Number Transfers

Document created by sarahd on Aug 14, 2012Last modified by sarahd on May 3, 2016
Version 31Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Overview:

This document provides information regarding transferring your phone number to or from Republic Wireless. Learn how the number transfer process works, what information you need, and what you need to be aware of.

New to Republic Wireless? Join one of our weekly "Getting Started" webinars to hear our story, get an overview of basic Android functions, and ask your questions during the Q&A session.

What is a Number Transfer?

A number transfer is when a phone number is moved, or transferred, from one provider to a different one. This allows you to keep your phone number no matter what provider you choose. You may have also heard it referred to as porting, which is the internal industry term.

When you first sign up with Republic Wireless, you'll be given a new phone number. Once you've activated your new phone, you'll be able to transfer your number from a different provider or you can change your number.

How Number Transfers Work

When you request to transfer your number to a different provider, there are certain guidelines that both providers have to follow according to the FCC. These guidelines exist so that the old provider knows for sure that you're requesting the transfer and not someone else.

As an example of how the number transfer process works, let's say that you just just signed up with Republic Wireless and now you want to transfer your number (that's currently with, say Verizon) to your new Republic phone. This is how the process works:

1 Icon.png

Submit Number Transfer Request

First, you would fill out submit a number transfer request from your Republic My Account portal (tutorial below).

2 Icon.png

Number Transfer Request Sent to Your Other Provider

The request will then be sent to Verizon to verify that all the information you provided is correct.

3 Icon.png

Verify Number Transfer Request Info with Your Other Provider

If the information you provided matches what Verizon has, Verizon will let us know and provide a date and time that your number can be transferred. If the information doesn't match, they will let us know what's incorrect. We'll then let you know via email and you'll need to correct and resubmit your request (tutorial below).

4 Icon.png

Provide Number Transfer Date

Once we receive the date and time that your number will transfer to Republic, we'll send you an email.

The number transfer process typically takes less than 48 business hours, but can sometimes take up to 7 business days in rare cases.

Transfer My Number to Republic

This section will explain everything you need to know about transferring your number to Republic, including:

Before I Submit a Number Transfer Request

Before you submit a number transfer request, there are some things you need to know or do upfront and there's also information you'll need to gather about your account with your other provider.

What I Need to Know or Do Upfront

• Will my number transfer?
    Most numbers can transfer, but there are some that can't for various reasons. Check to see if your number can be transferred to Republic using our Number Transfer Checker.

• Should I cancel service with my other provider first?
    No. Your service line with your other provider has to remain active while the transfer takes place. If you cancel your service beforehand, it could result in a loss of your phone number. Once your number is with Republic, then you can cancel with your old provider.

• How long will it take to transfer my number to Republic?
    Most transfers take less than 48 business hours, but can take up to 7 business days in rare cases.

• Will my voicemails transfer along with my phone number?
    No. Learn how to save voicemails to your computer from this article.

• Should I turn off call forwarding before I submit my request?
    Yes. If the number you'd like to transfer to Republic is being forwarded to Google Voice or a similar service, you should turn off forwarding before submitting your number transfer request.

Information I Need About My Other Provider

Before you submit your number transfer request, you'll need to gather some information about your account with your other provider. Each provider will need the following info:

• The phone number you're transferring.
  • Your account number with your other provider.
  • Your PIN number or password with your other provider.
  • Your billing address with your other provider.

Please use the chart below to determine where to find this information and what your other provider requires. If you don't see your provider below, please contact the customer service department of your other provider to get the above information.

ProviderAccount NumberPIN/PasswordAdditional Notes
AT&T Wireless

You can find your account number on your bill or by signing into your online account.

*For bundled services, account number will be 12 digits listed under your wireless account summary.

Enter the password you use when signing into your online account.

*For bundled services, you'll need to call customer service to get your 4 digit PIN.

If you need help getting any of this info, please contact AT&T at 800-331-0500.

Boost MobileEnter your 9 digit account number. Please contact Boost Mobile at 888-266-7848 if you don't know your account number.Enter the 4 digit PIN that you use to sign into your online account.If you need help getting any of this info, please contact Boost Mobile at 888-266-7848.
Consumer CellularYou can find your 9 digit account number by signing into your online account.

Enter the last four digits of the account owner’s SSN.

After submitting this number transfer, you’ll need to open a Help ticket with Republic and attach a copy of your Consumer Cellular bill dated within the last 30 days.

If you need help getting any of this info, please contact Consumer Cellular at 888-345-5509.

Google Fi

Google Fi will provide your account number and PIN/password once you go through the cancelation steps provided here.

Google Fi will provide your account number and PIN/password once you go through the cancelation steps provided here.

When going through Google Fi's cancelation process, make sure to choose Transfer your number to another carrier.

If you need any help getting this info, please go to their Help Center.

Google VoiceEnter your Google Voice phone number.Enter the last 4 digits of your Google Voice phone number.

Prior to transferring a Google Voice number, you’ll need to unlock it by following the instructions here. There is a one time $3 fee (charged by Google Voice) to transfer your number away from Google Voice (the fee is waived for users who transferred their numbers into Google Voice).

If you need any help getting this info, please go to their Help Center.

LycamobileEnter your 11 digit account number. Please contact Lycamobile at 866-277-3221 if you don't know your account number.Enter your 4 digit CIP number. Lycamobile sends this number via text when you first register your account online.If you need help getting any of this info, please contact Lycamobile at 866-277-3221.
Sprint

You can find your account number on your bill or by signing into your online account.

Enter the security PIN you use when you call Sprint customer service. You can also view your PIN from your online account by following these instructions.

If you need help getting any of this info, please contact Sprint at 888-211-4727.
T-MobileYou can find your account number on your bill or by signing into your online account.

Usually this is the last 4 digits of the account owner’s SSN or the voicemail password, if one was set up.

If you need help getting any of this info, please contact T-Mobile at 877-453-1304.

U.S. Cellular

To obtain your account number and PIN/password, please contact U.S. Cellular at 888-944-9400.

To obtain your account number and PIN/password, please contact U.S. Cellular at 888-944-9400.

Verizon

Enter the security password you use when you call Verizon customer service.

If you need help getting any of this info, please contact Verizon at 800-922-0204.

Submit a Number Transfer Request (Legacy Portal)

Once you've gathered the necessary info, follow these steps to submit your number transfer request:

Detail Images

(click to enlarge)

Follow the below step-by-step tutorial
My Account Sign In - Existing Account.png

Sign into My Account via a web browser.  This can't be done within the Republic Wireless application. 

Transfer Quick Links.png

On the Home page, under Quick Links, click Transfer my existing phone number.

Transfer Available Actions.png

Under the Republic number that you wish to replace with your existing number, tap Available Actions.

From the dropdown menu that appears, select Transfer My Number.

Port step 1.png4.On the next page, type in the number you want to transfer to Republic, then click Start transferring.
Porting BTN.png5.

Enter your current account details. You'll need your account number, PIN, and account billing phone number for your current provider. Check out our Number Transfer Guide to help you find the info you need.

Once you've entered your info, click Save account information.

• Account number
    Usually found at the top of your bill statement or in your online account if you pay your bill online.

• PIN (Personal Identification Number)
    Verifies who you are and essentially gives permission to transfer your number to another provider.

Republic requires you to enter a PIN during the number transfer process. If you're not sure what your PIN with your current provider is, contact your current provider.

• If you have a PIN on file with them, use that PIN to complete your number transfer request.
    • If you don't have a PIN on file, ask your current provider to create a PIN on your account.

• Account billing phone number
    This is the billing phone number listed for your account with your current service provider. It can usually be found on your account info page with your current provider.

• If you're transferring from an account that has only one line, enter the number you're transferring.
    • If you're transferring from an account that has multiple lines, contact your current provider to determine what your billing phone number is.
Port step 3.png6.

Enter the billing address for your current provider.

(This is the billing address your current provider has on file for the number you want to transfer to Republic.)

Once you've entered your info, click Save account billing address.

The next section will explain the next steps that Republic will need to perform in order to process your transfer. You'll also need to agree to the terms and conditions before submitting your request.

Submit a Number Transfer Request (New Portal)

Once you've gathered the necessary info, follow these steps to submit your number transfer request:

To access the new portal, click on the banner that's at the top of your My Account portal when you first sign in.

New My Account Portal Banner.png

Detail Images

(click to enlarge)

Follow the step-by-step tutorial
I Want To.png1.From the Manage Service Lines page, click on the I WANT TO... banner for the service line you'd like to transfer your number to.
I Want To Transfer My Number.png2.Click Transfer My Number.
Number Check.png3.

1 Icon.png  Number Check

Enter the phone number you wish to transfer and click Arrow Submit Icon.png. We'll check to make sure your number can transfer to Republic.

Provider Details.png4.

2 Icon.png  Provider Details

Click Provider Name and select your other provider's name from the drop down list. If you don't see your provider listed, select Other at the bottom.

Enter your other provider's Account Number and Account PIN/Password and click Arrow Submit Icon.png.

Tip: If you don't know your other provider's Account Number or Account PIN/Password, please review this section or contact your other provider.

Billing Information.png5.

3 Icon.png  Billing Information

Enter the name and billing address that's listed on your account with your other provider and click Arrow Submit Icon.png.

If it's the same as what we have on file for your Republic account, check the box to auto-populate your info.

Confirm Number Transfer Request.png6.

4 Icon.png  Confirm Number Transfer Request

Review all of the info you entered for accuracy. Any errors could delay your request.

Review the Terms and Conditions and check the box next to I agree to the Terms and Conditions.

Enter the phone number you're transferring and click Checkmark Submit Icon.png.

Tip: Once your request has been accepted by your other provider, you'll be notified via email. You can also come back to your My Account portal to check status. Please also review the After I Submit a Number Transfer Request section.

After I Submit a Number Transfer Request

After you've submitted your number transfer request, there are a few things you need to be aware of or you may have a few questions.

• Number Transfer Processing Time
    Number transfers typically take less than 48 business hours to process, but can take up to 7 business days in rare cases.

• When to Cancel With My Other Provider
    Do not cancel service with your other provider until your number transfer is complete. Canceling your other service beforehand, can result in a loss of your phone number. Once your number has been successfully transferred to Republic, you can cancel your service with your old provider.

• Incoming Text Messages
    After your number has been transferred to Republic, you may experience up to a 72 hour period where text messages won't be received. You'll still be able to make/receive calls and send text messages.

• Voicemails
    Voicemails on your old phone won't transfer to your Republic phone. Learn how to save voicemails to your computer from this article.

• Transferring from an iPhone
    If you're transferring from an iPhone, you'll need to turn iMessage off after your number has transferred to Republic in order to receive text messages. iMessage won't route text messages to Android phones.

Check the Status of My Number Transfer (Legacy Portal)

1. Sign into My Account.

2. Click My Account.png at the top of the page.

3. Click My Phones.png.

4. You'll see Transfer Status for any number transfer requests under the Current phone number section.

• Processing
      Your number transfer is still in progress.

• Error
      There was an error in your number transfer request. You should receive an email with details on the error and how to correct it. See the Troubleshooting section for more info.

Check the Status of My Number Transfer (New Portal)

To access the new portal, click on the banner that's at the top of your My Account portal when you first sign in.

From the Manage Service Lines page, find the service line that you placed the number transfer request on. There are four types of statuses you may see:

Number Transfer Processing.png

Number Transfer Processing

This means that your number transfer has been submitted and is currently awaiting acceptance from your other provider.

Number Transfer Accepted.png

Number Transfer Accepted

This means that your number transfer request has been accepted by your other provider and they've provided a date and time that your number will transfer to Republic.

Number Transfer Error.png

Number Transfer Error

This means we've received an error with your number transfer request. An error reason will also be displayed. You'll need to verify the information you submitted on your original request and resubmit.

Number Transfer Rejected.png

Number Transfer Rejected

This means we've encountered an internal issue with your number transfer request. A Republic Help team member will be contacting you via email to advise what the issue is.

Transfer My Republic Number to a Different Provider

We'll be happy to help you transfer your number to a provider of your choice.

Note: If you intend to keep your account active and would like another number assigned to your phone, please contact Republic Help before you begin the transfer process. (This allows us to make a necessary change so your service line does not automatically cancel when your number transfers.)

In order to transfer your number to a different provider, you'll need to contact the new provider and advise them you'd like to transfer your number from Republic Wireless.

Please note: Republic Wireless numbers are considered as VoIP numbers and not wireless numbers. Some providers may not allow transfers from VoIP to wireless.

Your new provider will ask you for the following info:

• Your account number, which is your Republic Wireless phone number.
  • Your phone number, which is the phone number that you're transferring.
  • Your billing address, which is the address that's associated with your Republic account.
  • Your PIN number. As a service provider, we're unable to set a PIN for you. However, you could try the zip code that's associated with your Republic account.

Once your number has been transferred, Republic Wireless will cancel service for that phone line. Your Republic account will be closed if no service lines remain active on the account.

Troubleshooting

If you receive an error stating that we're unable to transfer your number to Republic, it may be for one or more of the following reasons. You'll be notified by a Republic Help team member if you receive an error or rejection.

• I Received an Error
    Some of the info you submitted in your transfer request may be incorrect. Please see below for how to correct common transfer errors.

• No Network Availability
    While our coverage is extensive, there are certain areas where we can’t provide numbers based on our network’s availability. You can still join Republic with an out-of-area number where we do have availability. We continue to work on increasing our coverage areas.

Note: We currently don't offer services in Hawaii, Alaska, or New Hampshire. However, non-coverage areas are not limited to these states.

• Number is Being Forwarded
    Transferring a number that is being forwarded to Google Voice or a similar service may cause errors.

• Number is a Republic Number
    At this time we're unable to transfer a number from a Republic phone to a Republic phone on a different account due to an internal systems issue.
    If the phones are both on the same account, you can submit a Help ticket and request to swap the numbers between the two phones. If you're upgrading or replacing your phone and wish to transfer your number to the new phone, please see Upgrade or Replace before ordering your phone.

• Number isn't Transferable
    In the number transferring world, there are a lot of rules and regulations that can get pretty complicated. If any of these rules or regulations can't be met by either provider, the number transfer won't be allowed. In some cases, these rules can be corrected. Either way, you'll receive an email explaining the situation in detail.

Other Issues

• The transferred number is deactivated on your old phone, but doesn't show up on your new phone
    If you received an email from Republic that your transfer is complete, but your transferred number isn't showing up on the phone you transferred it to, please complete the following steps on your Republic phone to reset Republic credentials:

1. Make sure your phone is connected to WiFi.
  2. Open the dialer, then dial *#*#8647#*#*
  3. The arc icon will disappear and reappear after about a minute.
  4. Restart your phone. (If the arc icon didn't reappear after you entered *#*#8647#*#*, it should then appear after your phone restarts.)
  5. The transferred number should now be listed as your phone number on the dashboard of the Republic Wireless App.

Correct an Error (Legacy Portal)

Please contact your other provider to verify account number, PIN, billing address, and billing account telephone number if you received an email about an error with your number transfer request.

Once you've verified your info with your other provider, please follow these steps to correct and resubmit your number transfer request:

1. Sign into My Account.

2. Click My Account.png at the top of the page.

3. Click My Phones.png

4. Click the Retry button.

5. Verify or correct the account number and PIN, then click Save account information.

6. Verify or correct your billing address (this should be the address on file with your other provider), then click Save account billing address.

7. Verify or correct your account billing telephone number (this should be the account billing phone number on file with your other provider), then click Save account billing telephone number.

8. Read the terms and conditions, click the checkbox to agree, then click Submit.

Correct an Error (New Portal)

If you received an error on your number transfer request, you can correct it yourself from your My Account portal. An error means that some or all of the information you submitted doesn't match what your other provider has on file for you. You should have received an email from us advising what the error is, but you can also check the status by following the below steps. Please verify the information with your other provider before resubmitting your request.

Tip: If you received a Number Transfer Rejection, a Republic Help team member will contact you via email.

Detail Images

(click to enlarge)

Follow the step-by-step tutorial
Service Line Error.png1.From the Manage Service Lines page, click on the service line that has the number transfer error.
Correct Info.png2.

Review and Reenter

Review what the error is and verify that info with your other provider.

Once verified, click the Edit Edit Icon.png icon next to the section where you need to make a correction.

Enter the corrected info, and click Arrow Submit Icon.png.

Confirm Number Transfer Request.png3.

Confirm Number Transfer Request

Review all of the info you entered for accuracy. Any errors could delay your request.

Review the Terms and Conditions and check the box next to I agree to the Terms and Conditions.

Enter the phone number you're transferring and click Checkmark Submit Icon.png.

Tip: Once your request has been accepted by your other provider, you'll be notified via email. You can also come back to your My Account portal to check status. Please also review the After I Submit a Number Transfer Request section.

5 people found this helpful

Outcomes