Now that Santa has finished delivering gifts and presents all over the world, he can focus on the really important things, like delivering software updates to your phones.
We have completed the coding and testing of the custom Android software for our devices to bring the software release up to 4.4.4. This update has been approved by the various parties, and we are ready to roll it out, starting with G and E.
We started the roll out process a couple of weeks ago with a small subset of devices, picked at random for a process called the “Soak”. This initial step is to make sure that we do a final test in the real world of the update process itself. A few lucky folks got the update a couple weeks ago, and everyone else will have access over the next week or so.
The soak turned up an issue on the Moto X (1st Gen.) that required us to resubmit that device to the lab for re-certification. We were able to work with our partners to get this re-certification done quickly and expect it to be ready in February. So, this initial rollout will only hit G and E, starting to roll out today and continue over the next week. The Moto X (1st Gen.) will then follow once the re-certification process is complete.
When your phone is ready to update, you will see a notification on your phone that says “Software Update Available”. Tap the notification to start the download process. This should take a few minutes to complete and the phone will give you full instructions on what to do. Check out this great resource in the Community for lots more details.
We're rolling out the release over the next week in randomly-selected batches again, so please be patient and keep an eye on your phone. Keep in mind that you must be on WiFi to download and install the software update.
What’s New for Moto E? That’s already on 4.4
- Android released a security patch after the initial release, so that has been included in this update. You won’t see any additional functionality updates, but it is important for you to do the update.
What’s New for Moto X (1st Gen) and Moto G?
- 4.4 adds some interesting new functionality to Android as well as some performance improvements
- The phone app has been redesigned to focus more on your contacts. Contacts will be shown when you access the phone app. To dial a new number, you will have to tap the dialer icon first.
- Immersive mode will allow videos, books, etc... to completely fill the screen. In order to see the controls, buttons, etc... when in full screen mode, you will have to swipe down on the screen to reveal them.
- Activation process - We have streamlined the activation process to make sure you can get up and running on your Republic device as quickly as possible. These changes were introduced with the Moto E, and will now be consistent. If you are already activated, you won’t ever see this, but I wanted you to know about it, because it took a lot of work
- Lastly, your phones will upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. You aren’t missing anything from 4.4.3. Everything that was in 4.4.3 will be included in 4.4.4
- As I mentioned earlier, this initial rollout will only hit G and E. The Moto X will follow in February.
These updates are a huge bonus for both you and us as they will all be on the same version of Android. I want to give a big shout out to the team that worked on these updates, both at Republic and Motorola. These guys really worked hard to get this out to you, and also to the Support and Operations teams that went through lots of testing cycles to get it ready.
But I know what you are going to ask next. Where is Android Lollipop (5.0)? Lollipop is a major rewrite and redesign of Android, so there is lots to do, and it has only just been made available outside of Google.
We are currently working with Motorola to plan out the releases for both flavors of X (1st and 2nd Gen.), the G and the E. More to come on this, but we are already on that path.
So, for now, bask in the glory that is 4.4 and happy updating
Stay WiFi my friends