Ok, here’s the next installment of the progress on the Lollipop software updates for your Moto X (1st Gen) and Moto E (1st & 2nd Gen.) phones. Sorry we didn’t get this out yesterday as promised, but we were waiting for some news on the progress.
As always, here’s the full back catalog of past updates:
[If the OS release process is new to you, please see this PWK blog post for some background on what goes into the OS release process.]
Updates in progress: Moto X (1st Gen) EMR is at 94% and the Moto G (1st Gen) Lollipop MR is at similar levels.
Moto X (1st Gen.) - We are rolling today as planned. We had 80% uptake on the soak and very good results.
Here is the current remaining plan:
- The Lollipop update will be a staggered rollout, starting at 20% today.
- We’ll take a look at the support impact to make sure we are helping those customers who are having issues as quickly as we can, and will roll another batch on Monday.
Moto E (1st Gen.) - QA (Quality Assurance) is still cranking on this build. We will more than likely need to get a new build from our partners to address some issues we have discovered. Firm dates are pending getting the quality to where we want it for your our members with this phone.
Moto E (2nd Gen.) - This device needed to go back through SLATE, and unfortunately, some new issues were discovered that require us to get another build from our partners. This needs to be tested and qualified. This has meant a delay in the schedule.
Current estimation dates for Moto E (2nd Gen.):
- We will re-enter SLATE on Monday, January 25th for a 1 week cycle.
- If there are no issues, we will enter the lab on Monday, February 1st (changed from January 18th)
- We’ll do a public soak test with a small number of our members immediately following, starting on Monday, February 8th
- We’ll roll out the over the air (OTA) update to the Moto E (2nd Gen.) devices starting on Monday, February 15th with the same staggered rollout process we have used for the other devices
Like last week, a mix of good news and a couple of unavoidable delays. Next week, we’ll report on progress of the X rollout and both the Moto E (1st Gen.) and Moto E (2nd Gen.).
Thanks for playing, and don’t forget to tip your waitstaff.
As always, stay WiFi my friends.