1 56 57 58 59 60 Previous Next 956 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 8:49 PM by drewt Go to original post RSS
  • 855. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    carlh 5 Bar

Clearly we disagree.  My viewpoint is what you don't know can hurt you.   I would have a different opinion if we had a ROM image that could be restored in recovery.

And if there's not another OTA for the Defy, that means we never get WiFi-to-cell call handoff on the Defy.  That would be a big mistake for Republic to make, unless they also provide a very attractive offer to upgrade to the new phones that have it.

• 856. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    bitflung Ambassador

adam wrote:

If we freeze an unwanted app, isn't it still taking up the same amount of space on the phone?

I wanted to root my Defy XT so that I could remove more of the apps from the internal storage.

the space that can be freed by removing system apps is NOT space that could otherwise be used by apps you might download and install. with one exception. once an app loads, whether system, internal-user (not on the sdcard), or external-user (on the sdcard), it writes data to its own private folder in the user space of the internal memory. this is where settings and some data are stored (well written apps would store large data components to the sdcard regardless of where the app is installed).

that private folder can be purged by clearing the data for an app - then if you freeze an app it shouldn't be created again. so removing system apps won't gain you any more space for installing app than you could get by clearing their data then freezing them.

• 857. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    bitflung Ambassador

geneven wrote:

The dangers of rooting have been exaggerated. [...]  I rooted my Defy a long time ago and am  very glad I did.

1. "guns don't kill people, people kill people". rooting the phone is like loading and cocking a gun. if you know what you are doing, it can be perfectly safe. if not, you stand a good chance of shooting yourself. for many people, 'root' is like an unrecognizable gun: the barrel and trigger aren't always recognized properly and so even while trying to be safe about it one can easily kill the phone.

2. i rooted my defy as well, and i'm very glad i did. i also went skeet shooting recently and didn't accidentally shoot myself. not everyone is comfortable with a loaded gun and the analogy holds very well for rooting a phone.

• 858. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    geneven 3 Bar

I wonder how I would accidentally kill someone by rooting my phone? I would think that driving a car would be more dangerous. I don't remember saying that everyone should root their phone, just that its danger is exaggerated. People climb mountains and are sometimes killed in the process; in fact,it's hard to think of a daily pursuit that could not result in death. Rooting is much safer than many other things. I have had friends who have wiped out their systems by opening attachments or by forgetting to back up or by simply pressing the wrong key at the wrong time. The way to learn is to take risks and go forward.

• 859. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    bitflung Ambassador

I wonder how I would accidentally kill someone by rooting my phone?

Did you honestly interpret my analogy as an actual statement that rooting a phone could cause someone to die? Honestly?

I would think that driving a car would be more dangerous. I don't remember saying that everyone should root their phone, just that its danger is exaggerated. People climb mountains and are sometimes killed in the process; in fact,it's hard to think of a daily pursuit that could not result in death. Rooting is much safer than many other things.

Yes, clearly. Death and dismemberment rarely come from non-physical events. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have had friends who have wiped out their systems by opening attachments or by forgetting to back up or by simply pressing the wrong key at the wrong time.

These phenomenon are almost universally risks only for rooted phones. the dangers are NOT just that you might make a dumb move, but also that an existing legitimate app that works properly on a non-rooted phone could even cause the sorts of issues you're mentioning here on a rooted phone.

In a sense, you've actually taken my side of the argument by writing this. Elmer Fud, meet Bugs Bunny.

The way to learn is to take risks and go forward.

and if the OP is trying to learn, with a potential cost of having to replace their device, then I agree with you.

That's not what he said. In fact, he said this:

adam wrote:

I wanted to root my Defy XT so that I could remove more of the apps from the internal storage.

There is no mention of learning in that post; no intellectual curiosity or stated willingness to value that learning over the cost of a potential replacement phone.

Rooting involves risk. An honest and complete statement about it involves stating this directly. Stating otherwise is like saying "the dangers of playing with guns have been exaggerated". Yes yes yes, you can't shoot anyone with a rooted android phone. Just as you could fall off a cliff if you put yourself in that situation, you can break your phone once it is rooted. It's not a sure thing: certainly many rock climbers have survived just as many rooted phones are working just fine. But if your goal is simply to get to the other side of the mountain, I would suggest taking the well worn and known safe path around it rather than climbing up the cliff-side with no safety harness (rooting is very much analogous to removing one's safety harness - or driving without a seat-belt).

-bit

• 860. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    carlh 5 Bar

geneven wrote:

I have had friends who have wiped out their systems by opening attachments or by forgetting to back up or by simply pressing the wrong key at the wrong time. The way to learn is to take risks and go forward.

Not everyone has the penchant for learning about computerized devices that you do.  They just want them to work, and they don't want their investment turned into a useless brick because they installed an app that some 'friend' told them to try.

And your friends whose systems were wiped out by opening attachments - did they not simply re-load the operating system and continue to use that system?  The same is not possible when one of our rooted phones will no longer boot.

• 861. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    geneven 3 Bar

carlh and bitflung:

In a gesture of mercy for  readers, I am not going to keep doubling the length of my recapitulation of opinions I have already stated. Feel free to continue on your own.I am quite confident that a cautious use of rooting can be used safely and responsibly.

• 862. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    adam 2 Bar

if I root my phone, you will shoot me with your phone? what?

• 863. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    christiand 3 Bar

I have finally found an app that will shut up and stop those pesky system apps on the Defy that are immune to freezing like "Home" and a few others. It's called  RootAppDelere. With this app you can "disable" apps which seems to be a bit stronger that freezing them, but they are not deleted or moved. I have "disabled" Home and a few others. The phone starts complaining about Home crashing in an endless notification loop, but I can get to the reboot menu and after the phone comes up again the Home app is finally gone and not running. Re-enabling them (not restoring since they are not moved) is a breeze so I seem to be OTA proofed using this method. I use the task manager in Autokiller Memory Optimizer which is more accurate when it comes to indicating running apps and services than most others (no idea why). But it seems to mirror the results you get from the "ps" command run in a terminal which is a good thing. The crash dialog for the Home app proves that the app keeps running when frozen since it wouldn't occur unless the app is actually running. I have no idea why freeze doesn't work on these system apps and no one else has been able to explain it either. Anyhow, problem solved for now although even the Autokiller Memory Optimizer dev isn't able to explain why Home and other system apps on the Defy keeps running after being frozen and their services are disabled. If someone can solve this mystery please let me know, preferably here.

• 864. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    bitflung Ambassador

nice work

• 865. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    christiand 3 Bar

One thing I forgot to mention, it's the "Motorola Services" which is responsible for running Home and those other system apps so it's a good idea to disable this one first since you then do not have to deal with all the crash dialogs popping up when Motorola Services isn't able to restart the apps since they are disabled.

• 867. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    isom 2 Bar

......................... This actually worked for me.  First try.  Wow, thanks!!

• 868. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    prestont 1 Bar

I am considering this root method, it doesn't seem to have many success or failure stories though. Anyone else have experience with it? I still haven't seen a recovery ROM out there either so am hesitant to go for it. But would really love to move most of my apps to the SD card as I am out of space with only a few large apps (Facebook just had to go as it was taking up 45 mb).

For those who have done it, do main phone functions still work? Looking mainly at text over wifi, call over wifi, and bluetooth music streaming.

Thanks!

• 869. Re: How to Root the Motorola Defy XT
    southpawkb Ambassador

Hi prestont,

The process written by jcase works without any risk. However what you do to the phone after you root it could easily brick it. We've seen three customers here with phones that have been rendered useless by steps they took after the phone was rooted. Republic Wireless does not offer support for rooted phones.

If you want a perfectly safe way to free up space on the phone, take a look at: Re: Apps take up too much space

The first three steps are very simple. The 4th one is a little more of a challenge, but it is well written and you can do it. It makes a big difference in the internal memory on the phone without any risk.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

1 56 57 58 59 60 Previous Next