Here’s the latest weekly progress report on the Android Lollipop 5.1 updates. Let’s call this one the Turkey Week edition.
[If the OS release process is new to you, please see this PWK blog post for some background on what goes into the OS release process.]
Moto G (1st Gen.) - I’m happy to tell you that this build went to the Sprint lab this week. We passed SLATE on Friday and submitted to the lab on Monday.
As we stated last week, there is still a chance we run into something, but as long as NO issues are discovered (really, really) late in the process for the new build:
- We’re scheduled to exit the lab on December 2nd.
- We’ll do a public soak test with a small number of our members immediately following, starting on December 3rd.
- We’ll roll out the over the air (OTA) update to the Moto G (1st Gen.) devices starting on December 11th.
- It will be a staggered rollout, with full availability by December 15th.
“No news is good news” is true as far as lab progress is concerned, so we’re looking forward to hearing nothing until December 2nd on the Moto G.
Moto X (1st Gen.) - The dog food testing has been going very well, and we’re happy with the state of the build on this device, to the level that the build was submitted for SLATE testing with the hope of getting the device in the Sprint lab on November 30th.
There’s still a chance we’ll run into something (as we have already discovered on Moto G), but as long as NO issues are discovered:
- We’re working with Motorola and Sprint to try to accelerate the lab schedule, and if we do, that will mean exiting the lab on December 4th.
- We’ll do a public soak test with a small number of our members immediately following, starting on December 7th.
- We’ll roll out the over the air (OTA) update to the Moto X (1st Gen.) devices starting on December 14th.
- It will be a staggered rollout, with full availability by December 16th.
It’s been a huge effort by all of our internal and partner teams to get this in before the end of the year. These dates are aggressive, but we’re keeping our foot on the gas to make this happen.
Moto E (1st Gen.) - No new updates for the Moto E, as we are hammering on the G and X to get those out. We’ll start cranking on this when we get back after Thanksgiving.
What about the RW App version 2.1?
This was pushed to our internal team on schedule this week, and we’re still on target to roll out starting on December 2nd, with a full rollout by the end of that week.
We want to get the app update out before the Moto G (1st Gen.) MR arrives, and we’re still on target to do this.
We’ll publish more updates next Tuesday after we get back and get the lay of the land on Monday.
Let me take this opportunity to wish you a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Personally, I’m very thankful to be able to work with this group of smart people every day, and with you, our amazing members, as we push to make Republic a real force in consumer wireless. Thank you.
As always, stay WiFi my friends.