Republic Labs

Document created by sarahd on Mar 6, 2015Last modified by sarahd on Oct 1, 2015
Version 24Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

RepublicLabs_masthead_900x230.png

Republic Labs Overview

What is Republic Labs?

Republic Labs is, essentially, BETA testing new Republic products and features. It's our way of directly involving our members in the development process. Join Republic labs to become a tester, participate in exclusive BETA projects, and help shape our company.

How it works

If you opt-into Republic Labs and are picked for a lab, we’ll send you a detailed outline of what to expect including timeline, tasks, and check-in dates, so you can be sure of exactly what you’re signing up for.

Once you've been selected for a lab

At the beginning of each week in your lab, we’ll shoot over a set of tasks for you to complete along with a survey so you can let us know what you liked and what maybe needs to go back to the drawing board.

Compensation

This is all purely voluntary. Any compensation will come in the form of getting early access to cool new tech and features, working with our awesome research and development teams, and playing an integral part in helping make Republic even better.

FAQ

How do I sign up for Republic Labs?

It's super easy! Just go to our sign up page and provide your email address. If you're already a Republic member, you should use the email address that's associated with your Republic account.

How will I know if I've been selected for a lab?

We'll send you an email that includes a detailed outline of what to expect including timeline, tasks, and check-in dates, so you can be sure of exactly what you’re signing up for.

How long do the labs last?

Different labs will have different timelines, but most will span an average of 4-8 weeks.

Do I have to sign anything to participate in a lab?

Each lab will have its own Terms & Conditions, which we’ll need your express agreement on in order to move forward (no spilling the beans on our top secret projects! ).

How do I provide feedback on a lab?

There are two ways you can provide feedback. Once you've been provided with the lab details, you will be given access to a private Community where you can discuss the lab with other testers and provide feedback. We will also send you weekly surveys via email to fill out and send back to us.

Can I share what I'm doing in a lab in public Community spaces?

We prefer you use the designated private Labs space we give you at the beginning of the lab to discuss with other members. If you're experiencing an issue, you can open a ticket with our Help team.

What if I have a technical issue while testing?

If you're experiencing a technical issue with your phone while participating in a lab, please submit a Help Request, either from your phone or by going to our Help Center.

I signed up for Republic Labs but haven't heard anything, when will I hear something?

Patience grasshopper, patience. Republic Labs is an ongoing program. We begin labs as quickly as possible, but are careful not to rush anything. Rest assured, whether accepted or not, you will receive an email ahead of the launch of each lab. Make sure you're checking the email account you used to sign up with Republic Labs.

How do you select testers for a lab?

Each lab will require different parameters. Some labs require specific devices, service plans, account features (e.g. number of devices on the account), or environmental features (e.g. frequently roaming or having LTE coverage). We build a set of all members that requested to be in Republic Labs who may meet these requirements, then select random testers from this set.

Do I have to be a Republic member in order to sign up and be accepted for a lab?

Most of our labs will be for existing Republic members, however, there may be a select few in which we will include non-members.

What kinds of people are you looking for (i.e. I'm not a techie; can I still participate)?

You don't need to be a techie. We're looking for enthusiasm and a willingness to help us test new ideas that members, like you, have suggested in the Suggestions and elsewhere.

Each lab will be different, but you'll get all the information you need up front to make up your mind if you want to be in the lab or not. We'll lay out what needs to be done, and how you can help us. Did we mention enthusiasm and participation?

Will you accept everyone who applies? Is there a limit to the number of people who can participate?

Anyone who signs up for Republic Labs will be added to our list for current and future labs. This means, that even if you aren't a candidate this time, you'll still have access to the Republic Labs Headquarters to see what we're up to. Maybe next time you'll be exactly what we're looking for.

Would I be selected for a lab even if I've said negative things about Republic Wireless in social or the Community?

Absolutely! We need all kinds of people to help make Republic even better. You would especially be welcome if we're able to fix one of the things you were unhappy about. That being said, you'll still need to follow the Community Guidelines.

Why was I not selected for a lab?

There are many reasons why you may not be selected for a particular lab: type of device, plan, account owner/user, bill cycle date, and the list goes on. Each lab requires a focused set of tests and results. It really depends on what we're testing and what we need for a particular lab.

What if I'm selected for a lab that I don't want to participate in?

Not a problem, you can opt out at any time by contacting Republic Help. We'll remove you from the lab and you will no longer receive any emails from us. The removal process can take up to a week. You can always opt back in later for future labs when they're presented.

What if I cannot promptly perform the tasks assigned to me in a particular lab?

Life happens; and if we're lucky, it happens a lot. We understand that something in your personal life may interrupt your participation in a project part way through. Simply let us know by contacting Republic Help and we'll remove you from the lab. You're always welcome to reapply when life settles down for you again.

How do I opt out of Republic Labs?

You can opt out by contacting our Help team and we'll remove you from our list. After that, you won't receive any more emails from us (may take up to a week to go in to effect).

I opted out of Republic Labs, but am still receiving emails, what should I do?

It can take up to a week to completely remove you from our system.  If it's been longer than that, please reach out to our Help team to verify.

Lab 1: Maestro

maestro-badge.pngWhat is Maestro?

Maestro was our very first project in Republic Labs! Maestro was set to test a new way to make plans more fair and more flexible, giving you the opportunity to save even more off your monthly bill. With Maestro, we tested a new set of tools in the Republic app that made cell data management much easier. We also tested the concept of members only paying for the data they use (Republic Refund™) and new plan options that dial in on your usage habits and adjust your cell data to fit your lifestyle.

Lab 2: Salsa

Salsa_patch.pngWhat is Salsa?

Salsa was our second project in Labs where we tested a new feature, cell to WiFi handover.  Cell to WiFi handover allows calls to switch from a cell network to a WiFi network without dropping the call. Prior to the Salsa Lab, calls could only hand over from a WiFi network to a cell network – say, as you’re walking out of your home to get the mail. Now, when you walk back inside your home, your phone will detect your WiFi network and switch the call back. No more dealing with cell tower dead zones when you’re near a good WiFi signal!

Attachments

Outcomes