11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2013 9:21 AM by bitflung RSS

Wifi Calling Ports

mahesh 3 Bar

I trying to use Wifi Calling feature at my work, but my question that's bugging me is there a way for the phone to authenticate through different ports my work Wifi blocks alot of ports for security reasons and I need wifi calling feature the most at my work. Can RW change the ports that the phone uses to call out and receive calls?

• Re: Wifi Calling Ports
    rajivb Ambassador

What happens when you try to use WiFi at work? Also, do you have the ear of the IT administrator?

mahesh 3 Bar

Our network blocks alot of stuff its a stupid network, I can connect to the wifi and use the wifi for email and browser but I cannot you the RW calling service, I am the Site technician and the District technicians control the wifi.

rajivb Ambassador

Can you show the District technicians the document Ports, Routers, and Traffic and ask them nicely to unblock the needed ports?

mahesh 3 Bar

Tried our district is a bit hard to work with, They block everything that they don't use. That's why I was wondering if it's possible to use a port that is least likely to be blocked. Maybe 8080 I don't know.

rajivb Ambassador

What about getting one of the District technicians to join Republic Wireless? Well worth a try - dangle the low cost of RW carrot!

mahesh 3 Bar

I tried and the district pays for Verizon phone which they use heavily.

rajivb Ambassador

Any possibility of getting your phone put in the routers DMZ? (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mahesh 3 Bar

I really can't do anything special on the network, if I change some thing students might be able to use devices on the network and not pay attention to the teacher. I can't have students messing around on their laptops. I want to know if RW can change something on their end I also tried VPNing into my home network but VPN outside from my work network is blocked.

rajivb Ambassador

Are you allowed to put IP addresses into the DMZ of the router? Give your phone a static IP address by using its MAC Address. Then put that IP address into the DMZ. May be the district technicians will allow you to do that. No students would ever be impacted by such a move. This would be limited strictly to your phone's hardware address.

Getting RW to change I believe is a more difficult task than getting your Districts IT personnel to co-operate.

I am just offering the suggestions that I myself would try.

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi mahesh,

No. They selected those ports for technical reasons.  If you have cellular service at work, use that.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

bitflung Ambassador

mahesh wrote:

I trying to use Wifi Calling feature at my work, but my question that's bugging me is there a way for the phone to authenticate through different ports my work Wifi blocks alot of ports for security reasons and I need wifi calling feature the most at my work. Can RW change the ports that the phone uses to call out and receive calls?

I don't believe RW would ever be able to change the ports for you. There are two meaningful reasons why i say this:

1. using the standard ports that they do, a network admin has the ability to block VoIP calls. working around this is akin to Not Playing Well With Others. if your network admin is blocking ports without caring that they are used for VoIP, then that is his/her mistake, but SOME block VoIP intentionally and it is not RW's place to route around legitimate blocking. (skype does this, btw, and that is one of the reasons i think skype is a sleazy business).

2. if RW switched ports for you, would they later switch them for me? what if there is no set of usable ports in common between the two of us? or between the many thousands of RW users? it is much simpler for the networks to be properly configured than for the system to bend and twist around each network's configuration.

sorry, but you'll either have to get your network admin to open the ports, or not use wifi at work.

-bit