19 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2014 8:35 AM by timwood RSS

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

bambam 3 Bar

I was just going to purchase a new Obi device for my mother and brother and came across this article ( link here ).

Partial:

Recently Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014 – that’s over 6 months from today. Since your OBi device uses XMPP to communicate with Google servers, the end of support will directly impact how your OBi device can be used with your Gmail account and its associated Google Voice phone number. Unfortunately, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device.  Also, the ability to receive calls to your Google Voice number, directly from Google’s service, will not be possible.

• Re: Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice
    johnny5 Ambassador

Interestingly, Amazon is still selling them...

johnny5 Ambassador

Google Voice functionality is being migrated to Hangouts

isom 2 Bar

Interesting.  I had never thought to use Google Voice for landline.  I have used Ooma for about 6 years now and love it, even though you have to have an active internet connection. 

mchasal Ambassador

Hmm, that sucks. Been using an Obi for quite a while now. Will have to look into alternate solutions.

I wonder if that's also going to kill things like GrooveIP?

pjnc284 3 Bar

Sounds like it.

Nikhyl Singhal - Google+ - An update on Google VoiceWe are rolling out a new version…

"Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we’re notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014.  "

david.huss 2 Bar

A hack way of getting things to work is to get a free incoming line (callcentric and IPKall both offer upstate new york and the boonies of washington state numbers respectively). Have your GV forward to it. Both will allow outbound calling for 2 cents or so per minute. The key is to just call your GV number (set is as a speed dial) then the number you wish to dial, hang up and then your outgoing call is an incoming one. At 2 cents total per outgoing call I can live with it.

Still it would be AWESOME if Republic would allow us to integrate our Republic Wireless numbers with Obihai type devices.

david.huss 2 Bar

Maybe Republic can come to the Rescue so to speak and allow us SIP access. Such would fit well with the "internet whenever possible" philosophy of the service and they clearly have the infrastructure to do so.

clauder 2 Bar

Okay, so I'm a little confused here. I have my RW phone setup to use Google Voice for all its' calling, and it is the GV number that I've given out to people. Does this mean that I will no longer be able to use GV with my RW phone and will need to tell people that my cell phone # has changed (to my RW number)?

Thanks.

Claude

gcks21a Ambassador

Thanks for posting this here.

Really sucks because I JUST got my Yealink HD deskphone connected to my GV numbers through Simonics.  I was in heaven, and purchased a Yealink Portable for my DH for Christmas.  I planned to eliminate all of our other paid Voip services (except RW of course).

Now I need to re-think my strategy.  We will probably stick with Voipo because they let use BYOD and also let us assign the outgoing caller id to the Google Voice number.

Truthfully I would be happy to pay a reasonable fee for a Google Voice "Pro" service if they would just let me have SIP credentials.

mchasal Ambassador

Just this morning I setup Callcentric on my OBI100. Free incoming number, and the per minute outgoing call plan (about .02/min US). Setup went smoothly using the instructions on the Callcentric site. Total fees I got hit were $3 for 911 setup and $5 to seed the per minute balance. My usage is extremely low so this should be a good setup.

So far, I'm happy with it, though obviously limited experience.

gcks21a Ambassador

Oh, that looks like a good option too.  And cool, it looks like they have "extensions", so I can set up a number to only ring certain devices.

I decided to go ahead and port our "home number" to GV after Christmas.  The GV termination is in May so I have about 4 months of free phone service while I decide what to do.  Hopefully, someone smarter than me will come up with a solution.

I would be interested to hear how it goes with CallCentric after a couple months.

mvanzante 1 Bar

I've been exploring this problem today. Since I've been using an Obi ATA with Google Voice for the last two years, I'm really railing against the idea of having to pay for phone service again.

The easiest and most widely available solution I've come up with for free incoming calls is using CallCentric (CC) or another VOIP provider to forward calls from GV to a number (CC has free numbers for a few different New York area codes). Unfortunately, it sounds like call forwarding from Google voice to CC numbers is sporadic at best, and even then sometimes caller ID doesn't go through. Many folks are recommending getting another number from IPKall and registering that to CC for more robust call forwarding from GV.

Free outbound calling from an Obi sounds like it might be a lost cause unless you have your own Asterisk server or other telephony switching system. There appears to be a solution using SipSorcery.com, but the $69 a year price tag for an account makes that tough to swallow (though some folks may already have a free account). At any rate, the way this is accomplished is through a behind the scenes handoff that occurs when the computer parses the number and then initiates an incoming call from GV and merges the two.

You can, however, initiate a free inbound call from GV to any of your numbers (including your free CC/IPKall number) if you use the free Android app, Voice+. I don't really like that it uses my phone's native dial-pad/calling interface to initiate the callback procedure, but once you figure it out, it's not so bad. I had to configure it to "Always ask". It doesn't seem to get in the way of the official Google Voice app if you do it that way.

FYI, I've read that CC will allow you to set your outbound caller ID number if you create a support ticket and can verify that you "own" the number. At less than 2 cents a minute, the on-demand calling plan there is a decent option for outbound calls. You do get better cent/minute value if you purchase one of the higher minute plans but using the 500 minute plan to save money require more than 351 minutes per month using the on-demand plan.

timwood 3 Bar

May 15th has come and gone and my Obi is still working with Google Voice.