10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 6:31 PM by billmeek RSS

Dropped calls in Wireless

geneven 4 Bar

My router is a Linksys E2000, I think. I just got my Defy XT about four days ago.I have made just two calls; both dropped, but after 10-15 minutes. I saw the thread about calls dropping early in a call for security reasons but this doesn't seem to apply to these longer calls. How can I work on this problem other than by not making wireless calls?

• Re: Dropped calls in Wireless
    gaf 2 Bar

I've had 2 dropped calls after 10-15" on wifi also. Other calls were fine. I'll be interested in the answer to this too. Very odd.

billmeek Ambassador

You might need to setup some QOS (if you haven't already) to make sure the phone VOIP gets the priority.

Ports, Routers, and Traffic

geneven 4 Bar

Thanks; I'm not accustomed to setting QOS, but it was easily done. Sounds promising!

Edit: I had a very long call today that didn't drop so I hope setting QOS was the key for me.

rossd 2 Bar

Bill, I was still having trouble with dropped calls after several minutes, so I found a cheap D-Link 601 A1 (only the A1 hardware works) and flashed it with DD WRT; I think you mentioned that you have one of these in your network.  Could you please share the QOS and/or other settings you have used on this router to get the best call performance?  Thank you.

I am now using the DDWRT to take the input from the cable modem and do DHCP and then use an Airport Extreme and Express to do the wifi signal. 

(Note: Due to dropped calls, this has been the migration in my network.  I first started with the Airport Extreme and Express, then next tried a DIR-655 (since it has SIP ALG settings) with the Airports, now am trying the DDWRT with the Airports.)

billmeek Ambassador

QOS was completely disabled on the D-Link 601 A1.  Other than setting up basic network security, there was no changes to the default configuration during testing except for port forwarding that I require for one remote access application not related to Republic Wireless service.  I had multiple wifi access points connected to the 601 and calls were consistent over APs or directly connected to the 601 via wifi. 

Please note there was nothing wrong with the D-Link 601 A1 when it was swapped out.  I only replaced it because of testing another inexpensive router.

Are you still having having issues with dropped calls or is there another problem you are trying to address?  I still (currently) have the 601 here and can put it back online if needed. 

rossd 2 Bar

I just set up the 601 this evening.  The first wifi call going out worked fine (short).  The first wifi call coming in dropped after a few seconds (then cell tried to redial).  So that's why I started working on QOS.  Does it seem reasonable to prioritize SIP?  That's the key service involved right?

billmeek Ambassador

Before getting into QOS, I want to make sure that that you are connecting directly to the DIR-601 and not using the Airport Extreme or Express for wifi.  When troubleshooting issues, simplify the configuration as much as possible.

rossd 2 Bar

An update.  My call consistency has gotten better since I made a number of changes.  I picked up a cheap D-Link 601-A1, put DDWRT on it, this receives the internet from my cable modem, then I use the wifi from the 601 for my phone, pass the internet also to my Airport Extreme and computers, etc. get their wifi signal from that.  I also upgraded from 10/1 to 20/2 on the internet speeds.  It is of course not twice as fast but more consistent.