jigamo

Warning from Slashdot - how not to treat your community

Discussion created by jigamo on Feb 7, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 by kashley

I'm not sure if there are any other Slashdot readers here, but I thought it would be worth mentioning what's going on over there as a warning for how not to treat your community.  I've been very pleased with how Republic Wireless treats the discussions here and how they communicate with us about changes.

Slashdot recently posted a message that all users were going to be directed to a "new and improved" site in a few months.  The reaction has been rather toxic, with every post being overloaded with comments about this issue.  A boycott of the site has been planned from 2/10-2/17.

Slashdot Tries Something New; Audience Responds! - Slashdot

As you can see from the link, there are a lot of angry people who see decisions being made without proper communication.  Additionally, the feedback the members have submitted about the beta site has essentially been ignored, and the functionality they've come to expect has been overlooked.

While I would love to see an improved commenting and moderation system here, I'm thankful for the approach-ability, responsiveness, and open communication that exists between the employees and the members.  Thanks for listening to us and making this a place I like to visit!

Outcomes