36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 5:08 PM by sarahd RSS

State of the republic (v. 1, issue 3)

2 Bar

This week's State of the republic is up. As always, feel free to post questions or comments here. Thanks!

• Re: State of the republic (v. 1, issue 3)
    moose26 2 Bar

RW: "We wanted to make sure that all you Wave A’ers had the info on roaming so you could make an informed decision based on your area and usage."

Weighing that now, Waiting for more data input. MOOOOOOOOOOORE info please in the next few weeks.

You have my full attention after the news about the Defy roaming or not issue.

providence 3 Bar

Now that we are identifying and trying to work through hardware and software issues, my main question is... When does the real "upgrade" phone get announced?  It has been 2 months since the last unknown phone went into testing.  Is there going to be a next phone or is the Defy the best option in the foreseeable future?

robertc Ambassador

providence wrote:

When does the real "upgrade" phone get announced? 

Absolutely. Is RW still going to push the Defy as 'upgrade?' It sounds as if it has been a continual disappointment. I won't participate in RW any longer if the Defy is to be THE phone.

1 Bar

It sounds like to me that its a good thing that I haven't been a part of the first two phones that are The Republic. Seems continual problems. I would like to see a phone that would obviously roam like it needs to but also have a bit more hefty specs. I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt thru Verizon and while I don't expect to get a phone like that from here (unless I'm gonna pay a LOT for it, and I can't really afford to) I would expect at least a decent midrange phone, especially for $250.

homelessonwheels 3 Bar

Looks like we're now at 3 weeks per wave - not only no overlap, but a whole extra week in between. At that rate it'll be:

F -  9/28

G - 10/19

H -  11/9

I - 11/30

J - 12/21

K and beyond - 2013

OTOH, maybe they're taking a break for a week to gear up for concurrent multiple waves? Or because there is another phone about to be announced? Hmmmmm. One can only wonder.

billmeek Ambassador

Getting ready to offer upgrades to the Wave A members and the issue with Defy XT roaming has likely put a BIG dent in the wave timeline don't you think?

homelessonwheels 3 Bar

True, wave A upgrades were hinted at. That would probably take more than a week, but might run concurrent with the new waves. The Defy XT roaming issue probably has only two possible solutions: continue with it as-is, and deal with the changed expectation, or stop shipping them until they can be patched/replaced/whatever. The former shouldn't affect distribution, and the latter would delay it far more than a week, I'd think. I guess we mushrooms will find out... eventually.

billmeek Ambassador

Upgrades can, and likely will, have an effect on wave timelines since the porting department will likely have a large number to handle porting numbers from the Optimus S phones. As I understand it, internal porting is more difficult than porting numbers from other carriers. You're also assuming that there are no problems with the update ordering process which could be different from new orders.  Call me a pessimist, but I never assume everything is going to go smoothly.

hscarpo 3 Bar

I do not know how repiblic wireless works but internal porting should be seamless and quick.  I have replaced my Virgin Mobile phone several times and all they need is the ESN number, they deactivate it on the old phone and activate it on the new one.  They say up to 24 hours but it usually only takes and hour or less.  Their bigger issue would be updating all the accounts with the new phone and ESN number which needs to also be uploaded to Sprint so their systems know the phone, so that is probably your issue.  They are creating software for their systems to automate this process.  You will probably have to input the ESN numbers so they will not have to be on the phone with every Wave A person to do it.

ohio29 3 Bar

now this looks like the real timeline here.RW you need to hire this guy

ncdave4life 2 Bar

Are you going to have an "open house" for us locals to come see your new digs at NCSU?

cb 2 Bar

Hi,

can I get a link to info on the software push you mentioned?

Thanks

paulp13 2 Bar

No mention at all about fixing the roaming problem fix. So, I assume that we're going to have to like it or leave it. After following and waiting for 6 months, it looks like I'm going to be leaving it. I think The Republic has spoken that they want the phone to work as originally planned.But it is falling on deaf ears.

2 Bar

It would be a good idea for republic to only have 2 weeks for each wave but also have the waves overlap with each other.

No one wants to wait until January to get their phone when there in wave k L or M its just to long just imagine the people that are in Z.

paulp13 2 Bar

Not sure about that. I'm in wave K and hope it takes a while because I don't want their service if there is no roaming. But the way it looks RW has gone underground and buried their heads in the sand over this 800 MHz antenna debacle. People are going to be jumping off like rats on a burning ship pretty soon.  

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi paulp13,

I don't see how you can characterize anything republic wireless is doing as going underground and burying their heads in the sand.

They have made the announcement via the Product Guy's blog of the issue, Thursday night.

They posted the new coverage map, as promised, Friday evening.

They followed up with Jeccaj's "State of the republic" blog post on Friday night. That was an important step because that is sent by e-mail. Every current customer and every future customer needs to be aware of this issue.

In that blog post it says, "We’ll summarize the basics on how this works with the 30 Day Guarantee (and other policy stuff) soon. We’re finishing that up for posting Monday most likely."

They are having to come up with a reasonable approach to a situation they did not anticipate. They have promised further details on Monday. 

I can understand your frustration and I agree folks will be jumping ship. But I definitely disagree with your assumption that just because there are no quick, wonderful answers, that they are underground or burying their heads in the sand.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, Optimus owner, not a republic wireless employee

paulp13 2 Bar

"In that blog post it says, "We’ll summarize the basics on how this works with the 30 Day Guarantee (and other policy stuff) soon. We’re finishing that up for posting Monday most likely.""

Ok, 30 day guarantee - Their going to tell everyone again what their policy is on the guarantee. Try it and see will be their new tactic.

Other policy stuff - That could be anything but I doubt it will address the issue.

So they stopped working on the Optimus roaming issued given the new Defy would be the answer. Now they say, Oh wait that doesn't roam on 800  Mhz systems. What next?

I think you give them way too much leeway. I won't say anything more until Monday, lets see what they come up with for excuses this time

2 Bar

I have a question. I'm an original Wave A customer who is interested in upgrading when it's finally ready. But the original upgrade offer email said we would get a discount if we upgraded within 60 days (which I believe has passed or is about to). I would assume that since it's delayed, that 60-day discount offer would also be extended, but I haven't seen any mention of it. Can someone confirm that will be the case? Thanks!

2 Bar

It probably will take a week or two but, at least they are offering a chance for most people to swap devices when they introduce the dual band

2 Bar

Yes I was referring to after the dual band is available for purchase

nerys 3 Bar

please let the new phone be GOOD hardware and no junk apps in fact no apps at all NAKED please I will select my apps thank you very much and rootable.

an S2 would be really nice an S3 would be insanely cool. ie a REAL phone.

mchasal Ambassador

I'm pretty sure the dual band phone we'll be seeing by the stated end of the year time frame is going to just be the Defy XT-556. Not that it precludes them adding a higher end phone in the future, but the immediate fix will most likely just be the version change.

shc 3 Bar

New phone will not be available anytime soon as republic wireless has to take care of current issue with single band phone.  Please keep in mind that republic wireless targets consumer seeks the lowest monthly charge with unlimited usage but can careless with phone model and operating system.  For people care about phone model and operating system, republic wireless simply is not your type of MVNO (mobile virtual network operator).

nerys 3 Bar

well if its the xt556 we will learn whether RW is anti consumer or not. ie will they ACTIVELY lock us out of our own hardware since the 556 is already rooted.

sarahd republicEmployee

We're locking this thread, please direct your comments and questions to the most recent blog post.