14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 8:39 AM by carenas RSS

Using both 3G and 4G with moto X

carenas 1 Bar

From what I can see (and I noticed there were several people complaining about 3G outages so it might not be correct), you can't use 3G data if you happen to be outside 4G coverage.

would it be something that people with 4G plans will be looking forward to have?, or is better to forget about 4G and get the 3G plan instead if you know the area you are going to go around doesn't have good sprint 4G coverage?

not worried much about speed (as I am mostly interested in navigation which should work even with 2G or sprint's slow 3G) but I am still unsure on what are people's experience/suggestion regarding this nonetheless

• Re: Using both 3G and 4G with moto X
    pjnc284 3 Bar

The 4G plan will fall back to 3G when LTE coverage isn't available.

carenas 1 Bar

I noticed that when I was out of 4G coverage there was a 3G icon in the phone and even some arrows implying there was some data flowing through it, but I wasn't able to connect (using either the navigation or facebook app) and so wasn't able to use 3G data.

noticed the plan says "4G" so it might be as well something intentional in the plan (which you might not seem to agree with), or a bug on the way the failover is handled or the same nondescript bug that people with 3G plans had been complaining about in the forums recently, but as I mentioned originally wasn't working as I would expect if your description would be correct.

is there a better way to test or help debug this issue?, does anyone with a 4G plan can confirm they are able to run "Navigation" (and not get a message saying no data available) when out of wifi and 4G?, could it be a localized issue for 3G (some of the reports in the forums seemed to indicate the problem might be related to sprint upgrading some of their towers in the SF bay area, at least)?

bitflung Ambassador

I noticed that when I was out of 4G coverage there was a 3G icon in the phone and even some arrows implying there was some data flowing through it, but I wasn't able to connect (using either the navigation or facebook app) and so wasn't able to use 3G data.

hrm. can you try testing two other apps in this case?

1. RW Dashboard app: just see if you can use the built-in RW app to access the community (here)
        2. Chrome: that's your web browser itself; see if you can open a simple webpage (like google, but try a search to ensure you're not just looking at a local cache of the page)

noticed the plan says "4G" so it might be as well something intentional in the plan (which you might not seem to agree with),

definitely NOT intentional - i currently have both 3G and 4G access myself and i know this is the expected behavior of the 4G plan. i agree that it is not clear on the marketing materials, but i am 100% confident in this. the 4G plan means (2G, 3G, and 4G), just like the 3G plan actually means (2G and 3G).

or a bug on the way the failover is handled or the same nondescript bug that people with 3G plans had been complaining about in the forums recently, but as I mentioned originally wasn't working as I would expect if your description would be correct.

it might be the same nondescript bug others have been complaining about lately. to be honest, i've been so busy with work and personal stuff lately that i never noticed the 3g bug (or maybe it didn't affect me?) - so i'm not sure it would be observed the same as what you've seen...

have you opened a support ticket? we should inform RW via the official channels so they can fix whatever is going on here.

with the arros blinking to indicate that traffic was apparently flowing, there should be some account of the data consumed. can you see what app actually got the data?

go to: (settings -> wireless & networks -> data usage)

then constrain the reported period to just a day or two (you can drag the white vertical bars around on the graph).

now, below the graph, you'll see a list of apps and the data they consumed. SOMETHING will (hopefully) be reported as having consumed SOME amount of data. what app(s) got data access?

is there a better way to test or help debug this issue?,

see above

does anyone with a 4G plan can confirm they are able to run "Navigation" (and not get a message saying no data available) when out of wifi and 4G?,

i can confirm this: I have LTE access as well as EvDO and 1xRTT (that's 4G, 3G, and 2G using Sprint's naming convention). all of the above work fine for me (the phone favors he 'best' connection though, so i can't use 2G data where i have 3G or 4G, but that's well known and expected of course)

could it be a localized issue for 3G (some of the reports in the forums seemed to indicate the problem might be related to sprint upgrading some of their towers in the SF bay area, at least)?

absolutely possible. make sure you open that support ticket (just one, if you already have then you've done your bit for now).

when you're experiencing the issue, you might try toggling airplane mode on then off again - just to force the cell radio to reset. that might help. if it really is an issue with your local towers, though, this clearly won't do anything.

FYI i'm on the east coast - everything seems to be working great over here. so it isn't a system-wide issue, but with only 2 data points i don't know how big (or small) the issue might be.

carenas 1 Bar

tried all the extra troubleshooting suggested and confirmed I wasn't able to connect to 3G (for data) at all.

RW support found that my phone/plan was setup in a way that prevented 3G to work (I bought it in the USD 10 plan originally) and after they corrected the configuration on their end and a reboot my phone has been happily falling back from 4G to 3G to wifi and back again.

I couldn't correlate what the arrows blinking represent but I suspect (based on the root cause of the problem) that it was the phone trying to authenticate unsuccessfully with a 3G tower again and again, in any case I am glad the issue wasn't widespread and could be solved in a fast way, even if I should had expected my phone would have triggered some alerts somewhere by trying to use repeatedly a service it was not authorized to use to begin with, and the process to change plans to 4G should had set the right authorization also for 3G automatically to prevent this to happen in the long run.

bitflung Ambassador

RW support found that my phone/plan was setup in a way that prevented 3G to work (I bought it in the USD 10 plan originally) and after they corrected the configuration on their end and a reboot my phone has been happily falling back from 4G to 3G to wifi and back again.

fantastic news - glad to hear it's working now!

interesting bug, too - i wonder if the bug itself (which caused your issues) has been fixed for everyone? did the support rep mention that?

thanks for keeping me in the loop

junk 1 Bar

OMG I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HOW DID YOU FIX YOUR PHONE?!.  I changed from the 10 plan to 3g but I have never been able to access 3G this whole time...

carenas 1 Bar

open a ticket and mention you are having the same issue after upgrading that was found while troubleshooting ticket #105162, because 3G is not authorized for your phone by a problem with the upgrade.

they will tell you to power off and power on your phone after they correct that and you should be set to go.

to open an ticket go to Republic Help, if you could get from them an ETA from when they will fix the root cause (whatever is going on during the upgrade that doesn't authorize correctly 3G) would be nice and interesting to report back.

williams.29jnnw 1 Bar

I live in San Francisco and have the same problem that the original poster (carenas) describes: I have a Moto-X, I upgraded to 4G sometime ago, I never ever see 4g in the tray, and I essentially cannot get data. I mostly use the Muni's next bus website, which worked great on my iOS4, but with my RW MotoX + 4g, it stalls forever on "Determining Location".

Email, etc fails w/ "Couldn't open connection to server".

Like carenas, there are arrow icons above the tray's 3G that I would have thought meant there was data flowing.

I know nothing about the difference between 4G and 4GLte, but I suspect my needs are simple enough and Sprint in San Francisco is decent enough that maps, email, etc should work.  That is to say, this is puzzling.

bitflung Ambassador

I live in San Francisco and have the same problem that the original poster (carenas) describes: I have a Moto-X, I upgraded to 4G sometime ago, I never ever see 4g in the tray, and I essentially cannot get data.

interesting - that is definitely pointing to some sort of issue specifically in the SF area. i wonder if it is a Sprint outage? do you know anyone on Sprint (directly on sprint, not via RW or another MVNO) who you could ask if they have 3G service issues just now?

I mostly use the Muni's next bus website, which worked great on my iOS4, but with my RW MotoX + 4g, it stalls forever on "Determining Location".

this isn't an iOS4 versus MotoX+4G difference, this seems to be a Sprint EvDO (3G) versus Sprint LTE (4G) difference. that is, it sounds like Sprint's 3G data services are broken in your area.  it is unlikely that it is broken on the motoX as a whole, since 3G services are working fine for others (even folks on the 4G plan).

you could experiment i suppose: try switching to the 3G plan (you can switch right from the phone). that would force your phone to the 3g service that many others are using right now - if that suddenly fixes things (i'd be very surprised, but it's not impossible) then it would seem to be a problem with RW's software. if not, then we've got very strong indicators pointing towards Sprint's service in your local area. Either way RW should be contacted (via a Support Ticket, not just a post in the forum here) to inform them of the issue in your area (and if it is Sprint's issue, RW would then have to submit a support ticket of their own to Sprint).

Email, etc fails w/ "Couldn't open connection to server".

as i asked  carenas, do you see ANY app getting data in the usage reports on the device? (see my last post to carenas for details on accessing that info).

also test whether the RW Dashboard app itself can receive data (can you browse this community from the RW app?); finally also check just the standard web browser (open google.com and do a search for something unique that you haven't searched for recently).

Like carenas, there are arrow icons above the tray's 3G that I would have thought meant there was data flowing.

seems like SOMETHING should be receiving that data...

I know nothing about the difference between 4G and 4GLte,

Sprint has used the term "4G" to mean two things:

1. WiMax (not actually a 4G spec at all; this is a dead tech that is not supported by the moto X and is being phased out)

2. LTE (this is the common tech that Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint all call 4G; this is what your moto X uses for 4G data)

there is a third tech called 4G, but it is not supported by Sprint (and therefore not supported by RW); it is more properly called HSPA+ and is a data protocol used by the GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile).

but I suspect my needs are simple enough and Sprint in San Francisco is decent enough that maps, email, etc should work.  That is to say, this is puzzling.

yup - i expect 3G to work everywhere Sprint has 3G coverage, and 4G to work where they have 4G coverage... really sounds like a fault on the sprint network to me, but given the recent noise regarding a 3G issue with RW i wouldn't rule out some localized equivalent issue in your area. be sure to open that support ticket!

and please fire back with any new insights you have; especially if you find that some particular app WAS receiving the data shown in the status bar (active 3G arrows). i'd love to know which app it was and try to figure out why THAT app was able to send/receive data...

williams.29jnnw 1 Bar

Hi Bitflung,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. To answer your question, no app at all can get data when I am away from my wireless network. Until a few days ago, I had 3g, and the story was exactly the same (in fact, that's why I switched to 4g: I assumed - incorrectly, I now believe - that it was a bandwidth issue.)

I opened a ticket, as you suggested; that is to say, I emailed "help@republicwireless.com" which is what the sales rep in live chat told me was the way to open a support ticket.

I will switch back to 3g as you suggest, though not right this moment. I am not hopeful that would work since, as I mentioned, I had the exact same issue with 3g a few days ago.

Also, I have called around to my workmates and found folks on sprint 4g, which they report to be working.

All this leads me to believe there is an issue on the Republic Wireless side.

bitflung Ambassador

Thank you for your thoughtful response. To answer your question, no app at all can get data when I am away from my wireless network.

you confirmed this via the data usage reports in the settings screen?

very interesting! perhaps the data was corrupt and therefore dropped before it hit the application(s).

Until a few days ago, I had 3g, and the story was exactly the same (in fact, that's why I switched to 4g: I assumed - incorrectly, I now believe - that it was a bandwidth issue.)

have you ever seen the data icon change to "4G"? if so, does you issue persist at that time?

I opened a ticket, as you suggested; that is to say, I emailed "help@republicwireless.com" which is what the sales rep in live chat told me was the way to open a support ticket.

yup, that's a fine way to open a ticket. another option is to use the HELP page (top of this screen) and click the big blue banner at the bottom inviting you to "ask us". (don't open a second ticket though, that would only slow things down - i gave that info for future reference)

I will switch back to 3g as you suggest, though not right this moment. I am not hopeful that would work since, as I mentioned, I had the exact same issue with 3g a few days ago.

yup, sounds to me that the issue has nothing to do with which RW plan you are on: Sprint 3G (aka EvDO) data access is simply broken for you.

Also, I have called around to my workmates and found folks on sprint 4g, which they report to be working.

are their phones working on 3G or 4G? if on 3G, then that's a good indication that Sprint itself isn't broken (would likely be a problem with RW then). If their phones work on 4G, it might not mean anything:

- you've talked about 3G not working for you even when you are on the 4G plan... but we haven't established just yet whether you've actually found a 4G (LTE) location to test at and if it worked there.

- your friends MIGHT be using Sprint's antiquated "4G" network, known as WiMax, which is completely unrelated to the contemporary 4G (LTE) sold by RW. if they have fairly new devices they are almost certainly using LTE, but if they might have old devices they COULD be using WiMax, making the comparison invalid.

All this leads me to believe there is an issue on the Republic Wireless side.

it's possible, but the facts aren't all in just yet. regardless, it's good that you've opened a support ticket. one of two things is likely required here:

1. RW may need to fix a bug in their systems (thus your ticket should inform them of their own bug); or
          2. RW may need to inform Sprint of a bug in Sprint's systems (and your ticket would inform RW of that bug)

either way, you've done your part now. i'm very curious to know how this plays out in the end, so please keep me/us in the loop (if you don't mind).

carenas 1 Bar

You might had hit the same "upgrading" bug I did, so check with your ticket and mention that a solution was found in mine (#105162) to expedite a resolution