Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving break. We are right back at it here at Republic, and as promised, here’s the latest weekly progress report on the Android Lollipop 5.1 updates.
[If the OS release process is new to you, please see this PWK blog post for some background on what goes into the OS release process.]
Moto G (1st Gen.) - No news is good news as we said. We’re still on track to exit the lab December 2nd.
As we stated last week, there’s still a chance we run into something, but as long as NO issues are discovered (really, really) late in the process for the new build:
- The build exits the lab on December 2nd.
- We’ll do a public soak test with a small number of our members immediately following, starting on December 3rd.
- We’ll roll out the over the air (OTA) update to the Moto G (1st Gen.) devices starting on December 11th.
- It will be a staggered rollout, with full availability by December 15th.
We are very much in the home stretch with this update.
Moto X (1st Gen.) - Unfortunately, we hit a snag late in the SLATE testing process with the Android Google certification process that required us to fix a bug and create a new build for resubmission. This will delay the Moto X update. We got the new build this morning and are re-running SLATE this week.
Here’s what that means:
- After exiting SLATE, we will enter the Sprint lab on Monday, December 7th (Changed from November 30th)
- We’re still going to try and accelerate the lab schedule, and if we do, that will mean exiting the lab on Friday, December 11th. (Changed from 4th)
- We’ll do a public soak test with a small number of our members immediately following, starting on Monday, December 14th. (Changed from 7th)
- We’ll roll out the over the air (OTA) update to the Moto X (1st Gen.) devices starting on Monday, January 4th. (Changed from December 14th)
- It will be a staggered rollout, with full availability by Friday, January 8th. (Changed from December 16th)
Why are we waiting until after Christmas? The primary reason is the risk involved. If there is a problem, we won’t have support from our partners over the Christmas week to resolve any issues. As a combined team, we’ll be running a smaller staff over the Christmas week, with critical team members unavailable (and they shouldn’t be available, it’s Christmas after all !).
It makes more sense for everyone involved to push out the update when we have full support available in the (unlikely) event that anything goes wrong. We would rather not tempt fate, especially with people travelling over the holiday period.
Moto E (1st Gen.) - We are looking to get a build for this from our partners at Moto in the next couple of days.
What about the RW App version 2.1?
Good news here, as this is rolling out to the Play Store today with a staggered rollout. This means that by the end of the week, it should be available to everyone.
A mixture of good news and not so good news this week, but we’re charging forward with the updates, and will continue to update you each week until these devices are updated.
As always, stay WiFi my friends.