57 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 1:08 AM by locosis RSS

Coverage map

granatmof 1 Bar

I'm attempting to found out what kind of coverage is supported by the cell network on the rare instances that I'm away from wifi. Does the service simply switch to Sprint's network, with no roaming off of Sprint's network?

Also I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place,.

• Re: Coverage map
    tiggs republicAdmin

Hello granatmof,

The coverage for cell is done by Sprint and here is their coverage map

gcks21a Ambassador

tiggs  The Sprint map is not correct at all.   I show solid green in Frederick, MD, but I can't make calls when I am in certain parts of town.

billmeek Ambassador

It could be that area is one having the 'no calling out while roaming' issue.  It could also the maps are out of date.  Here's a quote from my post SouthpawKB linked to (above) on RWUsers:

"It needs to be pointed out that the Sprint Coverage maps can be flat out wrong. Besides the difference between the Sprint Native Network and Sprint Home Network, there are constant changes in licensing agreements that are often not reflected within the coverage maps. It may take time before the coverage maps are updated to show the changes."

gcks21a Ambassador

billmeek wrote:

It could be that area is one having the 'no calling out while roaming' issue.  It could also the maps are out of date.  Here's a quote from my post SouthpawKB linked to (above) on RWUsers:

"It needs to be pointed out that the Sprint Coverage maps can be flat out wrong. Besides the difference between the Sprint Native Network and Sprint Home Network, there are constant changes in licensing agreements that are often not reflected within the coverage maps. It may take time before the coverage maps are updated to show the changes."

Yes, I used your instructions to find that we were actually on Verizon towers even though I didn't have a roaming indicator..  My point is that RW should not tell people to check the Sprint map, when they know it does not reflect their service area.

billmeek Ambassador

It's not the fault of Republic Wireless if Sprints maps are not updated correctly or do not accurately reflect coverage areas.  The Republic Wireless phone should have the same service coverage as any Sprint phone.

gcks21a Ambassador

billmeek wrote:

It's not the fault of Republic Wireless if Sprints maps are not updated correctly or do not accurately reflect coverage areas.  The Republic Wireless phone should have the same service coverage as any Sprint phone.

But Sprint phones do work in these areas so that's why the map shows green.

Ours can not because we can't use the Partners towers.

billmeek Ambassador

That's not totally true.  I can SMS, receive data, and get calls on cell.  I only have an issue placing an outbound call on cell.

From other posts in the forums I gather the issue of placing call out on cell is not universal on all roaming partners.

chere54321 2 Bar

I was so excited to get my phone today!  But when reading through the directions I saw that we are not supposed to attempt to set it up if we are not in a Sprint (I think the term used was) "home" area, as this will cause problems and it may not set up at all?  Does this mean that I should not turn it on at all until I am sure I am in a Sprint home area?  I'm dying to play with it but now I'm afraid to.  

So what should I do?  Go to a Sprint store and set it up from there?  I live in a small town 25 minutes from a Sprint store, but if that's the only sure way to get it started right, so be it.  But I would rather set it up tonight, of course!

Also, if the directions in the Motorola Defy XT booklet differ from the RW booklet in any way, do I follow the RWinstructions first, and then do what the Motorola booklet says to do after that?  Is there anything in the Motorola booklet that I should NOT do with the RW phone, or which might cause a conflict?

I want to avoid any problems I can.

I also just saw your comment about not being able to make a call in roaming areas, which sounds like a big drawback.  It seems odd that you can do all the other functions except the main one for a phone.  And did I understand that there is no MMS function at all on RW phones?

Thanks in advance for your response!

rajivb Ambassador

Look at the Sprint coverage map for your area. You will find a dark green area close to where you live by zooming in on the map. It should give you a fairly good idea of where you can activate the phone.

andreas Ambassador

You just need to be in an area that receives a Sprint signal in order to activate the phone. If you know that other people in your community have Sprint phones, then it's likely that you can pick up a signal. You definitely don't have to go to a Sprint store.

I would just go ahead and attempt to activate the phone. If it works, then great! If not, you'll just have to go out and head in the direction of the Sprint store until the phone picks up a signal.

billmeek Ambassador

You can try to activate where you are now.  If the activation fails, you can just travel to a Sprint "home area" and try again.  That's what I had to do to activate my phone.  If you do, I suggest printing out this document and carrying it with you:

Start My Motorola DEFY XT for the First Time | the republic

The calling out on cell issue does not affect all users.  I suspect that it's related to specific roaming carriers.  Republic Wireless has stated that it's a "timing issue" and can sometimes be correct by techs tweaking the settings of the phone:

Issue Status: Calls Outbound Over Cell May Fail to Connect

2 Bar

I'm not clear on what network types RW phones are supposed to access, but I have a Sprint phone right now that does not (or barely, depending on the weather) work at my home displayed in a "good" green area.  So "Sprint phones do work" isn't a blanket statement that's true for that map.

chere54321 2 Bar

If there is no dark green area within 15 miles of my home, am I going to have problems with this system...?  When I first looked into RW, the map showed dark or medium green all around me.  But I just checked it again to figure out if I should go to a better area (I live adjacent to a metro area, in a very small town) while setting up my new Defy, and now there is a lot of white showing around me, though my actual home area is surrounded by the medium green.  Should I go to an actual Sprint store, to be sure there is a good signal, maybe?  Should I even turn it on before I'm there?  I hate to have a problem if I can avoid it, but I'm dying to turn it on since it is charged up now.

andreas Ambassador

Not sure if you saw the other responses to your earlier question (these posts are kind of buried in the middle of an old thread), but you do NOT have to go to the Sprint store! Nor do you need to be in a "dark green" area of the map. If you home area is surrounded by green, then you likely have a signal right where you are.

Just turn the phone on...lol

chere54321 2 Bar

butbutbut...  I'm afraid... lol

I'm incredibly lucky with technology, especially considering that I'm in no way a master of it.. but it is possible that this luck is due to being manic about doing things just right the first time.. right?  

Thanks for the quick and reassuring reply.

glarepate 4 Bar

When your phone arrives follow the setup and activation procedures.  You don't need to be in the best coverage area for it to succeed in activating your phone and you don't need any cell coverage to use WiFi for calls or for web/data.

The only issue is that texts require a cell connection (not a 3G data connection, just voice).  That is scheduled to be be updated in January so that texts will go over WiFi.

And if you bought your phone after November 19th you have until 30 days after the OTA (over the air update) to check it out and see if it will work for you. 

kratt 3 Bar

Sprint service includes roaming on Verizon's network and others.  Sprint's MNVO's (Republic Wireless (RW) is one) don't provide roaming.  However it has been indicated by several people via this forum currently using RW that roaming is included.  Question is roaming still included with RW service?  Before I order I would like to have this answered by RW.

matthew 2 Bar

Currently on my LG, roaming does not work.

In the town I live in the Sprint map shows full green, yet I get 0-1 bars on my LG. People I know with both Verizon and US Cellular (Both CDMA) get 4-5 bars of signals on their phones in the area... so there is good CDMA signal in the area, but the RW phone does not use it.

2 Bar

Yeah, I'd take that coverage map with a grain of salt.  It's not very good in terms of cartography (Really?  Similar shades of green for everything?) or granularity.  My house says it's in a 'good' coverage area but we're lucky if we get one bar of service standing outside.  We had to get an Airave femtocell to make the service usable indoors; which is why I'm pumped about WiFi!  Other than that I have had good experience with Sprint's coverage.  YMMV though.

One of the best things about my Helio Ocean was that it would roam onto Verizon when Sprint wasn't available (like in the Metro).  So I know that partner roaming used to be possible on MVNOs.

prairiejane 2 Bar

jeadly wrote:

One of the best things about my Helio Ocean was that it would roam onto Verizon when Sprint wasn't available (like in the Metro).  So I know that partner roaming used to be possible on MVNOs.

Chiming in late really late here... I don't know what is meant by "MVNOs can't roam"....  I have been on a Sprint MVNO for over a decade and I roam all the time. I live in a rural area and drive all over the state to obscure little towns for my children's sports events and there's usually no Sprint service once we've left the interstate.  Similarly, my in-laws live in a rural area in a neighboring state and there are areas between there and our home without Sprint towers.  I only have coverage at their home because they are located less than 10 miles from an interstate. 

I have no trouble placing or receiving calls in a roaming area - my phone is set to alert me to roaming before completing an outgoing call or connecting an incoming call while roaming and it also beeps as I go in/out of a roaming area so I know when it's happening (sometimes at work when I go in the basement of one particular building!).  There are rural areas I frequent w/o Sprint or roaming coverage where I obviously get no service, but otherwise my service works exactly the same while roaming as it does while on Sprint.  So... I'm thoroughly confused by much of the chatter upstream here. 

emperordahc 3 Bar

Expect that roaming will NOT work for calls.

While roaming, texting and data always work for me. Voice only works on a few specific Verizon towers around here. Most do not.

We've had long threads about this in the past, on how to get into your service menu and see exactly what provider (Verizon, US Cellular, etc) you're roaming onto. Your phone will roam onto whatever tower it can grab, and it's often the wrong one.

kratt 3 Bar

I found the post by billmeeks a few weeks ago in regards to this topic.  Very detailed... good read.  He said roaming was working in many cases. I bookmarked it and now the post does not display anymore.  All of his other posts made the transition to the new software platform, but that one did not.

southpawkb Ambassador

kratt wrote:

I found the post by billmeeks a few weeks ago in regards to this topic.  Very detailed... good read.  He said roaming was working in many cases. I bookmarked it and now the post does not display anymore.  All of his other posts made the transition to the new software platform, but that one did not.

Hi kratt,

That post by billmeek is available here: On billmeek's websitePlease note that the link provided takes you off of Republic Wireless' website and the information provided is not owned or authorized by Republic Wireless.

tonyt 1 Bar

i have like 3 days to accept my "b" wave invitation to join RW.  have been stoked to join. my concern is sprint coverage. everyone where i live tells me sprint  is spotty at best. i live in NW louisiana. any help, any suggestions, any advice?.........would sure be appreciated

billmeek Ambassador

Republic Wireless has a 30 day money back policy.  Get the phone and test, test, test, .....

kratt 3 Bar

I received my phone today.  Wifi calling works great.  The phone is activated.  I appears not to connect to the local verizon tower tower that is nearest to my house (no signal).  Once I drive towards Sprint coverage it works.  I have a Verizon phone as well and it has signal by the rw phone does not.

SID = 4138 Grandfathered (last record PrimeCo Personal Communications)

billmeek Ambassador

Is that the SID from the Verizon phone or from the Defy XT when you do start getting service?

PrimeCo is defunct and the SID is used now mostly used Verizon Wireless.  Although portions were sold off to other carriers such as US Cellular and Sprint.

kratt 3 Bar

The SID is from the Verizon phone.  The RW phone has no connection to the mobile network.

billmeek Ambassador

Reboot your Republic Wireless phone to insure the PRL update took effect.

kratt 3 Bar

I rebooted several times but no luck.

billmeek Ambassador

Unfortunately pretty much anything else I would suggest at this point would only a shot in the dark.   You're probably better off submitting a support ticket using the "Ask us" option at the bottom of the search results page.

Getting Help from Republic

kratt 3 Bar

Done.  Thanks for your help.

kratt 3 Bar

Support has asked me to change a few settings.  I'll test later today.  What is the most current PRL? I downloaded the PRL from the internet that is currently in my rw phone and imported it to excel.  The SID 4138 was not in the PRL.

billmeek Ambassador

Since I don't have a Deft XT yet, I don't know what PRL should be on it.  Last time I looked, the Optimus S used a custom PRL 40443 and Sprint's standard PRL was 60683.  The Sprint PRL has likely been updated since then.

kratt 3 Bar

The PRL that is in my moto defy XT is 61007.  From what I read online this one is also used by one of the other MVNO's... Boost.  Sounds like I need another PRL.

billmeek Ambassador

If it is the same as the Boost PRL ,then unless something has changed, roaming is not enabled.  I'd actually have to look at the PRL from a Defy XT to be sure though.

kratt 3 Bar

This is what support suggested:  (not sure if this will force the PRL to update, data roaming was not enabled and  DMA /EvDo auto  was not selected in my phone)

Here are some things you may want o check on the phone- This will address roaming-

Press the Home Button
                            Press the Menu Button
                            Select Settings
                            Select Wireless and Networks
                            Scroll down and select Mobile Networks
                            Ensure that 'Data enabled' is checked
                            Ensure that 'Data roaming' is checked   

Select 'network mode' drop-down.  Ensure that DMA /EvDo auto is selected

Select 'System select' drop-down.  Ensure that Automatic is selected

Press Home when done. 
                            puzzler 3 Bar

billmeek wrote:

If it is the same as the Boost PRL ,then unless something has changed, roaming is not enabled.  I'd actually have to look at the PRL from a Defy XT to be sure though.

If roaming is not enabled that's the end of the road for this phone and for Republic.

RW had problems with roaming on the Optimus, so the way to solve it on the Moto is to disable roaming?

If this is confirmed, I hear Taps playing.

theproductguy should respond to this issue quickly.

billmeek Ambassador

It's possible that the same PRL number could be used by different carriers (Boost/Republic Wireless) but containing different configurations.  So the PRL number itself may not be definitive.  That's why I'd want to look at the PRL off the Defy XT.

Of particular note is that some of the Defy users are reporting that they can receive calls via cell, but not send them (the same as the roaming issue on the Optimus S).  If the tower SID were blocked via the PRL, they should not be able to receive calls either.

kratt 3 Bar

Yes it is possible the PRL numbers are the same, but different configuration.  However, my guess is the PRL is written by a Sprint Engineer or vendor and provided to the respective MVNO/placed in the sprint network.  Again my guess is if the configuration was same the numbers would be different as in file or software versions.  If the file has the same number but different configuration there could be a configuration management problem.  I will work on extracting the PRL from the phone.  If could be that RW is defaulting the phones to no roaming and only when a customer complains about roaming then suggesting adjusting the settings.  Or it could be a mistake in the default setup by the handset vendor.

gcks21a Ambassador

kratt wrote:

Yes it is possible the PRL numbers are the same, but different configuration.  However, my guess is the PRL is written by a Sprint Engineer or vendor and provided to the respective MVNO/placed in the sprint network.  Again my guess is if the configuration was same the numbers would be different as in file or software versions.  If the file has the same number but different configuration there could be a configuration management problem.  I will work on extracting the PRL from the phone.  If could be that RW is defaulting the phones to no roaming and only when a customer complains about roaming then suggesting adjusting the settings. Or it could be a mistake in the default setup by the handset vendor.

Wow, I hope not.  That would be a big mistake since the Roaming Issue was a widespread complaint on the Optimus.

So since you changed your settings, did that resolve the roaming issue?

kratt 3 Bar

I haven't been able to test it yet unfortunately.  But I will update when I do.  And it may be possible that RW will roam in most areas but not the area I am in. 

kratt 3 Bar

No it did not correct the issue.

kratt 3 Bar

Once I selected roaming the PRL updated and the phone rebooted.  I checked the PRL and it was different.  I downloaded the new PRL from the web and found my SID listed, but the phone still didn't roam.  Now RW support is telling me two different things.  One there is problem or bug with the defy for roaming (they are having same problem with other users) and the other is they don't have coverage for where I live (I live in a Verizon area that is sprint roaming).

kratt 3 Bar

The suggestions support gave did not correct the roaming issue.  PRL is still the same and I have no service in this area.

billmeek Ambassador

Just for reference, here's a graphic of the Boost coverage:

BO543STC.gif

Versus the full roaming coverage of Sprint that Republic Wireless should have:

mapvoicesprintStatic.png

kratt 3 Bar

I saw the same thing before signing up with RW.   I compared the coverage maps of other Sprint MVNO's to RW then made the decision to try based in part on the roaming.  That's why I am surprised the phone will not roam so far.   Thanks again for your help.

kratt 3 Bar

Once I selected roaming the PRL updated and the phone rebooted.  I checked the PRL and it was different.  I downloaded the new PRL from the web and found my SID listed, but the phone still didn't roam.  Now RW support is telling me two different things.  One there is problem or bug with the defy for roaming (they are having same problem with other users) and the other is they don't have coverage for where I live (I live in a Verizon area that is sprint roaming).

billmeek Ambassador

There are usually 2 CDMA providers for coverage areas.  The PRL isn't necessarily setup to use Verizon even if it is a local provider. 

I thought the same thing too and then found out different through some testing.  You might want to read through this (long) post of mine ... in particular part 3:

Republic Wireless Users Forums - Republic Wireless is a better value than you might think

2 Bar

billmeek:  I read the entire article, and I understand much better the issues discussed. I recommend that anyone reading this go to the link the billmeek posted and read it once, or twice, or as many times as necessary to grasp some of the fine points and to appreciate Republic Wireless service and what subscribers are getting for their money.

southpawkb Ambassador

tonyt wrote:

i have like 3 days to accept my "b" wave invitation to join RW.  have been stoked to join. my concern is sprint coverage. everyone where i live tells me sprint  is spotty at best. i live in NW louisiana. any help, any suggestions, any advice?.........would sure be appreciated

Hi tonyt,

Just wanted to second billmeek's advice to get the phone and test it like crazy. It's a very good return policy. I had no trouble at all returning the one Optimus I decided not to keep. (My daughter is too easily frustrated to deal with Beta glitches.)  Just keep an eye on the calendar because your 30 days starts ticking the minute the package is marked "delivered."

2 Bar

Just an anecdotal fun story...

My husband and I both have RW Optimas phones.  I was at home in NYC, and he was walking down the street in Hong Kong, on a recent trip.  When I called his number, it rang...  And we talked!

It was definitely not on wi-fi.... It was using cellular service in Hong Kong... somehow.

I was impressed... to say the least.

billmeek Ambassador

You should turn off the cell radio when out of the USA to protect yourself from some high inappropriate usage fees allowed by the Terms of Service:

REPUBLIC WIRELESS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO IMMEDIATELY TERMINATE SERVICE AND, IN ADDITION TO ANY AND ALL OTHER APPLICABLE CHARGES UNDER THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, CHARGE A MINIMUM INAPPROPRIATE USE FEE OF $500 AND/OR CHARGE $0.05 PER MINUTE FOR ALL CALLS MADE DURING SUCH PERIODS OF PROHIBITED USE, WHICHEVER IS HIGHER, CHARGE $0.04 PER SMS FOR ALL SMS’ MADE DURING SUCH PERIODS OF PROHIBITED USE, AND CHARGE $0.09 PER MB OF DATA CONTENT FOR USAGE DURING SUCH PERIODS OF PROHIBITED USE, AS WELL AS ALL APPLICABLE AMOUNTS DUE PURSUANT TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND THE SERVICE PLAN. (WE DO NOT REALLY WANT TO CHARGE YOU THESE FEES AND DO NOT EXPECT THAT YOU WILL DO ANYTHING THAT MAKES US THINK ABOUT IT. PLEASE BEHAVE.)

To understand why the phone can work outside of the USA see:

Republic Wireless Users Forums - Cell calls working outside of the USA? Why?

2 Bar

I have the same question about coverage.  Nearly all of the areas where we would need cell are in Off-network roaming.  Without roaming, the phone would make a good paper weight.  I hope that's not the case.  My wave is out of sight offshore, so I'll have time to benefit from the experiences of others.

ohio29 3 Bar

awesome to know

2 Bar

Coverage is Sprint yet when I use my sons sprint phone I had coverage but today couldn't get any coverage on the Defy with RW. I have finally made my decision on cancellation. For Arkansas Area it is only good if on I40 or I30 so I think I will settle with AT&T for full coverage and they have lots of Go Phone deals that will only cost me if I use it and I already have the iPhone to make it into a go phone which is a plus in no cost for a phone now just to get my money back from this Defy that I really wasn't happy with anytime you have a missed call you have to search for it rather then just unlock it and be obviously shown to you.

locosis 2 Bar

Ya I dont know why you would think the phone doesn't work outside the US. Let's say you have a wifi available your phone would still work and you would not be charged extra because of using a wifi connection. That is what I would do if I was outside the US just make sure when you use it to connect to a hotspot or something so you don't get all the extra fees.