23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 5:00 PM by wvfisher RSS

iPhone, Moto X and fixing SMS

theproductguy republicEmployee

We just posted the blog iPhone, Moto X and fixing SMS

Please leave questions and comments here.

Thanks

• Re: iPhone, Moto X and fixing SMS
    jben Ambassador

When a iPhone users sends a 'Group' message it can use SMS/MMS/iMessage

If the iPhone user (originator) fixes the address for an RW user ... will they be able to see the responses from other iPhone(iMessage) users ... or does this only fix the originator?

iOS: Understanding group messaging

happywillow0 Ambassador

Wouldn't turning off iMessage for the phone number / account be a better fix?

iOS: Deactivating iMessage

katyf 1 Bar

follow happywillow above.  Just deactivate iMessage and everything will work fine.  No need to get the other iPhone friends involved. I just did this and I'm receiving replies from iPhone users.

The permanent fix for this is to de-activate iMessage, but understand that the de-activation will sometimes take a few hours to propagate through the Apple infrastructure and may not work immediately.  If that's the case, the other party can send the message as an SMS, and you will get it.

We'll be adding a document to the Knowledge Center about this so that customers looking for assistance will be able to find it through search.

Thanks happywillow and others for the feedback.

happywillow0 Ambassador

I think I found the actual documentation about removing the phone number from the imessages facetime network.

It is under the additional info. iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage

If anyone could test it out, one of the ways the document says is to reset your Apple ID password which would essentially disable everything until you sign in on the device again.

rg 2 Bar

So apparently sliding off iMessage isn't the only thing you have to do. I just migrated my iPhone number to Republic (was very fast BTW) and I still have iPhone users messages not being delivered. After reading into the article further it hit me that iMessage is also tightly integrated into Facetime as well and sliding off iMessage will not remove your number being linked. You have to "sign out" of everything that is cached on your iPhone in order for it to release. This is why resetting your password is a 2nd fix since it forces everything that auto authenticates with your AppleID to reauthorize the account. Here is the text from the Apple help article:

Unlink a phone number

To remove a phone number from an Apple ID, sign out of FaceTime and Messages on your iPhone:

• Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
        • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

This should remove your phone number from other devices using the same Apple ID with FaceTime and Messages. If the phone number is still available on other devices after you sign out of FaceTime and iMessage on the iPhone, you may need to sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on all your devices, then sign in to FaceTime and Messages again on devices you want to use.

Note: If you no longer have access to the iPhone that is using the number you want to remove, reset your Apple ID password.

benjaminhester 2 Bar

"everything will work fine"

no, not necessarily.  I sold my iPhone after a factory reset...it was one of four iMessage enabled devices that I have. The other three are still in use.  Just to test, I disabled iMessage on everything - but even then, iPhone senders were still receiving failure messages when they tried to text me. 

Telling everyone to switch from iMessage (blue) to SMS (green) may be a simple fix, but there will be people that just don't get it, and others I forget to reach out to.

This is a significant enough problem that RW should warn customers of it before they transfer their number.  For myself - I want a new number, and to dump my old one.  It would be infinitely less hassle.

That is a great idea. Will look to see if we can get that change in quickly.

wvfisher Ambassador

heres a couple of apple documents that members have posted that might help

iOS: Deactivating iMessage

iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage

michaelkpdx 1 Bar

I had the same iMessage hijack issue. I'm always happy to troubleshoot first, so I tried all the above solutions to no avail. I eventually called Apple support and we'll see in 24hrs whether the issue will be resolved. If you've had the same issue as me, I hope recording my experience here will save you time in fixing the problem.

Call Apple Support (1-800-694-7466).

Because I had previously unregistered my iPhone in hopes of solving this problem, the Apple automated phone system had trouble finding my serial number. Eventually, I was connected to a real life person, Joseph. He understood my problem quickly and recognized it as a common issue. He said that people don't know that they need to call Apple to resolve the problem, that there are settings on his end that need to be changed in order to remove a phone number from all of Apple's system.

I'm not sure what Apple does on its end, but tech support said I had almost done everything I needed on my end: 1) disconnect from iMessage and 2) FaceTime on my iPhone and if I had any other devices (laptops or tablets) disconnect iMessage and FaceTime on those too. He also told me to 3) delete my iCloud account (I hadn't realized the iCloud part was necessary).

I'm now waiting for 24hrs to see if this truly is a final solution. Most of my friends, family, and business contacts are on iPhones that default to sending my number an iMessage so this is a problem that I need resolved or else I'll have to reluctantly leave Republic.

Below, I'm listing the four solutions I tried prior to calling Apple. Again, Apple said you need to call them anyway to fully remove your number from their iMessage systems.

• Turn off iMessage on your iPhone (Settings > Message) - Do this on all your Apple devices
            • Log out of AppleID
            • Flip the iMessage switch to off
          • Turn off FaceTime on your iPhone (Settings > FaceTime) - Do this on all your Apple devices
            • Log out AppleID
            • Flip switch to off
            • Remove phone number
            • I'm not sure this step is necessary, but I did it.
            • Remove iPhone or all devices (under My Products > Clicked "x" next to the iPhone listed)

Don't have your iPhone anymore?

For a moment, the Apple Support tech thought I didn't have access to my old iPhone and started having me log into iCloud in a web browser. Then apparently, you use Find My Phone to wipe your old phone remotely. I wouldn't know that process, though, cause I quickly told him I still had my phone.

What if you switched from iPhone to Moto X, but you also have an iPad and want to continue using iMessage on it? This isn't the case for me, so I can only speculate that you still follow the same process and have to wait 24hrs until the phone number is flushed from Apple's database before you can turn iMessage back on.

Helpful, but not complete solutions (at least for me):

- iOS: Deactivating iMessage

- iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage (scroll to bottom section: "Unlink a phone number")

chasem.pj9lf4 2 Bar

This is good news that republic acknowledges that almost all of the people you communicate with have iphones so the need for fully functioning SMS and MMS is crucial to anyone willing to give up there iPhone to go to the moto x.

But the problem still occurs because iphone useres will never even consider using anything but imessage and they will just tell you to get an iPhone like its your problem.

My question is about republic ever fixing the emoji encoding problem, especially with Google hangouts built in emojis that work perfectly when sent to an iPhone with the other carriers services? It wouldn't be a problem if iPhone users would switch to hangouts and I assume emojis back and forth would work perfectly. However, the people I know with iphones would never even think of considering this. I hope republic recognizes the importance of this problem I think it will be a huge concern to former iPhone users that emojis are now broken.

wvfisher Ambassador

My question is about republic ever fixing the emoji encoding problem,

FYI, unless I am missing somthing,  where is this just an RW issue? According to reports ( On the Google + Moto X community) this happens on all carriers with Moto X on Jelly Bean, and is fixed with the Kitkat update.

Once the testing and certification has been done and approved in the first QTR of 2014, RW Moto X will have KitKat and it will support color emojis .

• Android 4.4, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
        chasem.pj9lf4 2 Bar

I wasn't aware that it was an issue with other moto x's. I have personally sent fully working emojis on a boost (sprint) lg optimus f7 with 4.1 using hangouts. Google states the new hangouts supports hangouts with emojis as long as you have 4.0+

rg 2 Bar

Personally I do not care about the encoding issue nearly as much as the messaging server not delivering the message at all.

Had two different clients text me and because their messages had Apple keyboard emoji the message was never delivered to my Moto X.

I understand the coding side of things probably sees malformed chars from the emoji junk but it should just capture it in a string variable and pass it straight through instead of just dumping the message and not notifying me I have a missed text.

Let me decipher the garbled stuff I can read through the cutesy fluff and at least get the meaning of the message. This is easier said than done, I understand. I have not seen any official word that this known issue has a real work around other than telling people to not text you with them which does about as much good as asking everyone not to exceed the speed limit on the road ever.

chandleew 1 Bar

I was interested in reading what I have to tell my iPhone friends to do in order to text me, but what do I have to do to send a text to an iPhone owning friend?  I have tried only once and that message was not delivered. 

Thanks for your help!

mchm2000 1 Bar

I switched my imessages on my old iphone off last night and still can't receive texts from iphone users. Apple support says the change to off could take up to 24 hours. Have you ever heard of this?

benjaminhester 2 Bar

Yes, and it took close to a week before it finally cleared up for me.  I had to disable iMessage on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mini at work.  Some friends still had to manually switch from iMessage to SMS on their iPhones as well.

As near as I can tell, the only thing that really fixed the problem was the new owner of my old phone activating their own account it. 

The take away?  Get a new number when you buy a new phone.  Transferring your old number is not worth the hassle.

happywillow0 Ambassador

If anyone manages to find this, there is this wonderful link from Samsung about different ways to turn off iMessage.

How do I turn off iMessage on my old iPhone before I switch to my new Samsung device? : Verizon Tabs | Samsung

Don't forget that you can borrow a friends phone to sign in and then deactivate your number, Mac OS 10.8 also includes messages so you can turn off a number from there too.

andreaj.4zpp1d 1 Bar

I have been working with Apple support today to fix my iMessage/SMS issue.  They say they need to send me a text with a number that I will then read back to them, I am guessing to verify the number is still mine, but I am unable to receive this text because it is not from a 10-digit number.  I am receiving texts from non-iPhone users and from iPhone users who have shut off iMessage, but am still having trouble with the rest of the iPhone users.  I have already tried disconnecting the old iPhone from my apple account, signing out of iMessage on my apple devices (iPhone, Laptop, Desktop) and am still having issues.  Is there a middle ground for getting this text Apple wants to send me?