38 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 7:29 AM by battierpeeler RSS

Moto G?

iharley 3 Bar

There's been some speculation that the unannounced Motorola DVX might be another of the new phones coming out. I've also heard rumors that the retail name of this model might be Moto G. Maybe the G is coming out soon with this recent website slip: ‘Moto G’ makes brief appearance on Motorola website | 9to5Google

• Re: Moto G?
    carlh 5 Bar

We're still hoping for a Moto G announcement from RW this month... hey RW - Trick or Treat!!!

glarepate 4 Bar

It may be that the release party for the X is timed to coincide with the announcement of the G:

Thank you for your interest in Moto G™. Please tune in on YouTube or Google+ to join our livestream and find out more about our exciting news.

London 2 pm

São Paulo 12 pm

Toronto/New York 9 am

Mexico City/Chicago 8 am

donp.p 4 Bar

Between the subsidy by Republic and the trade in of Defy towards the X, X may come out cheaper to us unless one or both also apply to the Moto G.

glarepate 4 Bar

Same thought occurred to me.  And the rumored price on the DVX/G has been climbing from the $180 to $215 range in the latest leakage.

Get the X for net $199 with JB trade up or the G for a newly rumored retail price of $265 if it's not eligible and not discounted.

Wut's a geek ta do?

carlh 5 Bar

Have faith.  Remember that Republic is selling the Moto X way cheaper than anyone else's off-contract price.   Whatever the off-contract price for the G, Republic will very likely undercut that significantly as well.   And since the G runs JB, it should be eligible for the JB rebate.

dawnw 2 Bar

I am hoping the G is announced soon! 

Others in my family want RW service but don't want the Moto X as it is pricier.

I hope too that they allow for the $100 turn in rebate of an older Motorola.  We have a few older Motorolas from that list we can get rebates for.

Dawn

mike_in_dallas 3 Bar

It probably wont be out until after the first of the year from every thing I've seen.

dawnw 2 Bar

First of the year is ok, although I hope they announce it a couple of weeks ahead of time, like they did the Moto X, so we can prepare.

I just looked at the Moto G and it comes in 8gb and 16gb.  I really hope RW offers the 16gb as it is only $20 more. 

Still wondering if it is qualify for the $100 rebate from Motorola though.

paralegal76 3 Bar

Come to think about it, I don't think it's going to be Moto G.  It's going to be totally something different. And I don't think it's going to be during the 1st Quarter.  On RW page for Facebook, I had commented on one of their posts that we're all getting a little antsy and they posted back saying that it's a little too early in the year to get antsy. So that says something right there that it's going to probably be in their 3rd or 4th Qtr. Maybe at the end of the 2nd Qtr.

Unless they are getting excited but are really having to really keep things hidden until they can release the dates.

battierpeeler 4 Bar

sarah said by the end of q1 so no.

paralegal76 3 Bar

I hope you're right. I would be really sweet to get the Moto G and costs much less than the Moto X.  Granted that the Moto X has so much more to offer.

mikec.uq3m0k 3 Bar

True, there is a big difference between the X and the G but the G is no slouch. Not by a long shot.

And for the price the G is selling at it is a bargin if there ever was one.

I know use a GSM unlocked MG on StraightTalk as my work phone and it is a great phone. And coming from me about a Motorola phone is saying something. Because until I bought my MotoX from Republic Wireless I despised Motorola phones. Every single phone I have ever purchased in the past 15 years that had Motorola in the name was a POS.

Every one. The MotoX broke that chain. I love this phone. And because it was such a awosme phone I gave the MotoG a chance and it too was a GREAT phone. Not a MotoX. But a great phone coming from Motorola and for 200.00 a darn good phone.

Verizon has released the MG at 100.00 and USCC also at 100.00. I see RW also hitting that 100.00 price tag. And if they do. I will be buying three of the MGs and putting them on the 5.00 a month plan, adding them to my GV acct and I won't miss my OBIHAI acct.

True my OBI acct is free right now. But for 15.00 a month I would have guarantied service on three phones that were all more than just phones. 15.00 for unlimited talk and text and what WiFi data I needed on actual smart phones.

Try buying something comparable and it will cost many times more. Just for the hardware.

mikec.uq3m0k 3 Bar

Unless plans changed because of the DVX leak. And RW has done a extremely good job of keeping a lid on it, it looks like the next will probably be the MG.

Not knowing what the phones beyond that may be problematic because of the recent sale of Motorola, but I would think if they have things in motion for phones to be released and those phones are slated to be coming from Motorola. Then I would think RW would still be getting those phone.

Noticed this today while checking my work phone. MotoG serviced through StraightTalk BYOP Sim. Have the ST app installed from the Play store. It identifies my MotoG as a "Motorola DVX XT 1032"

Just thought that was interesting.

creativerachel 3 Bar

I think a new phone will be announced within a month. RW reps on their Facebook page have gone from answering the "When are new phones coming?" question with "soon" to "very soon".

jben Ambassador

Very Soon

Another common term implemented by Blizzard often misleading players into excitement for future content. "Very Soon" is guaranteed to arrive between now and the end of time with a higher chance of arriving on the "now" half of the time table. Although this means closer to now than "soon" there is no guarantee that you will live long enough to see the content finally release.

Now ←-------------- Very Soon -------- Soon -------- Soon-ish ---------------→ End of Time
          paralegal76 3 Bar

Just read an answer on RW's Facebook page...a new one to add to your list...Not too much longer. So we must be getting really close. 

jben Ambassador

So we now have a timeline

• This fall
            • Soon (sometime October or November)
            • Very Soon (between Now and the End of time)
            • Not too much longer

So all we need to define is 'too'?

(I just asked Google Now, but she didn't give me a straight answer, and my real Google search resulted in About 5,030,000,000 results)

Ben ~ user since 2012 ~ not a Republic employee
              paralegal76 3 Bar

Yeah, but I would say Not too much longer is between Now and Very Soon.  LOL

matthewc 4 Bar

LOL Ben, so that means you have just enough time to read through all those results, before "very soon" happens.

• Re: Re: Moto G?
              ejb9925 3 Bar

So all we need to define is 'too'?

Doesn't matter how we define "too", or any other word. What we need, is to determine how RW defines words for use here. Seems they've attached their own meanings to quite a few that we've all been using incorrectly, apparently. Soon, promise, Q3, Q4, update, quickly, customer service, commitment - all seem to have alternate meanings in the World of Republic.

ellingson 3 Bar

Throwing out wild guess here, so please excuse.

Since the two phones (X and G) are almost identical internally, I'm guessing that they are holding back on the Moto G as they correct the outstanding issues still left in the Moto X.  Once the main issues are squashed, the updated code will be put on the Moto G phones as they head out the door.  Otherwise, they have to fix the problems for two phones in the wild, rather than one and then making sure it is a smooth launch for the G. -- For those who have been through the Optimus to Defy XT to Defy XT dual band to Moto X transitions... you probably agree that each has been better than the last.  I think they are trying for a near perfect Moto G rollout.

I'd also venture that they were waiting until all the Defy XT stock was sold before releasing the G.

So, with only a couple of Moto X issues still out there (MMS & Voicemail primarily... but improving the WiFi-Cell handoff detection may be in there too)... and all the Defy XT's having been sold out just a few weeks ago... I think the G will be around soon.

ellingson 3 Bar

Oh.. and thought of another good reason they may be waiting... KitKat!  If they get the code approved by Sprint... the G might roll out with it already installed.  Saving them from having to do an OTA upgrade (both expensive and not without some users having hiccups). --- oohhhh... I'm ready for some KitKat on my X.  I've been just itching to try out NFC payments at McD's and such around here.

mikec.uq3m0k 3 Bar

Lots of people are itching to try NFC.

But know that NFC has been an identity theifs friend on the the east and west coasts for many months now.

Identy theifs have readers that can scan your identity, credit information etc off your phone from less than 30 feet.

They don't need to be near you. You don't need to do anything to your phone. If the NFC function is turned on. Your phone is vulnerable and it can be compromised. It along with all your credit data and ID.

NFC is not something people should use like banking on line.

Banks are not how peoples identities get compromised. It is peoples Personal computers that get compromised. And banked get blamed.

jumphour 3 Bar

Are they similar?  I read that the quad core processor they use in the G is slow, and different than the one the X has, and it has half as much RAM, and a not-very-good 5MP camera.  Should be fine for beginners, though. 

paralegal76 3 Bar

You get what you pay for and if it is slow, it will be the first Android I've ever owned.  I do like Android so much better than the Iphones for sure.

carlh 5 Bar

"half as much RAM" = 1 GB which is plenty for all but the most hard-core Android users.

"slow" = 4 cores @ 1.2 GHz.   Not too shabby at all.

Translation:  The Moto G should tear things up compared to the Defy XT which had a single core @ 1.0 GHz and 512MB RAM.

jumphour 3 Bar

Oh, it most certainly is gonna be a speed demon compared to the Defy XT!  It's gonna be rockin' for most people.  I was just thinking about a CNET review where it said the 4 core processor was slow compared to the 2 core in the X.  But I guess no one is gonna be doing hard-core 3D gaming and such on it anyways.  It's supposed to be a fantastic phone, and they say the build quality is great.  I like the covers you can get, too.

mikec.uq3m0k 3 Bar

Owning a MotoG I can tell you it works for the common person as well as the MotoX. There are some things the G can't do that the X can. But the G is no slouch. You will not be disappointed in it.

paralegal76 3 Bar

Here's something from their Facebook page:

m-sting-m 3 Bar

As a huge fan of Blizzard I guess I'm just used to waiting.  (Currently waiting for the soon™ to be released Blizzard DOTA Blizzard Heroes Heroes of the Storm).  So Republic (and all the waiting and pushed back deadlines) suits me just fine. 

battierpeeler 4 Bar

i'm hoping for an announcement on or very close to the dates for mobile world congress. 24th - 27th feb.

well i'm hoping for sooner.. but i mean the end of Q1 is only a month after that so it's all pretty 'soon' relatively.

paralegal76 3 Bar

I think I will come back in a month or two and hopefully they will have announced something by then. You all take care of yourselves during that time.