13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 10:05 PM by southpawkb RSS

Moto X as a WiFi Hot Spot

billg 4 Bar

sean I've read through the Moto X user guide and am wondering about this feature:

Capture.JPG

Will we be able to use the Moto X Wi-Fi hotspot feature and how many simultaneous connections does this feature support.

• Re: Moto X as a WiFi Hot Spot
    ckh 3 Bar

Shouldn't that be seanr ?

jef Ambassador

As it stand right now this will be disabled. However there is a promising discussion that may include this option. https://community.republicwireless.com/ideas/1257

ckh 3 Bar

Since increased rates seem to be the preferred evolution why not add a tier or two to accommodate this?

jef Ambassador

I really like the idea of allowing tethering but having live in the "buckets of data" scenario. It does not readily jeopardize the unlimited plans. I could see myself using the 3G and 4G plans with a bucket or two on standby for tethering.

jben Ambassador

I like the idea of the buckets ... am mostly a WiFi user ... so the $10 plan Moto X gives me $9 worth of data  I can use or bank ... maybe then I would understand Bitcoin?

billg 4 Bar

I'll bet there are lots of folks out there that don't have WiFi at home, folks like my friends who just can't get DSL or Cable at home.  They would most likely use the WiFi hotspot feature a lot and, as I mentioned in the buckets thread, RW would essentially become their ISP.  It strikes me that this doesn't fit RW's present model but maybe the buckets idea will encourage them to change their model in this one respect. 

i.ynobd7 1 Bar

This is really really sad, as I have anticipated switching to RW for months, but, like so many have said here, I need to tether my laptop maybe a few days a year. I would actively be using Wifi for both data and voice as much as possible, but there are these emergency situations where I'd need to tether...I work in IT and there are emergencies where I need to quickly ssh/rdp into servers no matter where I am. Doing anything productive on the phone is close to impossible. Unfortunately, RW's stubbornness is causing me to look for other options until this is fixed...With plans such as. $25/month+taxes, RW's prices are already coming close to other prepaid providers (I currently pay $38/month, including taxes, for unlimited voice/text + 1GB of data)

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi i.ynobd7,

There is an "idea" in the Think Tank where customers have asked to be able to use the new $10 plan and add "buckets" of data that are limited, bought and managed by the customer. One of the RW executives has said that if they were able to use this idea, because the "buckets" of data would not be unlimited, tethering could be allowed.

Since you are not yet a customer, you cannot vote in that "idea" but you may be interested in at least reading through it, and I want to encourage others who are customers and share your concern to vote for the idea here: Purchase "Buckets" of Data.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

billg 4 Bar

I went to Sprint and started a cart with one of their hotspot devices.  This is what their pricing looks like:

Capture.JPG

This information should help those who are promoting data buckets to come up with a competitive bucket size and price.  The smaller the bucket size the better.  Notice that 80/12 yields $6.70 per 1 Gb bucket using Sprint's figures.