State of the Beta, Vol 1
Submitted by TheProductGuy on Wed, 11/30/2011 – 8:00pm
Hello, TheProductGuy here again.
Now that we have phones out in the wild, we’ve enjoyed reading your comments on twitter, Facebook, and our blog.
Thank you for all the feedback, positive and constructive alike.
I wanted to pull together all the issues I’ve found on the various outlets and post them here so you can see what I see and what we’re working on for you to improve your experience. (I’ll put these in the forum as well before it launches so we can discuss them in a more organized way there).
So let’s take a look at what’s not working as expected with the phones as they stand and what we’re going to fix based on your feedback:
- Google Voice Support - We locked down the functionality of the dialer very tightly before we went live, resulting in not being able to enable this. I'll make sure we can support GV calls and VM.
- SMS - We need to add support for testing to short codes.
- MMS - We need to add full support for MMS.
- Voice Search - We'll include an updated version (also available now from the Android Market) coming in our first over-the-air software update.
- Caller ID blocking - We need to make sure that the caller ID is blocked for in and out bound.
- Improved call handover - I agree it’s clunky now, but it will improve in leaps and bounds as we add the single call and then automate. Those features will release over several updates.
- Can’t system reset the phone – We’ll add back in the option to factory reset so you can remove an account that has been used to download content from the market.
- Speakerphone inconsistencies - There are a number of audio issues that we’re looking to fix as far as the speakerphone is concerned.
- Phone reboots when plugged in – We’re looking to display a charging image if the phone is off and then plugged in, rather than reboot.
- Dropped calls on Wi-Fi - This one is more situational than the others and dependent on a number of factors. We’ll do our best to troubleshoot these on a case by case basis and will use this input for us to provide you with optimum settings for your home routers in the future.
These ten issues will be added to the beta area of the forum so that you can comment and add new issues as we move forward, and I’ll keep you updated. If there are any others that I may have missed, please post them as comments to this post and I’ll make sure we look at them.
Let’s keep the discussion going. We continue to advance the product and look forward to getting the first over-the-air (OTA) software update in your hands in the next week or so.
Until next time...