15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 AM by jazzman RSS

When does RW come out with a new phone?

johnm.ra6gfm 1 Bar

I've been reading a lot about Republic Wireless and would like to sign up. I have heard that there are some drawbacks from the Mortolla DEFY XT phone they have now. I have read on another website that RW is coming out with a new phone this year. So I am wondering do I pay the $249 now or do I just wait until they come out with the new phone? I've also read that they may provide a $99 credit towards the upgrade like they did with the LG Optimus. Could someone help me out with what I should do on this.

• Re: When does RW come out with a new phone?
    wvfisher Ambassador

https://community.republicwireless.com/message/88319#88319

there are lots of speculation on this issue, heres a recent posting

roys 3 Bar

Ok, no news as to an upgrade credit.

If you do want to sign up now, I suggest the $99 phone with the $29 plan.  The plan is only $29 for as long as you have the phone.  So if you are going to update to a new phone this fall when they are expected to come out, you save money with the $29 plan.

carlh 5 Bar

New phones are expected to start appearing in "late summer".   Whether that means August or September is anybody's guess.

The decision for whether you should buy a Defy now depends on two things:

a) Whether you can tolerate the Defy's issues until next phone(s) are available.

b) How long it takes to pay off the cost of the Defy in monthly savings.

If you buy a Defy now and will want to get the next phone on day 1, that means 4-5 months of monthly savings vs. your current plan.   With the $99 Defy XT, and your current phone plan is $55-60 - you'll break even.   if your current phone plan is more than $60 or you keep the Defy more than 5 months, you'll be ahead.

Be aware that it's not just the phone that has "issues".   See The Complete List of Caveats - Republic Wireless Wiki

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi johnm.ra6gfm,

There has been no suggestion from republic wireless of any dollar amount as an upgrade plan from one phone to the next. Please do not count on it. It was done for the Optimus because the phone was being EOL'd. (As of June 4 this year, the Optimus will no longer work on republic wireless' service.) The DEFY XT is not being phased out with a drop dead date like the Optimus. There were also far fewer Optimus owners than DEFY XT owners, making such an offer far more affordable for them than for the DEFY XT owners.

There is an option to buy the DEFY XT now for $99 and pay $29 a month for service. If you know that you'll want to switch to the new phone later this year, then that may be a more affordable way to manage it, rather than paying $249 for the DEFY and $19 a month and then buying a new phone later this year. Details: What plans do you have?

Do not count on the DEFY XT having any resale value when you decide to buy your next phone. Currently there is no way to reactivate a deactivated phones, making the phones' resale value effectively limited to the value of a phone for parts or for use as a miniature android tablet.

There are other things on this service that are very different than other services you've experienced before. Here are some examples:

1. MMS is not currently supported - this means no sending pictures/videos/audio clips by text.
    2. Short codes are not supported - those are the interactive texts to 5- and 6-digit numbers, like for paypal/facebook/netflix confirmation, "Voting" for your favorite reality tv show contestant, promos from your local coffee shop.
    3. No Text-to-Email gateway - these are often used by alert systems to send a text to your_phone_number@your_provider.com.
    4. No account suspension - other services offer a vacation hold. Nothing like that exists here, yet.
    5. Your number cannot be changed - if you move to a new area, republic wireless does not change your phone number.
    6. No tethering - the phone cannot be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
    7. If you "root" your phone it will void your warranty and republic wireless will not support it any longer. You cannot return a rooted phone under the Beta 30 Day Guarantee.
    8. Dialer cannot be programmed to accept a “pause” or “wait.”
    9. Cannot change the amount of ring-time before the call goes to voicemail:
    10. No international dialing. Calls may only be made to the US and Canada
    11. No porting of a Google Voice number to Republic.
    12. Republic is a VOIP provider, not cellular. When attempting to port out from RW, it is considered a landline, which may limit options.
    13. No transferring of phones to new users or splitting/combining of accounts. No sales of service, though selling phone hardware is OK
    14. No BYOD.
    15. No services in Hawaii, Alaska, or New Hampshire. (Phones will work there, but no local numbers, and you can't register order a phone to be shipped to those states)
    16. Voicemail has no "envelope" information and very few features.
    17. Voicemail notification is not delivered if phone does not have cellular service.
    18. 911's caller id will be the underlying Sprint number unless the call is over wifi:

Make sure you are aware of the Refer a Friend Program before you order.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

carlh 5 Bar

Wow, southpawkb, that list grows more impressive with each repetition.  I may have to take a few of those items and add them to the Wiki...

BTW, don't know if you noticed, but we got seanr to say that your #5 restriction may not be a hard and fast rule.   But trying to get him to confirm that appears to be a challenge, as expected.  Check it out: Re: numbr change

southpawkb Ambassador

carlh wrote:

Wow, southpawkb, that list grows more impressive with each repetition.  I may have to take a few of those items and add them to the Wiki...

I know. It hasn't been posted in full in quite a while, so I thought it was time to share the whole list. It has actually been compiled as a collaborative effort by the Ambassadors. Just noticed another thing missing from it, too - no X11 number can be dialed, other than 911.

BTW, don't know if you noticed, but we got seanr to say that your #5 restriction may not be a hard and fast rule.   But trying to get him to confirm that appears to be a challenge, as expected.  Check it out: Re: numbr change

I saw that, but I haven't updated my list since he didn't respond to your challenge. I think the policy remains "no changes" and they might be human enough to consider bending the policy when the circumstances warrant it.  Meanwhile, I'll keep quoting policy so as not to get anyone's hopes up falsely.

~~~~~

johnm.ra6gfm 1 Bar

Hi Southpawkd, thank you for all of the information. Under "10. No international dialing. Calls may only be made to the US and Canada" Does this just mean when I am connected to the Sprint Network or does it also apply to the wifi as well? Also, if I am in Canada and connected to wifi will the phone work?

"17. Voicemail notification is not delivered if phone does not have cellular service." So does this mean if I have my phone connected to wifi and I don't hear it ring that people can't leave me a message?

Currently, I pay a about $45 a month this includes the extra charges I incur with the few minutes and texts I use to Canada in addition to a few slow internet minutes checking my email.  Its with the AT&T family plan. The phone is a pantech. It is not a smart phone and the internet is really slow. From what everyone has said it sounds like the $29 plan is the way to go but I'm interested in getting advice.

My main reason to get the phone is that I do want to save some money but would also like to have more wifi access. I had an i-phone 3 around 18 months ago and gave it up as I was usually paying over $100 with all the extra charges added up. Keeping in mind that this is in Eastern Canada with Bell Mobility who has rates that are a lot higher than in the U.S. That being said I think I would still have to pay $50 minimum for an iphone with the AT&T family plan.

Thanks again,

JM

southpawkb Ambassador

Good morning johnm.ra6gfm,

johnm.ra6gfm wrote:

Hi Southpawkd, thank you for all of the information. Under "10. No international dialing. Calls may only be made to the US and Canada" Does this just mean when I am connected to the Sprint Network or does it also apply to the wifi as well?

This applies to both cellular and Wi-Fi. I believe some folks have installed apps like Skype and Vonage to be able to make international calls, with billing through accounts with those apps, but the republic wireless service does not include international calling and since they are not set up to bill for it, you cannot dial international numbers without an added service from a third party.

Also, if I am in Canada and connected to wifi will the phone work?

As long as the network you are on does not block VoIP calls then yes, the phone will work on Wi-Fi anywhere in the world, to make calls to US and Canadian numbers.

"17. Voicemail notification is not delivered if phone does not have cellular service." So does this mean if I have my phone connected to wifi and I don't hear it ring that people can't leave me a message?

There are two parts to answering this question for you. First explaining what I meant by "voicemail notification" and second explaining what is meant by not having cellular service. (I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.)

• "Voicemail notification is not delivered" does not mean that people cannot leave voicemail. It means that if the phone rings and you do not answer, and if the call goes to voicemail, and if you caller leaves a voicemail message, then when there is no cellular signal available, the phone will not notify you that you have received a voicemail message. If you are in a situation where you often do not have a cellular signal, you can simply train yourself to check your voicemail on a regular schedule, and any messages that have been left for you will be there.
        • "If the phone does not have cellular service" does not simply refer to times when the phone is on Wi-Fi. In a typical situation when you have the phone connected to Wi-Fi, the cellular radio is still active and voicemail notifications are still received. However, some people subscribe to republic wireless because they have absolutely no cellular signal at their home. They plan to use Wi-Fi for calls and texting, and that works great, except that since they have no cellular signal, the phone does not receive voicemail notifications. Those people need to know about this caveat before they subscribe. Another example is that a lot of people put the phone into Airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi on. This disables the cellular radio and is often done to extend the battery life. This would be another example of a situation where the voicemail notifications will not be delivered to the phone.

Currently, I pay a about $45 a month this includes the extra charges I incur with the few minutes and texts I use to Canada in addition to a few slow internet minutes checking my email.  Its with the AT&T family plan. The phone is a pantech. It is not a smart phone and the internet is really slow. From what everyone has said it sounds like the $29 plan is the way to go but I'm interested in getting advice.

It does sound like the $29 plan will save you some money. You're looking at $99 for the phone, and then $29 (plus some taxes and government fees, so maybe $35) per month. In order to break even with your $45/month plan, you'd need to keep the $99 phone for 10 months, after which time you are saving $10 a month. You won't have to worry about the calls and texts to Canada costing extra, so you won't have to think twice about how often to call and text people there. I'm not sure what sort of cellular data you are accessing but with the republic wireless phone you'll have Sprint's 3G network, and eventually the Sprint 4G network once republic wireless releases that phone, if you decide to upgrade. Sometimes the internet can be painfully slow on 3G. It varies by the time of day. It's always much faster on Wi-Fi. Accessing the internet over 3G will consume your battery more quickly than over Wi-Fi, so these are good reasons to find a Wi-Fi hotspot if you need to do a lot on the internet. I don't notice it being slow when just using e-mail, unless I need to send a picture.

My main reason to get the phone is that I do want to save some money but would also like to have more wifi access. I had an i-phone 3 around 18 months ago and gave it up as I was usually paying over $100 with all the extra charges added up. Keeping in mind that this is in Eastern Canada with Bell Mobility who has rates that are a lot higher than in the U.S. That being said I think I would still have to pay $50 minimum for an iphone with the AT&T family plan.

It sounds like this is definitely worth trying out, then. Make sure you know all about the Money Back Guarantee - you can return the phone for a refund within your first 30 days if you don't like it. (There's a shipping cost of $10+tax for returning the phone.)  The Android experience is not exactly like the iPhone experience, so you may have some adjusting to do there, depending on how familiar you were with the iPhone. Of course you're already comfortable using the Community to get answers to your questions, so you know there's plenty of help here as you make that adjustment!

~~~~~

rajivb Ambassador

On the Canada issue, see this discussion - Will republic wireless roam in canada and this discussion here - I'm in Canada now ,  everything is working..    but ?

johnm.ra6gfm 1 Bar

Thanks everyone for replying. I added a few questions related to this above. In regards to waiting for the new phone, I think in my situation it may make sense just to go with the $29 a month. Nonetheless, I have not fully decided. I have placed a few questions to southpawkd in regards to this. Please feel free to reply. Thanks again!

robertp.ywnw06 2 Bar

Don't do it!

As we used to say in the Army - "You'll be sorry."

jazzman 2 Bar

I have no complaints at all! You left one of the most important things out on the list "no more 80 dollar bills for the service I am getting for 23  bucks". So for the guy that says, don't do it, enjoy the payouts that you have to do each and every month  for a set amount of minutes, set amount of Data and the privilege of paying for it. As for me, I would rather spend the money on something else, I think I'll take my wife to lunch!