0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2013 4:37 PM by miranda RSS

New Phones

miranda 1 Bar

RW said they will have new phones this summer. Does anyone know what phones are going to be available or when they are going to announce the new phones?

• Re: New Phones
    mchasal Ambassador

Nope, nobody knows what they are. The announced timeline is "late summer" for the first, so I would expect it in August.

phoenixtommy 4 Bar

Last Friday was the first day of summer. Nobody who knows is talking.

Likely? The end of summer -- not quite three months from now.

patmc2go 2 Bar

Has RW ever run a "survey" where you could provide input on the kinds of phones you might like, and even detail on what you'd be willing to spend for low/medium/high end?

I'm of the group that would be willing to pay close to full price (reduced profit?) for a high-end phone; larger screen.   For me the "phone call" is a small part of what I want from a device, so would buy a model that is a good fit for my other device needs (browse, social apps, email).

Survey could use a variety of brands / models to gather data regarding desire.... (but I bet that most decisions have been made, just not shared yet).   Still - if time..... 

So says a guy without an RW phone yet; but waiting the next wave of hardware.... will be jumping at one - hopefully a nice high end device.

P.

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi patmc2go,

patmc2go wrote:

Has RW ever run a "survey" where you could provide input on the kinds of phones you might like, and even detail on what you'd be willing to spend for low/medium/high end?

[...]

P.

Yes. They did that in April of 2012.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

patmc2go 2 Bar

Hmm;  was the result shared?  I tried searching here using "phone survey" and then "3 levels of phone", as that phrase was in one item found on the search, but no joy.   Just wondering what people liked, to see if what I'd like was popular....

southpawkb Ambassador

patmc2go wrote:

Hmm;  was the result shared?  I tried searching here using "phone survey" and then "3 levels of phone", as that phrase was in one item found on the search, but no joy.   Just wondering what people liked, to see if what I'd like was popular....

No. I don't believe the results were ever meant to be shared publicly. I'm very sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase. I thought you were just asking because you were curious as to whether RW sought input from the customers.

~~~~~

bocephous 5 Bar

Look what Verizon released today!

Verizon reveals the Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra and Droid�Maxx, introduces new in-house "X8" ARM processor - TechSpot

Motorola Maxx may be better than the Moto X

These items are the Moto Maxx:

Motorola looks to be stepping it up!

3500Mah battery

8 core processor

5" display

touchless controls

Moto X leaked in detail, including full specs and benchmarks - TechSpot

bocephous1

johnnysmooth 2 Bar

I so very much hope these or something like these is what RW is working with!!!

I am satisfied with the DEFY, But I was trying to wait to join RW till the new phones were out so I wouldn't need to Downgrade so much from my iPhone, but to be honest, The DEFY is superior to the iphone in many ways. I may only think that due to my hatred of the iPhone and all things Apple... But, Non the less the DEFY is nice.

But read this RW! I would gladly throw down $299 for a Driod Maxx!!! You hearing this? I would have to compare full specs, CPU and Ram to know if its a worthy step above the Ultra as how they are both 5" screens with very similar look. The extra batter alone is not enough for $100 price boost. But im excited to see what RW is bringing to the game! Also I'm curious about the Minis Wireless charging capability..?

PS,

Sorry I have no info of worth...

mchasal Ambassador

johnnysmooth wrote:

But read this RW! I would gladly throw down $299 for a Driod Maxx!!! You hearing this?

That price is the subsidized price with a 2 year Verizon contract. If RW offered that same phone, it would be more expensive. The list price on the Verizon site is $699.

phoenixtommy 4 Bar

If you check Verizon's pricing, their full retail (unsubsidized) price is $649. Not so cheap after all.

ALL of the phone that people are hoping Republic will offer (Samsung 4, HTC One, Droid Max, etc.) are ALL $600 plus phones. I don't think that RW will be selling them to us at a loss.

carlh 5 Bar

Umm, don't overlook that full retail prices have full (hefty) profit margins built-in.  It's no accident that they never put no-contract phones 'on sale'.  They want you to buy the subsidized phone and then keep paying for it after the contract is up.   What other expensive retail electronics do you buy at list price?

So if Republic's phone price is the same as other carriers unsubsidized price, they are making a nice fat profit on each one.   Not that they shouldn't - they should charge whatever the market will bear, that's capitalism, but that doesn't mean we should heap praise or thanks upon them for doing so.

mchasal Ambassador

Right, but I think the point is that it's not likely that these new phones will show up at the 2 year subsidized price. So maybe $699 is higher than the Maxx would come in at, but it would certainly come in a bit higher than the $299 subsidized price from RW. Maybe somewhere in the $550-$650 range is a more realistic thing to expect.

phoenixtommy 4 Bar

No praise of Republic intended.

I have no idea what these phone could really sell for. I just know that it's not going to be the oft-hoped-for-and-quoted prices of $99-$199-$299. And Republic is a low-volume buyer for a special version phone compared to Big Four (more like the Big Two and the Medium Two). But they also don't have the huge overhead costs of operating stores and massive advertising on TV, in magazine and inserts in Sunday newspapers and junk mail either.

And those prices have to include an allowance for 'spoilage,' too. Those phones that are returned as defective that aren't and that Republic has to eat, etc., etc., etc. I have no clue what their costs and profits on phones are.

johnnysmooth 2 Bar

I would still pay an upwards of $600 for a sweet phone, I just didnt expect RW to put that much into one. I really only ment I would gladly pay 299 for something like the MAXX or ULTRA, as in size, and function. But the specs are very close on both phones, idk if I'd pay the x$100for the MAXX over the ULTRA simply because the battery... But non the less would still buy the MAXX full price if RW offers it. I plan on paying full price for whatever the best phone is regaurdless! Ive only been with RW for 1 month and so far I feel I am a lifer! So full price for the $19.99/m option is definitely the way im going!

bocephous 5 Bar

I like your way of thinking but consider this. If RW offers the low end & the middle of the road phones first you may have a wait for the best phone. RW may have issues polishing the best phone to work right. I think it may take just a little extra finesse to make the new Flagship of RW worthy of being the crowned jewel.

Remember this phone has to beat the expectations of about a million people or more. 

bocephous1

johnnysmooth 2 Bar

Thats true, I didn't think of that. I just assumed they would all be out at the same time. Thats a good thought to consider. Im ok with waiting for a little while longer though, I still have 2 iPhones that function fully on my Wi-Fi. (As our house phones) So I only "need" one phone with active service for when im out or at work.

bdunni 2 Bar

Also keep in mind that as far as we know you'll have to use it on Sprint's network.  In many areas that means limited coverage and data coverage that can't really even be considered 3G...forget 4G. 

The reason Verizon can get people to pay so much is partially because they have the best network by far.  I hope that with the new phones comes a new partnership with Verizon or AT&T.  Or, perhaps, even multiple options like Straight talk.

carlh 5 Bar

Nothing is impossible, but a near-term phone with Verizon or AT&T as primary cell carrier is on the distant outskirts of unlikely.

However, a new phone with 4G on Sprint's network is guaranteed - RW has said as much.

dsrich 2 Bar

I am really curious if the RW firmware is portable enough to be added (sort of as an app) to the higher-end Moto phones.  This would allow RW to get whatever phone that Moto is making with the right firmware, and they could then carry the whole or most of the whole Moto line.  I know that I read a suggestion long ago of having the RW dialer as an app also, although I question the probability of that idea ever seeing the light of day.

phoenixtommy 4 Bar

Before we start thinking about GSM, other networks and additional features, wouldn't it be a better use of Republic's resources:

• Getting the operating system out of beta?
                      • Perfecting Wi-Fi handoff?
                      • Improving voice mail?
                      • Allow us to increase the number of rings before voice mail pick-up?
                      • Implementing SMS? MMS? Short codes? Pictures? (aren’t some of these the same thing?)

I say let's perfect what's there FIRST

johnnysmooth 2 Bar

I agree with that, although I am quite new to RW and the DEFY. I read that RW's main concern right now is the Wi-Fi handoff and they ensured that with all 3 new models this problem would be fix. As far as coverage, I have less then Zero complaints... I get better reception then my buddy on sprint with his (claims defective) Galaxy S3 and my Data is enough to DL an app or use FB. (Which my work PC has banned)

Pictures! Why did they not support that in the first place?!? What phone these days can't send or receive pictures?

I feel with the rest you're just nit-picking a little. All I want is a bigger sceen, current OS and a little boost in power. (But a big boost would be nice) I personally have never experienced the Handoff drop because If im on Wi-Fi I conciously dont walk out of range, but that is as inconvenient as a land line!

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi johnnysmooth,

johnnysmooth wrote:

[...]

Pictures! Why did they not support that in the first place?!? What phone these days can't send or receive pictures?

[...]

I assume by "Pictures!" you mean the sending of pictures via text message (MMS). You can read more about why that's not supported (it's not a hardware issue) in the Think Tank. Look for comments by RW staff (the ones with the green arc above their avatars.) MMS

~~~~~

jben Ambassador

Not to rain on the parade ... but this line from the Verizon announce was very noticeable

All three devices will hit store shelves later this Summer on August 20 with the regular 2-year contract.

davidyoga 2 Bar

ok - i just heard that the 4G MotoX  is coming out in Nov!

And im on the last week of my 30day trial with the 3G Motorola DEFY and as you all know, its more than a bit ''sluggish'' at 3G - i just heard that the MotoX  is 4G!

Im still on my Verizon prepay phone,  i didnt port my number or cancel verizon yet , i just wanted to give the Defy a chance and i really hardly touched the Motorola, so it is in MINT Condition , ( i didnt add / subtract / any Apps ect ect )

So, that said... can you incredibly savvy RW users tell me... what you would do if you were me??

- should i cancel and re-apply again when i can buy the new MotoX , and possibly get an even better monthly plan? ... can you give me any feed back on the best way to go about that?... any reason why i shouldnt?... or couldnt come back???

Thanks!

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi davidyoga,

If you cancel, you will return the phone and get your money back, except for a $10 shipping fee. (See: Cancel My Republic Service)

You will lose your Beta Member lifetime service discount (10% off the service price, for as long as you stay a customer, on the phone line that was a beta line.)

You will also abandon the Jellybean upgrade rebate from Motorola. ($100 rebate).

How much did you pay for the DEFY? If you bought it for $79, and Motorola is going to give you $100 for it, I'd wait and upgrade, get the rebate, and get the 10% lifetime discount.

You'll want to read these, take your time:

Motorola Jelly Bean Rebate

Beta Member Service Discount FAQ

Republic Wireless Plans 2.0: Republic Refund

~~~~~

davidyoga 2 Bar

good feedback southpawkb -- yah i paid $199 for the Defy - i like the idea of the 10 percent lifetime discount ect... what would you do if u were me?...  ( i should have mentioned i payed $199 for the phone)

southpawkb Ambassador

davidyoga wrote:

good feedback southpawkb -- yah i paid $199 for the Defy - i like the idea of the 10 percent lifetime discount ect... what would you do if u were me?...  ( i should have mentioned i payed $199 for the phone)

What I would do is sit myself down, open up an Excel spreadsheet, and plug in costs (price of phone, credits for rebates, cost of service) for various companies until I found one with a total cost over two years  that I liked the looks of.

But I'm not going to do that for you.

~~~~~

jben Ambassador

davidyoga

When you get the spreadsheet finished (and tested) ... be sure to publish it here so the rest of us can use it

gdizzle 2 Bar

What phone are they going to replace the defy with?

carlh 5 Bar

Nobody has a clue.  Not even a hint of a rumor has happened for the future low-end phone.

gdizzle 2 Bar

Why not toss around some options and have the community vote ?

geneven 4 Bar

I would much rather read informed opinions than the votes of the rabble.

carlh 5 Bar

What purpose would that serve?  A community poll for the next low-end phone won't change the identity of said phone which is already cast in concrete.  It would waste a lot of time though.

dsrich 2 Bar

A "poll" is not going to effect a business decision of that sort one iota.  If there is going to be a low-end phone, there will one, and its configuration is going to be decided by the technical feasibility of using a particular phone, and then (more meaningfully) by the money people that will pay for the development and support.

gdizzle 2 Bar

Y'all are  a bunch a yes men, I am sure ppl would like to think they had some sort of role in. What the next phone would be

carlh 5 Bar

No, we know what we're talking about.  There's this thing called "lead time".   It takes 6 months or more to prepare a new phone for shipping.  No amount of feedback given today will influence the phone model that ships in less than 6 months.

Now Republic customers who bought and used the Defy over the past year have had some influence over whatever phone model is eventually announced.   Republic doesn't want their next low-end phone to be reviewed as "worse than the Defy XT".   That would be embarrassing.

jumphour 3 Bar

If I had a choice of phones, I would have liked a Samsung Galaxy S4, because of the user-replaceable and swappable battery (I've never had a phone without an extra battery before) and for the microSD slot (again, just spoiled by my past phones and the availability of $45 64GB cards, not charging $100 extra for 16GB like Apple does!).  And of course, I'd want it for $299, not $669 off contract like VZW wants!  LOL  But my financial situation was such that I needed a new plan right when the Moto X was up for sale at RW, and will make adjustments.  I do feel good that the Moto X is gonna be the coolest offering of the 3 in the eventual lineup.  Love my toys!  And love the $299 price, as opposed to $549 off contract like VZW is selling it for now.

mchasal Ambassador

carlh wrote:

No, we know what we're talking about.  There's this thing called "lead time".   It takes 6 months or more to prepare a new phone for shipping.  No amount of feedback given today will influence the phone model that ships in less than 6 months.

Yup, that's the big issue. Republic selects the phones very early in the process, most likely before they're even announced at all. So they wouldn't even be allowed to conduct such a poll as it would preannounce upcoming phones.

There was a poll out there a long time ago that was more generic. Basically asking what kind of features and price points people were interested in. My search-fu was unable to find it though.

annie 3 Bar

Yes there was a poll a long time ago.  I remember voting for a high-end phone which at that time was estimated to cost way more than $299 if memory serves me.  Somewhere along the way when they were asking what we would like, I remember saying a phone with a larger screen.  So we did have input on the new phones. And here I am holding a high-end phone with a larger screen in my hand and it is soooo nice!!!

bocephous 5 Bar

gdizzle

Maybe something more productive is making a laundry list for a late 2014-2015 release of a phone to replace a Moto X. Another Idea is a smartphone flip phone with touch screens. Now I would buy that in a heartbeat. I loved my flip phones, and durable Wow. They were modern day pocket tanks, "Indestructible". How about the Google Nexus 6 built for RW exclusively?

Now those are relevant ideas but just ideas with no factual backup.

bocephous1

rballou 3 Bar

"bring out yer new phones!"

Monty Python-Bring out your dead! - YouTube

rballou 3 Bar
    davet.ar3bol 1 Bar

its March give us something?

benjaminw.kp5b0c 3 Bar

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but might as well bring it back up.

Any rumors of a new high-end phone?  I love my Moto X and have no complaints or issues at all, but let's face it, it's always fun to contemplate a new toy.  So just wondering if there's any talk out there?

If not, heck, make something up!