Hey folks! It’s been a busy and exciting couple of months for the Product Team, and with the end of the year fast approaching we wanted to touch base with you guys. We’re guessing that some of you have accurately surmised why we’ve been off the map lately given the launch of the Moto X™, but we know that some of you enjoy getting a deeper look at the goings-on. So in today’s post, we’ll take a look at a few of the numbers from launch, as well as touch on what we’ve been seeing and doing behind the scenes.
Some of you may have heard we launched a phone recently . For you number crunchers out there, here are a few facts for you to chew on:
- You guys cleaned out about ⅓ of stock in the first DAY. Not month, not week. DAY. And, we’re continuing to see high numbers as time goes on. (Thanks to some great partners, and some deft acrobatics from Supply Chain & the exec team, we’re keeping pace with you).
- About 15% of existing members have upgraded to the Moto X to date. The remaining 85% are hanging with their DEFY™ XT. Many of that crew have indicated interest in evaluating how things are going with Moto X before making the leap.
- 65% are choosing a black Moto X, while 35% are opting for white. We think both look pretty slick with the republic wallpapers we’ve all (you and us!) created.
- The most popular accessory? Screen-protecting films! We've noticed that some of you guys who get screen protecters elsewhere are having some audio issues due to discrepancies in the screen cutouts. Getting it through us might be a safe bet if you're still looking for one, or just do a double check that the one you're getting has the right cutouts.
- All the key stats related to support and our Help team—we’ve learned a lot and will put the learning to good use going forward. Check out our full post for more context.
- Alright this isn’t a number, but we’ve been seriously digging the positive reviews out there, by you guys and the press. We’ve got work to do (always will!) but we’ve come a long way!
With all these new members comes a lot of stress testing on the system. Though we always do extensive QA and testing, primetime almost always reveals some challenges. In this case, as we talked about in our last post, it’s more than we would have hoped for. About 3-4% of you encountered those. So what have we done from a Product perspective to address that? Together with our Help teams, we’ve been at the grind since launch making sure absolutely all of those folks are back to 100%. We’ve put all other projects and efforts on hold to focus maniacally on that, since getting everyone up and running right is our #1 priority.
As a result, we haven’t had as much time to push forward other projects that we’d also like to deliver (and that some of you are looking forward to having). However, we’re zeroing in on getting all issues solved now so that we’ll be full steam ahead in Q1—a few short weeks away. We’ll make sure to post another blog with updates then so that you guys continue to have a view into the goings-on.
And last but not least, one more update for you all...the DEFY XT Beta phone will soon run out of stock! We’re thinking sometime in January, though it could be earlier or later based on how things go in the next couple weeks. We’re not planning to re-up stock, so if you’re on the fence, now might be the time to make a call. (If you’re not sure whether to get the X or DEFY XT, check out our comparison map in the online store, and read some of the anecdotal feedback in community).
We hope that you all have some good plans for the upcoming holiday! Remember to turn your phones off and spend some time with the fam’
Your Product Team
As always, please feel free to leave your questions and comments here.