5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 4:52 PM by debrae RSS

Taking Screenshots with the MotoX

christopherc.7o94ku 1 Bar

Hi,

I am unable to take screenshots using the Republic Wireless Moto X. Have tried using the oft-sited "Power" / "Volume Down" key method as well as "Power" / "Home Screen" key method.

Can someone instruct how or an app which will handle this?

TIA,

• Re: Taking Screenshots with the MotoX
    carlh 5 Bar

The trick is to press power and volume-down at the same time and hold them down  until the phone makes a shutter sound.

christopherc.7o94ku 1 Bar

Hi,

I've tried this countless times but it doesn't make a shutter sound and often just reboots.

carlh 5 Bar

When you say "reboots", does it actually power off and start back up all by itself?   That's not generally possible unless the phone's also plugged in to USB on a computer.

If it shuts down it's because you tapped the screen after getting the power button without the volume button.   If the volume slider appears it's because you got the volume button without the power button.   Getting them both at once is key and holding them both down is key.

Try this:  Hold the phone in your left hand, your thumb should be at the top left corner, your index finger on the power button, your middle finger on volume-down button.   Then just press and hold both fingers at once.

It's a bit like riding a bicycle - until you figure it out, it's difficult, and afterwards, you'll be amazed that you had trouble.

wvfisher Ambassador

heres motorola's official help on this issue

http://goo.gl/TUkfal

and heres a  video

Moto X How To Take a Screenshot - YouTube

debrae 2 Bar

I tried it just now and my phone either shut down/rebooted or the volume went all the way down with the normal option to 'power off' and 'OK.'

Are you left handed, by any chance? I am.

The way that I did successfully get a screen shot was to hold the phone horizontally with the power and volume buttons facing myself. I cupped my hands (like C clamps) around the phone in such a way that my two middle fingers were touching the other side of the phone opposite the power/volume buttons. I used my little fingers to support the bottom of the phone. I used my thumbs to depress the power/volume buttons. I wish I could take a screenshot of this procedure to send to you. Anyway, I hope it helps in some way.

PS - This is probably a clearer way to describe what I did;

Hold the phone horizontally, with both hands, so that the back is facing the floor, the screen is facing the ceiling and the buttons are facing you. Use both thumbs to simultaneously hold down the power and volume buttons.