The Refer a Friend program is very near and dear to many of you. It was highly requested, and, like anytime our members want something, we’re inclined to give it to you. We rolled out an initial program and it just wasn’t good enough. So, we did what we always do; asked ourselves and asked you if we could make it better. We could, and we did.
Fast forward to where the Refer a Friend program is today and how it aligns with the program’s goals:
- Participation is low–both in regard to the number of members actually participating, and the number of referrals those members make. The vast majority of folks refer just one person. Ever.
- This tells us that the current program may not be the best value to you, our members.
- We want the next iteration to inspire more participation and make it easier to spread the word to others in a more meaningful way.
- We aren’t rewarding the right kind of behavior.
- With the current program, we are only incentivizing online, transactional-focused activities (i.e. sharing links).
- We’ve found that a lot of the times people talk about Republic is because of genuine excitement. Our strongest evangelists really do want to help reduce their cellular footprint, use WiFi to the fullest for calls, texts, and data, and keep costs down for our entire Community. We want to strengthen that experience and help you bring in even more like-minded people who’d be a great fit for Republic too.
- Today’s Refer a Friend program isn’t flexible.
- It only offers one type of incentive: financial. For many of you, an extra $20 credit is nice, but we could offer so much more to make your time with Republic better in a variety of ways.
- For example: Wouldn’t it be cool if you could save points for products, coveted RW swag, a grand prize trip to Republic HQ, or free service? Or what if we could pool points together and donate to a non-profit? We would love to have your input on what these incentives could be.
We’ve been big picture thinkers since 2011 – always willing to try new things, but focused on giving people the power to improve the quality of their lives. We believe that word of mouth is our best asset, and we’re on a mission to identify the right ways to reward our strongest brand advocates that are more relevant and meaningful.
So where do we go from here?
At the end of the day we have two options: Keep the current program running and potentially confuse everyone with a separate, competing program. Or, we focus all our energy into working with you to test and try new ideas. We’re choosing the latter. Really, it’s all about you and how we can develop the best program possible. We rely on you, just as we always have, to make our unique model and services work.
So with that, our current Refer a Friend program will be coming to a close on October 31, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Any and all credits you’ve earned up until October 31st will still be processed and will of course still remain in your account. And, you will still be able to refer friends through the launch of our new Moto E smartphone (through 10/31/14), so you both still receive $20 credit towards service. For more questions regarding this change, please visit our FAQ.
As always, thank you for being such great members. We look forward to bringing you an even bigger, better Republic experience as we continue to disrupt the mobile industry. Please leave us any feedback you might have and please start leaving us any ideas for perks you’d enjoy for participating in referrals in our Think Tank. Thank you.