31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 11:27 PM by rajivb RSS

I can't make any calls. Why?

mczak 2 Bar

I got my Defy phone, charged it up, added some contacts, etc. But when I try to make a call I get a voice saying that I am not authorized to make the call. What happened?

• Re: I can't make any calls. Why?
    southpawkb Ambassador

Hi mczak,

Is this issue when you try to make Wi-Fi calls or cellular calls, or both?

Did you initially start your phone in a Sprint coverage area, using these instructions: Troubleshooting Activation for Motorola DEFY XT?

Have you seen this discussion, perhaps this process will help: Getting "not activated, call customer service"?  ...solution posted

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

mczak 2 Bar

I needed to enter the password for our wi-fi to connect. This will be interesting. I thought that the phone would automatically access the cell service if wi-fi is not available. I guess I expected too much.

rajivb Ambassador

It will automatically access cell phone service. But you have to activate the phone first. This is shown in the documentation that southpawkb pointed you to

southpawkb Ambassador

mczak wrote:

I needed to enter the password for our wi-fi to connect. This will be interesting. I thought that the phone would automatically access the cell service if wi-fi is not available. I guess I expected too much.

The whole point of the hybrid service is that both work, Wi-Fi and Cell. Yes, the fallback to Cell should be automatic if Wi-Fi is not available. If either is not working, there are ways to fix it, but I asked which one it was because the fixes for each are different. Please keep troubleshooting with us until both work.

~~~~~

mczak 2 Bar

I think I have activated my phone. I am connected to Wi-FI and can successfully call my land line. But, my text messages to my spouse's cell fail to send. How do I know I have successfully activated my phone?

rajivb Ambassador

Go to Settings->About Phone->Build Number The build number should be 1_65K_1027

If it is not, you should go to

Settings -> About phone -> Phone updates -> System updates

and do a system update. You have to have the latest build for the phone to work perfectly. There are various improvements that took place between H and K

See Software Update for Republic Wireless Motorola DEFY XT 1_65K_1027

and

OTA Update Common Issues

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi again mczak,

I see that rajivb has checked out your build number and the phone is not up to date there, but when you tried to updated it, it told you nothing was available.

There's also still the issue in your original post in this discussion that you hear voices ( ) when you try to make a call. I think your phone is probably not yet activated on the Sprint network. Once we get that resolved, then the update will probably become available, which will make it so you can text over Wi-Fi and improve other features, as well.

What I'd like you to do is turn off Wi-Fi for a little while. Settings > Wireless and Networks, tap the "Wi-Fi" item so that the checkbox becomes unchecked and gray.

Then while you're still looking at that screen, tap Mobile networks down at the bottom.

Make sure the settings in that screen look like this:

Data enabled - green check-marked

Data roaming - green check-marked (ignore the warning about charges, there are no data roaming charges with republic wireless)

Network mode - CDMA/EvDo auto

System Select - Automatic

Once it has a few seconds to adjust, what type of icons do you see in the upper, right area of the phone? You should see some bars indicating cellular service, and maybe a 3G icon.

If, instead of the 3G symbol and the bars, you have a red circle with a slash through it, then you do not have a cell signal.

If you have a blue triangle up there, then you are roaming and not on the Sprint network.

You will need to be in an area with Sprint service and at least 3 bars of signal strength in order to complete these steps.

Once you have a good Sprint signal, I'd like you to turn your phone off by pressing and holding the power button, then when a menu pops up, tap "Power Off." Let it completely power off, then press and hold the power button until it comes back on.

As you turn it on, please compare what it does with the steps in this document (click the link): Troubleshooting Activation for Motorola DEFY XT

If it does not go through any of this activation process as described, then you will need to go through the steps described in this discussion (click the link):Getting "not activated, call customer service"?  ...solution posted

If it still does not activate, then I suspect you are not in a Sprint area. To be sure, please follow these steps:

Launch the dialer as if you are going to call someone.

Dial *#*#4636#*#*

Tap "Phone Information"

Look about halfway down the screen and tell me what it says beside Location, for the SID.

You can also look it see whether it says Roaming or Not roaming below that.

~~~~~