53 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 5:06 PM by sarahd RSS

State of the republic (v. 1, issue 1)

2 Bar

We posted State of the republic (v. 1, issue 1). Feel free to discuss it here.

• Re: State of the republic (v. 1, issue 1)
    humpman 2 Bar

Very nice.  I'm looking forward to future issues.

1 Bar

Great news! I think that more communication from RW leads to better informed (and happier!) RW users. I think the weekly message is a great idea- I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming up.

gaf 2 Bar

Excellent! This sounds like real progress. Thanks for making these changes.

homelessonwheels 3 Bar

Thanks for the news you've given us today, and especially for making a comittment to weekly updates. I think I'm not alone in saying that one of the biggest complaints people had was a lack of substantive information at predictable intervals. This should put that issue to bed. Thanks so much, Jecca!

Also the news that you are planning to implement real-time phone or chat support - some issues can be resolved much faster with a direct back-and forth, like "try this" "no, didn't work" "ok, how about this" "It worked! Thank you!" could take a week via email, but just minutes in real time. Another solid round of applause!

aragorn450 2 Bar

Thank you VERY much for the blog post and even more for the commitment to weekly updates. That will certainly help us keep better informed about the progress that's being made (even if it's "nothing", still good to know!).

ryanl 2 Bar

Hopefully there will be some sort of MMS to Email bridge in the upcoming OTA. Just hoping.

bagger 2 Bar

Thanks for the blog post and the plans for weekly updates!

It was something I had asked for in the old community and it's simply fabulous that it is now being implemented.

Even "status quo" updates sate a community who chills easily when left in the dark.

david.schooley 1 Bar

When will Wave A be able to upgrade to the Defy XT...? I feel like I missed it, but there is no official word from RW, yes or no, on whether we've been invited to upgrade or not.

bobbyg 3 Bar

Sweet!!  By the time I land on the beach,  I'm sure everything will be running on surf control!!

pkburn Ambassador

Thanks for listening to us.  A weekly update will be fantastic!

davoice 2 Bar

Good to hear of progress!

As for... "We've heard from several of you that one week isn't enough time to take advantage of the invitation (especially since many of you are sneaking in summer vacation before school starts). We're extending the time you'll have to respond to an invite to two weeks for all future waves."  Nice PR spin but it's not the whole truth.

It's not just that one week wasn't enough. It's that you guys originally promised, in writing, to give us at least 1 week notice before our turn came to accept our spot in a wave.  But when you rolled out Wave C, you gave no notice whatsoever and then just said we had 7 days to respond.  Thus you did not honor your own written promises.

So in actuality, the extension of waves to 2 weeks is simply you finally honoring your original word like you should have done in the first place.

2 Bar

In extension to this post, I want to ask if making the availability for purchase 2 weeks, could this have pushed back the opening of future waves?  I guess my perspective is from one that's waiting in a future wave but would like to ask if end of October completion of waves is still a plausible goal, even though new waves seem to be added regularly?  I hope so, as wave K still seem like a ways out.  All I need is one day and I would be signed up...

Contrary to post above, no need to argue if it's a PR spin or not, it is what it is and I appreciate the thought... You probably don't have the time to argue if it's a PR spin or not, and not of importance anyway.  Thanks for the updates!

elissa 2 Bar

I just thought that it would be good to post the actual wording from Republic Wireless so everyone can see what the wording was. (As soon as I read your post, that is what I wanted to know) From my beta wave confirmation email they said:

2.  When it's time for your wave to purchase, you'll be notified a week or more in advance by email.

3.  At that point, you'll have one week to place your order and pay your startup fee. Your order will be processed and shipped based on when you paid.

To me this meant 1 week to begin with, but to others that obviously meant 2 weeks. Anyway, Shizit hit the nail on the head; at this point I think arguing about who is right won't change things.  I'm glad that republic wireless is helping meet the two week expectation for those who need it, but I hope that this doesn't add a super delay for us later wavers.

geneven 3 Bar

There has been some discussion of the fact that many of us have been running out of space on our phones, and I understood that Republic was going to load some of the apps that many of us don't want to run anyway so that they don't take up so much of our scarce space. It's that true? When will that be done?

pirate96 2 Bar

Absolutely Fantastic! I love the commitment to weekly updates. That allows us to all feel like we are part of the Community. This is a huge step forward in building the right type of community. We are all in this together and these weekly updates will ensure we all know what is going on!

Going to enjoy watching and participating with RW as they rocket to the top of the Cell World!

1 Bar

I have a Nexus One that I bought 2 years ago. I'm in Beta Wave K but I can't see buying virtually the same hardware that I bought in 2010. Any chance we'll have a higher powered handset by then?

2 Bar

Weekly communication!  Awesome.  This is really needed for RW.

Some good information in the blog.

Curious why the elephant in the room was ignored though.  The people who's audio drops after 10 seconds on wifi calls seem to be a show stopper bug IMO.  Yet it's not even making the list for RW.  That's scary.

2 Bar

Although not 100% sure it seemed like this issue has a lot to do with which router a user is using... Seeing that there are so many manufacturers of routers out there, I don't believe this will ever be perfect.  For me, I'm willing to spend some of the money I save to get one of the routers shown to work with the phone, which there is a thread for... too lazy to look for it now though

johnny.b.y.phi 2 Bar

Even though the waves are open for two (2) weeks, waves could overlap or be several waves could be opened simultaneously?? Yes, yes, hope, hope.

RW, I know you can't make everyone happy (imagine the President), but I am truly supportive of your initiative to take the leap to counter Big Cell. There are bumps in the road, and for those that aren't patient with the understanding of BETA, then they should be voted off the island!

Keep it up and thank you for the weekly updates ... even if there is nothing to report, just a note saying we are still here.

pkburn Ambassador

How come this thread says it is in the open mic, but doesn't show up under "all discussions" ?  Is that done on purpose?

2 Bar

Yeah at least a note or the geek squad that lurks these forums might attach you again.

I for one, understand why there are delays, why there was really no need to do weekly updates(but I know it's been done because people complain, not really because is necessary). It's a diplomatic thing to do, I know.

I appreciate your service and you guys can take your time and there are a lot of people here who do not mind the Motorola Defy XT and do not mind that it can not be rooted and the limited space is okay  because I know there is a logic to it, but I guess people do not understand that. But I do. Keep up the good work.

tntmorgan 2 Bar

Thanks. I look forward to new updates. I appreciate that you have taken customer feedback to extend the time open to 2 weeks. However, for those of us in the later waves, I am concerned about getting our orders pushed back. Will that happen? Or do you continue to plan to open new waves every week so that you meet all deliveries by Fall?

rossd 2 Bar

Thanks!  Looking forward to call quality enhancements.  Will you be address the echo the person on the other line sometimes hears?  Thanks for the hard work.

jeremiah.bess 1 Bar

Here it is, the end of the week and no further updates and no emails for upgrades. I don't understand how hard it is for Wave A'ers to get their chance at an upgrade, we've been waiting since the end of July. I really think we should have been the first to get the DEFY, since we've been suffering with the awful Optimus for quite a long time. Please put out an update today, and please let us upgrade now.

davoice 2 Bar

Jeremiah,

Having been through the replacement of my Defy with a new Defy due to a faulty GPS receiver, I can say from experience... be careful what you ask for. They're not ready yet.

Swapping me from one Defy to another Defy appeared to be an almost completely manual process.  I got the new Defy, replied to the ticket, then someone had to initiate the swap.  The process took about 6 hours because the provisioning system wasn't working right in the morning and my phone wouldn't activate on Sprint's network.  I assume Sprint's backend was hosed in the morning.  Then when it finally got activated on Sprint, it wouldn't provision on Republic's system.  It took them multiple attempts to actually get my new Defy activated and provisioned.

Thus when they say, "please be patient", in this case I think they mean it.  I can't imagine what would happen if a couple hundred people all wanted to be swapped to new phones and all of them had to be done manually.  You guys would surely be  cussing!

bagger 2 Bar

I am a little concerned about there not being a post for this week, as well. But the day is not over. Still, with the RW track record, so far, I do reserve doubts about whether the post will come through. True, the community portion of RW is entirely different from the development department of RW, but the association is still there.

Speaking to your other request, I do not want them to try and release the Defy for Wave A before the process is perfected. My Optimus is working as well as it ever has, and I can patiently wait for the Defy if it means the transition will be mostly bug free. I've been waiting since January anyway, so what is a few weeks more?

josec 1 Bar

I just received my phone this week. I transfer one of my numbers to Republic Wireless. After my phone was transfer yesterday, I can't make or received any calls in my Republic Wireless phone. I have no phone now because my other number from Republic was replaced by my old number and I don't have access on my old phone to my number.  Someone knows how to get support for this?

sarahd republicEmployee

We're locking this thread, please direct your comments and questions to the most recent blog post.