10 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2014 9:18 PM by debish RSS

BlueBird Debit Card?

debish 2 Bar

Hello, I am very new to Republic Wireless and I was wondering if anyone uses a BlueBird debit card from American Express here? It's a reload-able card from Walmart. If anyone does use the BlueBird card I'm wondering how well does it work here for you? Thanks

• Re: BlueBird Debit Card?
    jben Ambassador

Here is the official doc from Republic What forms of payment are accepted?

I would guess that because it is a American Express repackaged for Walmart that it should work, however when you try to order the system should accept/reject.  Then you can post back and let the community know for sure!!

debish 2 Bar

Thanks! If it doesn't work I'll cry, but I'll let you know!

jben Ambassador

Here's from the Bluebird site

How do I make online, mail-order, or phone purchases?

You can use your Bluebird Card for online, mail-order, or phone purchases with merchants that accept American Express® Cards. Be sure to have your 15-digit Bluebird Card number, the “valid thru” date, and the 4-digit security code on the front of the Card.

If you have a Temporary Card and have not yet received your Permanent Bluebird Card in the mail, please call us to add your name and address in order to use your Temporary Card for online, mail-order, or phone purchases.

debish 2 Bar

Thanks again J, but I think I saw somewhere on Blue Bird's site that it can be used for one time bill payments. I wonder if this means auto pay can't be set up?

debish 2 Bar

I looked into BB's bill pay option and since Republic Wireless is not in the data base BB will mail a check. I'm thinking this may not work out.

kiwibird 2 Bar

It will work, the bluebird card is an amex card, RW will just charge your card every month. Make sure you have funds in your bb account so the charge goes through.

debish 2 Bar

I sure hope so!

jesseh.4mqlw1 1 Bar

Did Bluebird work debish? I'm waiting for a re-loadable card that will allow me to buy a phone from them.

c1tobor Ambassador

Hi jesseh.4mqlw1

I don't know about the BlueBird card from American Express.

However, I set up an American Express "Serve" card (prepaid credit card) over a year ago, but never "activated it until a couple months ago.

It worked just fine for paying RW automatically my last due date, with the exception that I had a duplicate amount Pending (or on hold), that is released once the charge goes through. This was an issue with Chase backed credit cards, that RW has since fixed I believe.

I started this process to allow my teenage son to start understanding the world of credit, and responsibilities better.  The greatest thing I have found out so far is that there is no "load" fee.  It can be loaded at places like 7-Eleven and CVS.  Everytime I do it, the cashiers are concerned they are not seeing a "service" charge.

Also, AE is only charging me $1 a month for the service.  That can even be waived it you load it with a specific amount each month.

I have used this card all over the place testing it, including out of state, many times now, it has never failed.

debish 2 Bar

Hi Jesseh, I've not joined the Republic yet, but when I do I'll be using my debit card from my bank. I do however really enjoy my Blue Bird card!! Load it at Walmart, no fees! Really awesome, I've shopped all over the net with it, with no troubles at all