27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 8:51 PM by glarepate RSS

Moto X battery Life

gangz 1 Bar

It seems that when Moto x try to use Sprint network, the battery drain so fast. My Moto X battery use 10% in 2 hours without WIFI, but only 3%  in 2 hours under WIFI.  Also,  if you take any picture or video, the google app are starting to upload into the cloud.  it also cost a lot of power.  Any idea about saving battery life besides the official document showing in Moto X help page?

• Re: Moto X battery Life
    happywillow0 Ambassador

From personal experience and general word of mouth, there are some specific reasons that battery will drain.

This was written for the Defy XT but should still apply with the Moto X. Some of the apps may not work but the manual techniques should apply.

DEFY XT: Phone is hot and battery runs down quickly

handydjs 3 Bar

The battery life should noticeably improve each time you charge it through the first 5 charging cycles. 

justreboot 1 Bar

Do you recommend recharging frequently or infrequently the first five times?  How about over the life of the phone?

alekseyn 3 Bar

Following the logic of calibration, I think one should charge fully, then use until battery drops below 15%, at least at the beginning. As for the life of the phone - li battery doesn't like full discharges, but doesn't have memory effects meaning - charge it as soon as you can, without compromising usability of the phone.

happywillow0 Ambassador

Interesting thing that happened. I was looking at Moto Care and the official tip from Motorola said that when charging, charge the battery to 100% is better than frequent small charges.

glarepate 4 Bar

Moto Care popped up a notification on my phone telling me the same thing.

Perhaps the logic of this is that if you wait until the phone prompts you to charge it that you will charge less often and thus be less likely to hit the point where it can only be charged up to 80% capacity as soon as if you compulsively recharge every time it gets a little low, which would be more frequently if you also subscribe to the theory that you shouldn't charge it above 80% either.  With my LG Optimus and the Defy I rarely let the phone run all the way down and usually only charged them up to about 85 - 90% unless I thought I would be away from a place to charge them for long enough to risk full rundown.

Of course this required near-obsessive management of both the cell radio and the data connection to make either phone last as long as I expected to be away from home.  I didn't have to replace the battery in either one but I only had the Defy 11 months.  I used the LG for a couple years.  My daughter burned through the battery in her LG in about 9 months but she was running it down a lot too.

bambam 3 Bar

That's what we do.  We plug the phone in before going to bed and unplug when going to work (on average, 4.5 hrs plugged in).   The phone easily lasts the entire day without issue.

ikaxas 2 Bar

Thanks, that's nice to know. I wondered why that seemed to be happening, it's nice to know that it's normal.

glarepate 4 Bar

Here is what my battery screen looks like this morning:

Screenshot_2013-11-25-07-38-55.png

This is with all radios except Bluetooth on, so, cell, WiFi, GPS and data connection, and a screen time of 3 hours and 5 minutes.

There is a notification from Dropbox that the camera sync upload is paused due to low battery and will proceed once I connect to charge.  I think this is due to having Battery Saver toggled on.  I will charge before I go out  today.  With the charger that came with the phone I think that should take less than two hours.

rockntractor 2 Bar

I checked my usage under battery in settings and found that my Open Signal app was draining 20% of mine, I dumped it and am doing good now.

glarepate 4 Bar

I have OS installed too but hadn't noticed it in the battery usage screen.  In the Data usage screen it shows as having used 23.24 MB of Mobile and 18.75 MB of WiFi data.  I just checked Battery usage and I am at just under 17 hours with 43% left and no listing for OS in the 9 items shown and Phone is the lowest at 2%.

Do you recall what settings you used in OS?

gangz 1 Bar

Thanks for all the advise. it seems that Google related service take most of the power except Android OS.

alekseyn 3 Bar

It can be obvious to some, but because of active notifications, one should have display time out at the lowest setting - that saves power, without compromising usability. There is a battery saver option in the battery menu in settings, which decreases frequency of sync function. And lastly, remember that unless you run through several charge/discharge cycles battery levels are going to be meaningless, as os needs to calibrate battery to know its discharge rate.

revmra 2 Bar

I've been quite happy with battery life on my Moto X. I do take a couple of precautions, though. When I'm at home, I put it in airplane mode and then turn on wifi. When I'm not around wifi, I turn airplane mode off and turn off wifi. That way only one radio has to be running all of the time. That obviously won't work if you frequently find yourself walking out of wifi range while you are talking, but it works great for me.

glarepate 4 Bar

Sounds like a very good way to extend battery life for the day and consequently long term. 

I got spoiled by the apps for the Defy that automated managing the radios for me.  On top of that I wanted to start out with a higher drain on the battery to see what would happen if I didn't manage the radios myself.  So far so good.

Let us know what your results are after a while of doing this.  Maybe I will become motivated to use  that system too.

john 2 Bar

I use the same process others in here have mentioned.  Turn off unwanted notifications or extend them if for example you have several email accounts, check your main one often, but the secondary ones as infrequently as possible.  Keep GPS off except when you really need it.  Shut off wifi when away from wifi access. 

The single most important battery extender however seems to be to use airplane mode, then turn wifi back on when you are go home or will be using wifi vs cell voice and data for an extended period.  The first thing I do when I get home is hit the pull down notication, tap the icon in the upper right corner, tap airplane mode, then flip on wifi.

billyc 3 Bar

Although I am on the fringe of Sprints cell service the Moto X last me all day without turning off 3 email accounts that update hourly. I do lots for surfing and keep the display up a-lot while also using phone for business calls. This all added up to a battery death spiral on the Defy but the Moto X has handled it swimmingly.

bryan727 1 Bar

I did all the suggested things, turn off all notification and turn off apps that I don't use which is almost everything since I only use the phone to talk and rarely text.  This is the reason why I use republic because I use the phone very minimum and don't even play game or listen to music on it.  I even have the wifi on at home and airplane mode but the battery only last a little more than a day.  What worse it when it's completely empty, it takes 2 hours (minimum) to fully charge.   I wish I knew, there should be some warranty with the new phone but no one to talk to.   I was planning to get a second phone for my family but I have to hold on that thought now.  My 3G iphone only takes 10-15 mins to fully charge when completely empty and I am not a fan of iphone that why I got rid of it - kind of regret now.

bryan727 1 Bar

Currently, I use my Moto-X likes a home phone just to talk when need to.  I got the phone almost one month now, one text, took couple pictures just for testing - that's it. No music or anything.  The main question is why does it takes 2 hours or more to charge when completely empty?

revmra 2 Bar

I don't know of any modern smartphone that will charge from empty faster than that. I know I saw a chart (which, of course, I can't find now--I believe it was on AnandTech) that had the Moto X as the fastest or second fastest charging phone of the latest generation. The simple solution is to plug it in at night.

beachb 4 Bar

It is perfectly normal for a Lithium Ion battery, like the one in the Moto X, to take 2 hrs to charge. Charging the battery too quickly causes excessive heat in the battery. Excessive heat will ruin the battery, causing it to lose capacity and shorten the life of the battery. Rapid charging just about any battery will eventually damage it. The rate at which the battery is charged is a trade off between convenience and battery longevity.

If you search the internet or these forums, you will find suggestions for reducing battery power consumption.

The battery is shipped with the phone at right around a 50 percent charge. That's because a lithium ion battery that will be stored for any length of time will experience less degradation in capacity and longevity if stored with a 50 percent charge. Storing the battery with a full charge or a minimal charge degrades the battery's life.

glarepate 4 Bar

I see a few folks have already chimed in in response to your post.  Here is my $0.02:

The Moto X has a battery capacity of 2200 mAh.  The charger that comes with it has the ability to provide 1050 milliamps of charging current.  So that means it takes about two hours to 're-fill the tank' with electrons.  As the battery loses charging capacity over time it will charge faster but will discharge sooner too.  So the resulting shorter charging time is not a great tradeoff but may provide a short term convenience for putting it back in use followed by a shorter useful period.

The iPhone 3GS batteries are significantly smaller.  1220 mAh.  I don't know what the charging rate is for an Apple charger or if you were using an Apple charger but I think you can see that it might not take as long to recharge a battery that is literally almost half the capacity.

Additionally iOS and Android do things very differently in terms of normal functionality.  iOS is more mature but Android is getting some good adaptations from a large group of programmers and engineers to make it more powerful while reducing energy waste in different areas.  Multi-core CPU multitasking is being overhauled and the Android Run Time code is being tested right now on a variety of devices.  So I expect things to improve.

I know that's no help to you this very second but time passes and things change.  Hopefully these things won't weigh you down in the interval but it won't be solved this week.

revmra 2 Bar

There is no way an iPhone 3G battery can recharge fully in 10-15 minutes unless the battery is lost a lot of its capacity. As a result, you will have substantially lower usage time. If you are still within your 30 days, you can return the Moto X. I guess I have to ask why you have a smartphone if you aren't interesting in using any of the smartphone technology. You'd be better served getting an old flip phone or something.

bryan727 1 Bar

I had a 3GS that took about an hour to fully charge but the 3G only took 15 mins to charge.  I don't know why I guess the previous owner must charged it properly at the beginning.