Republic Wireless 3.0 FAQs

Document created by sarahd on May 10, 2016Last modified by beng on Mar 6, 2017
Version 58Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Overview:

This document provides FAQs regarding Republic Wireless 3.0. Please review the following announcements for what these FAQs will address:

Republic Wireless 3.0 Phones FAQs

What are the Republic Wireless 3.0 Phones?

See Republic Wireless Phones for a complete list of our supported phones.

What Operating System do the Republic Wireless 3.0 phones have?

All Republic Wireless 3.0 phones come with either Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow®, Android™ 7.0 Nougat®, or Android™ 7.1 Nougat®. For phone-specific information, click the tech specs links at Republic Wireless Phones.

If I buy one of the Republic Wireless 3.0 phones from Republic, can I later use it on a different provider?

Yes. All of the Republic Wireless 3.0 phones are unlocked, meaning you can take them to a different provider as long as the phone meets the new provider’s Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) requirements.

Bring Your Own Phone FAQs

Can I bring any unlocked phone to Republic Wireless?

You can only bring approved phones to Republic. All of our supported phones are listed in Republic Wireless Phones. The reason why we only allow approved phones is because our WiFi + Cell technology is unlike any other provider and we want to make certain that the service and experience you receive from us has been thoroughly tested and meets our standards.

When looking for phones to purchase that will work with Republic, you'll want to follow the instructions in Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP).

If I bring my own phone to Republic, what coverage will I have?

All BYOP phones use our GSM provider. For Republic members looking to upgrade to a 3.0 phone and bring your own, this means your coverage will be different from what it currently is. To check the coverage of BYOP phones, go here.

Are existing Republic Wireless phones eligible for Republic Wireless 3.0?

Only Republic 3.0 phones and approved BYOP phones are eligible for Republic Wireless 3.0. There are several reasons for this that are explained in further detail here.

Is it possible to unlock a 1.0 or 2.0 phone that I already have with Republic and take it to a different provider?

No. Much like the DEFY XT, there are technical limitations preventing our older phones from being able to be taken to a different provider. For more info on this topic, check out The Evolution of Republic.

If I bring an approved Republic Wireless 3.0 phone, will I need anything special for it to work on your service?

You’ll need a Republic Wireless SIM card and the new Republic Wireless 3.0 app in order for an approved phone to work on our service. Additionally, your approved phone will need to be on Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow® or later.

Note: SIM cards from Republic 1.0 and 2.0 phones cannot be used in Republic 3.0 phones.

My phone is similar to phones that are approved; can you approve my phone to work?

Our goal is to continue offering approved phones over time. However, we still need to ensure that each phone we offer brings you the best experience and thus we still need to test each and every variant. Additionally, some phones in the Android marketplace aren’t designed for use on North American operators, so we need to ensure the phones have correct cellular bands and approvals.

What happens if I use a Republic SIM card on a phone that isn't approved by Republic?

Using a Republic SIM card on a phone that hasn't been approved by Republic violates our acceptable use policy (section 19(a) of our Terms of Service). Basically, if you don't use a Republic SIM card with an approved phone along with the Republic app, it puts our network in jeopardy. If you don't move your Republic SIM card to an approved phone and use the Republic app, we'll regrettably need to cancel your service line. 

Republic Wireless Clear Choice Plans FAQs

Plans

What are the Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans and pricing?

• $15 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data
  • $20 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data + 1GB of Cell Data
  • $30 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data + 2GB of Cell Data
  • $45 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data + 4GB of Cell Data
  • $60 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data + 6GB of Cell Data
  • $90 Unlimited Talk, Text, and WiFi Data + 10GB of Cell Data

Which phones are eligible for Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

For a complete list of phones that work with our Clear Choice plans, go here.

Is roaming available on the Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

Voice roaming is included on the Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans. Voice roaming includes calling, texting, and picture messaging. Data roaming isn’t available on Clear Choice plans. You can check cell coverage here.

Do you plan on having a data roaming option on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans in the future?

No. Republic's mission is to save its members money while offering the best possible service experience. Given the current expense of data roaming, we find offering it incompatible with that mission.

Why is the Unlimited Talk & Text plan $15 on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans are an entirely new offer and have tons of new features like a wider range of phones, more timely phone launches, faster Android updates, and a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) experience. With these features, we've also made changes to price points.

Is there a Republic Refund option for Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

No. We don’t have plans to introduce Refunds to the Clear Choice plans.  For more details please read Introducing Clear Choice Plans by our SVP, Jon.

Is there a $5 WiFi only option on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

No. All of our Clear Choice plans include cellular activation with a Republic SIM card.

Is there a low (less than 1 GB) cell data plan option on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

No. However, in order to provide the best value for the great majority of users who use less than 1GB of cell data, we aggressively priced the 1GB plan at just $5 above the cost of the basic Talk & Text plan.

Why does the price per GB double from the $20 plan to the $30 plan?

The cost for each of the Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans follows the same basic structure of $15 for the base (unlimited talk, text, and WiFi data) plus the cost of cell data per GB. Each GB costs $7.50 with the exception of the first GB. We aggressively priced the 1GB plan at just $5 above the cost of the basic Talk & Text plan because we want to ensure our members that use smaller amounts of cell data have the lowest possible cost.

How do taxes work on Republic Wireless Clear Choice Plans plans?

Talk and text taxes are charged separately from cell data taxes, and are broken out separately on your bill statement as well. You can find additional tax information here as well.

Data and Plan Changes

Is tethering available on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

Yes. Tethering is available on the Clear Choice plans. Check out our Tethering document for more info on how tethering works.

Does unused data roll over to the next bill cycle month?

No. If you have any unused data left at the end of your bill cycle, it won't roll over to the next month.

What happens if I use all of my cell data before my next bill cycle date?

You won’t have access to cell data until your next bill cycle date. However, you can upgrade your plan from the Republic Wireless app to get more cell data if you need it1.

Can I add buckets of data on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

No. If you run out of data during your monthly bill cycle, you can upgrade your plan as many times as you need you to1.

How do plan changes work on Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans?

If you need to change plans, you may do so from the Republic Wireless app. If you’re downgrading your plan, the plan change will take effect on your next bill cycle date. If you’re upgrading your plan, it will take effect immediately and you’ll be charged the difference between your current plan and your new plan1. Plans changes will not affect your bill cycle date.

Example: If you’re currently on the $20 plan and you’d like to upgrade to the $30 plan, you’d be charged $10 and receive an additional 1GB of cell data.

1Keep in mind that all plan changes are set to recur every month. So if you only need the extra data for the rest of your bill cycle, you’ll need to set up a second plan change (after you’ve upgraded your plan) to downgrade your plan back to where you want it for your next bill cycle.

Do I have to be connected to WiFi if I need to change my plan?

No. If you run out of cell data and you need to upgrade your plan, you can do so as long as you have a connection, either WiFi or cell.

Is Republic Wireless system data counted against my data usage?

No. Republic Wireless system data isn’t counted against your cell data usage.

Do the Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans have any data saver tools in the Republic Wireless app?

No. Since we’ve been able to get out of the ROM of the phone, we no longer have granular control over which apps have access to cell data and which ones don’t. You can still use the Republic Wireless app to turn cell data on and off without affecting Republic system data that’s required for SMS, MMS, and plan changes. You can also adjust Google and third party app settings to help with saving cell data. Here’s a great resource for some of the most popular apps: Optimize Apps for WiFi.

Why are you changing plans every year, is this something that will continue to happen?

At Republic, we continuously look at feedback from our members and we’re always looking to provide them with the most value for both cost and service. With each new evolution of Republic, we listen to what our members are saying and adapt to their needs as best as possible.

International

Do Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans include international?

No. However, you can use any Republic Wireless phone on WiFi anywhere in the world to call or text to U.S. and Canadian phone numbers (For 3.0 phones, you'll need to keep your Republic SIM card installed). Additionally, if you’re traveling and wish to use a local provider’s SIM (either domestic or international), you can switch them out as you need to. Just make sure to keep your Republic service line active (meaning you keep making payments) so that when you come back, your service and phone number will still be there. You’ll also want to check and make sure that the other provider’s SIM will work with your phone.

What happens to calls and texts while using a Republic SIM card and I'm not around WiFi?

Calls will be sent to voicemail and text messages will be stored until you have a data connection.

What happens to calls and texts while using a non-Republic SIM card?

As long as you keep your Republic Wireless service active (meaning you keep making payments) and you haven’t uninstalled the Republic app, calls will be sent to voicemail and text messages will be stored until you reconnect your Republic SIM card.

Republic Wireless 1.0 and 2.0 Members

Are the Republic Wireless 1.0 and 2.0 (Refund) plans going away?

No. We have no plans to stop supporting the 1.0 and 2.0 (Refund) plans.

Will my coverage change if I upgrade to a 3.0 phone?

If you purchase a phone from us, your coverage will be optimized based on your location and the phone you choose, but it may not necessarily be the same as it is currently. However, your coverage will be different if you choose to bring your own phone. For more information, please read Republic Wireless Coverage.

Which phones can I keep my Republic Wireless 1.0 or 2.0 plan on?

Moto E (1st and 2nd Gen.), Moto G (1st and 3rd Gen.), and Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen.).

Can I keep my Republic Wireless 1.0 or 2.0 plan on the Republic Wireless 3.0 phones?

No. Republic Wireless 1.0 and 2.0 plans rely on our unique ROM build. In order to offer our members a wider range of phones, more timely phone launches, faster Android updates, and a BYOP experience, Republic Wireless 3.0 uses an all-new architecture that moves us out of the ROM. Republic Wireless 3.0 phones aren't compatible with our 1.0 and 2.0 plans.

I already have Republic Wireless service; can I change my existing service line (phone number) to Republic Wireless 3.0?

Yes, as long as you have an eligible Republic Wireless 3.0 phone you can change your existing service line (phone number) to Republic Wireless 3.0.

How does billing work when changing from 1.0 or 2.0 plans to Clear Choice plans?

When changing from 1.0 or 2.0 plans to Clear Choice plans, you'll be prorated for your old and new plan. Meaning, your old 1.0 or 2.0 plan will be prorated as a credit from the day you activate your new phone up to your bill cycle date. Then, you'll be charged a prorated amount for your new Clear Choice plan from the day you activate your new phone up to your bill cycle date. The sum of those two amounts (the credit and the charge) is what you'll either be charged or credited for.

Do you plan to offer any new phones on Republic Wireless 2.0 plans?

No. Republic Wireless 2.0 phones and plans rely on our unique ROM build, which creates limitations to how quickly we can provide new phones and updates. Check out our COO’s blog about The Evolution of Republic for a more detailed explanation.

After changing a service line (phone number) to Republic Wireless 3.0, can I change back to Republic Wireless 2.0 if I have the proper phone?

Yes. As long as you have or purchase an eligible Republic Wireless 2.0 phone (Moto E (1st and 2nd Gen.), Moto G (1st and 3rd Gen.), or Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen.)), you can change your service line back to Republic Wireless 2.0 plans by activating that phone as a replacement on your existing service line.

I currently have a Republic Wireless 1.0 plan; if I change to Republic Wireless Clear Choice plans, can I go back to my old 1.0 plan if I have the proper phone?

You can go back to Republic Wireless 1.0 plans one time after May 5, 2016. You'll have 14 days from the time you change to Clear Choice plans to decide if you want to go back to 1.0 plans or not. Once 14 days have passed, you won't be able to go back to 1.0 plans (you will be able to go back to 2.0 plans). If you haven’t used your one time change back to 1.0 plans, you can activate an eligible Republic Wireless 1.0 phone as a replacement on your existing service line. When you activate it, you’ll be presented with the Republic Wireless 2.0 plans. Go ahead and choose a 2.0 plan and then open a Help ticket to have your plan changed to 1.0 manually.

Can I keep my 10% Beta Member Service Discount and/or any other promotional discount on Republic Wireless 3.0?

Yes, as long as you keep your existing service line active. Please see Beta Member Service Discount FAQ for more details about the requirements for this specific discount.

Coverage FAQs

For information about Republic Wireless Coverage, go here.

98 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes