48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2014 8:25 PM by stay_thirsty RSS

Moto X Wireless Charging Cases

dbart 2 Bar

The one thing I don't like about the Moto X is the lack of built-in wireless charging. Micro-USB ports wear out, and I realllly wanted my next phone to have wireless charging. I thought I was out of luck, but then I came across the Incipio Wireless Charging case for the Moto X. The only downside to this case is that it uses the less-popular Duracell Powemat "PMA" standard for wireless charging instead of the far more popular Qi standard that you can find on the latest Nexus devices (and many many other phones and tablets).

I will be getting this and will update this post with my thoughts on how it works (after I get my Moto X, of course), but I thought I'd start a discussion on the off chance that anyone knows of any other wireless charging solutions for the Moto X.

Incidently, here's where you can get them:

• Standard black from Amazon and the Incipio website (Amazon is out of stock currently)
  • Red, Blue, Pink, and Purple from AT&T
  • powermat bases can be ordered from Amazon

mt-332-blk_b.jpg

• Re: Moto X Wireless Charging Cases
    stay_thirsty 3 Bar

Thanks for posting...Looks interesting but kind of pricey

Looks like the case is $50 and another $30+ for the mat. Thats a-lot for the budget minded but hey...RW is saving us on the monthly

**Update...Got the case off Ebay for $32 (and all proceeds went to a animal shelter in Atlanta) Win/Win   Then ordered the Duracell mat off Ebay for $25 (with iPhone case that I dont need)

Just shy of $60 for the whole kit & caboodle and it will save the phone from wear while giving me convenience    Nice!

getraf 1 Bar

I'm looking forward to Qi enabled Moto X cases hitting the market. I think the Qi inductive charging standard is going to be in more devices as time goes on and I'd like not to have to think about which pad I need to put our electronic devices on.

dbart 2 Bar

getraf wrote:

I'm looking forward to Qi enabled Moto X cases hitting the market. I think the Qi inductive charging standard is going to be in more devices as time goes on and I'd like not to have to think about which pad I need to put our electronic devices on.

Yes, I really wanted there to be a Qi case, but I haven't been able to find one. I wish a case company would make one.

My decision was made for me because this solution is available today so that's why I went with it. I'd much rather have a working solution than a theoretical one. And so far it's working great! Ask me in a few months and I'll let you know if it's still working great.

kiwibird 2 Bar

If anyones brave they could try hacking a Qi solution into the moto x, im sure a guide will pop up as time goes by but heres a link to a site that does some interesting stuff wrt. Qi, keep an eye out:

Wireless Receivers for Samsung Phones and hopefully Moto X in the future. I think its a matter of finding the power connectors in a moto x, this doesnt look to easy as with the Samsung phones.

Insides of a MotoX provided by the guide to remove the back cover here.

bocephous 5 Bar

dbart

I wonder if the case plugs into the charge port then the wireless pad will charge both batteries (case & phone) at the same time. That be neat IMO.

bocephous1

dbart 2 Bar

As I understand it, the micro-usb on the case passes through the inductive charging coil in the case on its way to the micro-usb on the phone. When placed on a powermat, the coil picks up the electricity and charges the phone wirelessly. When a usb cable is plugged in to the micro-usb jack it behaves as normal (e.g. it charges the phone and if the usb cable is connected to your computer and not to a power adapter you can mount it and etc...). The case itself doesn't have a battery, just the inductive charging coil and the circuitry to connect it to the phone.

my_own_taskmaster 1 Bar

Thanks!  I think this is the case I want; even though the inductive charging doesn't appeal to me, the pass-through micro-usb port on the case is exactly what I'm looking for.  After my experiences with the last pair of phones, 1) I'm never buying any HTC product ever again, especially from Sprint, and 2) I'm going to treat every micro-usb port as though looking at it sideways will cause it to violently self-destruct (I'm no Apple fanboy, but why does it seem the iPhone/iPad connector is Tonka Tough and toddler-proof in comparison?).  It looks like the port in this Incipio case might be easily replaceable, and if it isn't then the whole case sure is. I can easily say spending ~$40 sure beats wasting time arguing about how durable a phone should be, but that's only thanks to hindsight.  Just wish they made it in white, but hey, that's truly a first world problem. 

stay_thirsty 3 Bar

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at  how nice it is to just "lay down" the phone for charging as opposed to fumbling with the little micro cord (hate it when its turned backwards and you are forcing it up in there)

I would make this purchase again...especially at the price I got both the mat & the case for off the bay

xburrari 1 Bar

Cool thought I was the only looking one into qi charging for this phone. Hope the powermat works without a problem

fredly00 2 Bar

I loved the inductive charging on my Palm Pixi, I can't understand why more companies haven't embraced it yet.

Thanks for posting this, now I have to wait to save up some $$ for a X or wait and see what the other two phone options are.

wvfisher Ambassador

could it maybe be because there might be conflicts between NFC and wireless charging in close proximity on the back of these phones??

dbart 2 Bar

wvfisher wrote:

could it maybe be because there might be conflicts between NFC and wireless charging in close proximity on the back of these phones??

If you look closely at the picture you'll see a little NFC logo under the Powermat logo. My guess is the two do not conflict. I admit I haven't tried using the NFC in the phone yet, but if I do and it doesn't work with the case on I'll reply here.

macemoneta 3 Bar

Wireless charging isn't particularly efficient, and on a large scale wastes a lot of power. It also adds significantly to the cost of the device, and requires design tradeoffs since it uses space in the case that could be otherwise used (like for a larger battery).

dbart 2 Bar

Update: My Incipio case has shipped!

Looks like it's coming from CA (opposite side of the country from me) but the USPS website says it'll be here on Saturday. My Powermat is also ordered and should arrive the middle of next week. Now I just need my Moto X to get here.

willfish 2 Bar

I'm looking hard at this one as well.  I do wish it was more form fitting with the dimple, and it seems to harden the edges vs the soft curves of the X.  As is the case with most protective cases, always some give and take I guess.

mtrivedi 3 Bar

Good find I looked everywhere and this is the only solution you'll be able to find. It is expensive that's why I am sticking with plugging in a cable because at the end of the day the only thing that it does is not make you plug a cable in and for me that's not worth $80.

dbart 2 Bar

mahesh wrote:

It is expensive that's why I am sticking with plugging in a cable because at the end of the day the only thing that it does is not make you plug a cable in and for me that's not worth $80.

Yup. It's not going to be worth it for some people. It is worth it for me. YMMV.

dbart 2 Bar

My Moto X and the Powermat arrived today. The case arrived on Saturday. So here is the promised update.

1. Moto X: I love the Moto X. It's an awesome phone. Very nice. Fast. Excellent screen. Etc...
    2. Incipio Case: The case is a nice matte black, nothing fancy or flashy. The finish isn't as nice as what's on the Moto X, but it looks nice. I like it. As with most cases, it adds a little bulk all around the phone, but it adds more on the bottom because of the USB connector pass-through and Powermat circuitry (maybe a centimeter or two). It also adds some bulk to the back of the phone (more so than a regular case), maybe 5 millimeters or so extra. This is for the Powermat power-receiver thingy. The case was a little tricky to install (it's in two pieces) but when everything is snapped together it feels very solid and tight.
    3. Duracell Powermat: Very nicely made and smaller than I thought it would be. Or maybe the Moto X is just bigger than I thought it would be. There's a nifty sound when you put the phone on the mat and another when you take it off and a small light on the side that is on when the phone is charging so there's never any doubt about whether the phone is charging or not. There's magnets in the mat to help with the alignment when placing the phone on it. As long as the surface is reasonably flat it won't slide off. I actually have to tilt the Powermat quite a bit to get the phone to slide off. The magnets may only be there for aligning the phone properly, but they work for holding the phone on the mat if the mat is sitting on a slightly uneven surface.

All in all I'm very happy with this setup. I'll be ordering a colored case for my wife's phone from AT&T next so that we can both use wireless charging (and so we can easily tell our phones apart).

vegas 2 Bar

None of those links work for me, but I did locate the item manually. 

I can deal with the 'plug it in' issue, but I'm thinking along these lines for my wife, who is terrible about such things.  Any chance there will be different standards and/or different manufacturers for the Moto X?

pfhortune 2 Bar

I just got my Incipio case and two powermats in today! So far pretty happy. The case adds bulk, but that's no surprise. It has a much nicer feel than my last case (unicorn beetle hybrid somethingorother).

The wireless charging works really nicely! Seems to be about as fast as wired charging. The only issues are a slight noise coming from the charger, and that the case gets a little warm (not hot).

I got the case for $32 off ebay, and the charging pads for $15 each. About $60 for a wireless charging setup is a steal!

rockntractor 2 Bar

I need to add some new information to this thread,the port on the incipio charging case works fine for data and charging but does not work for OTG  cables or OTG flash memory. I contacted incipio and they admitted as much, to me that is a rather large omission and I am surprised they overlooked something that could be so easily remedied.

jackb339 1 Bar

I also have this case and duracell charge matt.  The case adds about a half inch to the phone so it doesn't  fit into most carrying cases.  Has anyone found a carrying case that the charging case will fit into that attaches to your belt?

Love the case and wireless charging, but need a carrying case.

Thanks

vegas 2 Bar

So, for anyone who has this case... does NFC work well with this?  I ask because I'm thinking of getting the NFC tag that can unlock your phone when you have it close by.  Thanks!

kjv1611 3 Bar

dbart,

Any updates on your experience?  You first reviewed after you first got it?  How has this combination been holding up?  Also a couple of folks asked about NFC and interference - any ideas/thoughts?

stay_thirsty 3 Bar

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I am still loving this case. I have not dropped my phone as of yet (knock on wood) but the fact I have not had to fumble with a cord and plug my phone into a usb port in over 2 months is fantastic. I would highly recommend it and at the right price it can be a great value. I paid $20 for if off Ebay and then got the mat (Duracell) for another $20 that will charge (2) devices at once.

Good Luck!

kjv1611 3 Bar

Thanks for sharing.  Yeah, I must confess that's definitelly a VERY tantelizing idea - to not have to plug in a device.  Well, it's just an accepted thing, and I realize it's not the end of the world.  But someone mentioned the USB ports wearing out, so with this phone it does cross my mind more, b/c it's not like I can pull the battery, charge it elsewhere, and plug it back in. 

mamboman777 3 Bar

I ordered this case.  I was so glad to find it!  Thanks to dbart for recommending it.  I have had a powermat sitting at home for years because I don't have a compatible phone...now I do!

I think the case is a good construction.  I have dropped the phone before on laminate tile.  The case popped open, but neither the phone nor the case suffered any damage.

I actually like the extra width that the case adds.  It gives me something to grab on to!

I am using the charging case with the original powermat charger at home.  It is mostly plastic.  I am using the newer powermat (high gloss and aluminum bottom) at work.  The phone charges well at home and at work without a problem.  The one complaint that I have is that sometimes the back of the case can get warm when I charge the phone for an extended period of time.  I have also read that the extra heat could be bad for the battery, but I haven't experienced any problems and don't really seeing it be a problem.  The case doesn't get any hotter than my car would!

The phone will stop charging when the batter reaches %100 percent.  This means that sometimes the phone stops charging in the middle of the night and I wake up to a batter that is about %90.  It is no big deal, but I like to start the day with a %100 charge, if possible.  I have read that the phone stopping charging after it's full is better for the battery (can anyone verify?!?) so I don't mind it much.

Overall this has been an awesome product.  I'm glad someone recommended it to me.

-Josh

P.S.  I don't use NFC, so I don't have an experience as to whether it will or won't work with NFC.  However, there is an NFC logo on the back of the case, which would lead me to believe that it will work without a problem, but like I said, I don't really know for sure.

federic 2 Bar

This would be nice to combine the Incipio's Moto X Wireless Charging Case with the Meenova otg micro sd card reader built into the case...

brianh.xpvwfg 3 Bar

Are there any Moto X users with the Incipio PMA wireless charging case who plan to upgrade to the Moto X2 phone?

I contacted Incipio Customer Service to inquire about the launch of a Moto X2 wireless charging case and received this reply:

"Thank you for the email. Unfortunately we have not heard any go ahead with developing a wireless charging case for the Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen). However, if there is any chance of this becoming a possibility the easiest way to stay up to date with is through our social networks like: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc.. We hope this helps.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns. "

Kind regards,

Customer Service
      Incipio Technologies
      800-733-0088 Support@incipio.com

Is this an upgrade deal killer for you?  Will you try a Qi solution for your new Moto X2?  Or will you go back to using a charging cable?

stay_thirsty 3 Bar

I was wondering if they would produce one for the X2 myself but I am on record as saying the X1 will be with me until its untimely demise OR a sweet trade-in program becomes reality (must be really sweet). The case itself is starting to show its age and even its regular cleanings do not seem to be bringing it back now...its still working great as far as charging but its looking worse for the wear. I can only imagine what the Moto itself would look like without it.

I invested in this early and have really enjoyed it...Once my X1 has to be replaced I will definitely want to stay with some sort of wireless charging system. Its been great just placing it down  & picking it up fully charged.

Thanks for the Info...