Data Usage Policy

About the Data Usage Policy

We learned a lot about our members’ cell data usage from our Beta, and how usage can vary drastically across the board. We shared some of this data with our members, and one thing you asked us to do is manage the 1% of folks who use tons and tons of cell data. We agree it’s good to keep this in check, because it ensures we can keep Republic WiFi focused and healthy! So, our Data Usage Policy, commonly referred to as “data management,” is designed to address only that top 1% of cell data users while still providing everyone else with low monthly plans.

We've broken down the limitations based on whether you're using native (non-roaming) or roaming towers:

For all the legalese, please go to section 19(b) of our Terms of Service.

Cell Data Limitations

Native Towers

Each bill cycle, you get 5GB of cell data per service line to use while on Sprint's towers. If you use more than this amount, we'll lower your cell data speeds until your monthly bill cycle renews, unless you're eligible for a free pass.

Roaming Towers

Every Republic Wireless member has reduced speeds while roaming and an allotment of 25MB of roaming cell data per service line per bill cycle.

*Throttling is applied independently to native and roaming data; throttling your roaming data speeds will not affect your native data speeds (and vice versa).

Free Pass

A free pass allows you to exceed Republic’s cell data limitations (native data only) once in a six month cycle without reducing (or throttling) your native cell data speeds.

Native Free Pass

The first time you go over 5GB of cell data (excluding roaming data) per service line, or if you’ve gone six consecutive bill cycles without going over, we’ll give you an additional 5GB for that service line to hold you over until your bill cycle renews.

You can earn another native free pass by going six consecutive months without hitting the 5GB threshold. You can repeat this process, but you can only have one native free pass on your account at a time—they do not roll over.

*Our ever-attentive lawyers compel us to remind you:  In the unlikely event of any conflict between this summary and our Terms of Service, our Terms of Service takes precedence over this summary.

FAQ

Will you let me know if I’m getting close to the throttling point for native (non-roaming) cell data usage?

Absolutely! We’ll send you an email when you’re getting close, when you’ve actually gone over and if you have a free pass available. Once you hit your bill cycle date, you'll be reset back to full speed.

*Roaming cell data usage will always have reduced speeds and a 25 MB cap per service line per billing cycle.

Will I be charged if I exceed my data limits?

Absolutely not. If you exceed your native (non-roaming) cellular data limits, only your cellular data speed will be reduced. For roaming cellular data, there is 25 MB cap per service line per billing cycle. If you exceed that amount, cellular roaming is turned off for that service line until your next billing cycle.  You can still use WiFi at full speed as much as you want. We also give you a free pass for native (non-roaming) cellular data once every six consecutive months you go without going over your data speeds.

Will unused data from this month roll into next month?

No, unused data will not roll over into the next month.

What apps use the most data?

Any type of video streaming (like Netflix or YouTube), music streaming (like Pandora or Spotify), or anything that uses GPS (like Google Maps).

Will social media apps use all my data?

The short answer is no. It really depends on how much you use social media throughout the day and if you’re watching a lot of videos (which uses more data) or just scrolling through (which doesn’t use a lot of data). For an average user that checks Facebook a few times a day, you will probably only use 1 or 2MB a day. Remember, you only need to keep track of when you’re using it on cell.

Tip: You can turn off the setting on Facebook that auto-plays videos, check it out here.

What can I do to limit my cell data usage?

You can keep track of your cell data usage from the Data Usage feature in the Republic app. You can also check out some tips and tricks we've put together to help you reduce your cellular footprint.

theproductguy has also written a couple of blogs advising how you can reduce your cellular footprint by adjusting the settings on your phone:

What is the Data Usage feature in the RW app?

The Data Usage feature is a way for you to keep track of how much data you’re using, whether it’s cellular, WiFi or roaming. You can also see which apps are using the most data.

How do I use the Data Usage feature?

Go to the Republic Wireless app on your phone, tap menu in the top left corner and tap Data Usage. From there, you can select what type of data you would like to see: Cellular, Roaming or WiFi. You can also select to view a date range or create a custom one. Click here for more info on how to use this feature.

What’s the difference between the data usage found in Settings and the data usage found in the RW app?

The data usage found under Settings records any type of data used and combines them. The data usage in the RW app is specifically designed to break down your usage by Cell, Roaming and WiFi. This way, you can know exactly how much you’re using at any given time for each category.

Why can’t I see data usage information on my DEFY XT?

The Data Usage feature is specific to the RW app, which is only available on the Moto E, Moto G, and Moto X phones.

Reduce Your Cellular Footprint

Below are some tips on how to use less cell (and more WiFi! )

You can also check out a couple of blogs written by theproductguy, advising how to reduce your cellular footprint by changing some settings on your phone:

• Track your data usage
    Use the Republic Wireless App's Data Usage charts to keep track of how much cellular data you use and which apps use the most cellular data.

• Manage your phone's handover sensitivity
    Under Settings in the Republic Wireless App, you can manage which networks are allowed to use automated handover.

• Cache music for offline listening instead of streaming
    Google Play Music can pin audio for offline listening, and other music apps often have offline modes available.

• Sync apps only on WiFi
    Change sync settings for apps so that files and settings only sync when you're connected to WiFi. In Google Drive, make commonly used documents and files available offline.

• Use offline GPS navigation
    The Google Maps app allows you to download maps for offline use. Other offline navigation apps can be found in the Google Play Store.

• Close unused apps
    If you're not using an app, it could still be open and using data. Tap the icon on the bottom right of your home screen to view open apps. Swipe an app preview to the right to close it.

• Use airplane mode
    When you're in range of WiFi, place your phone into airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on. This will keep your phone from searching for cell signal.