61 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 5:09 PM by sarahd RSS

State of the republic (v. 1, issue 4)

sarahd republicEmployee

We just posted the weekly State of the republic. As always, feel free to leave your comments and questions here.

• Re: State of the republic (v. 1, issue 4)
    widowmaker 2 Bar

1st Maybe?

(Just one of us "A" Wave Republicans, laying in the weeds, waiting for the upgrades.)

pkburn Ambassador

Thanks for the update sarahd.  Any word on if there will be price changes on the single band defy and/or the dual band before wave F starts?   Thanks.  I know I'm trying to pull more info than you already gave in the update, but this is a biggie for me.  I am definitely happy to have the weekly updates.

prosopopoeia Ambassador

Thanks for the update, sarahd. I'm so pleased that RW acknowledged the single-band problem and is working to make it right. In the meantime, since these cluster fluffer nutters don't occur in a vacuum, I hope that Motorola is stepping up to do their part in making the new phone introduction smooth and easy. I wish I knew someone at Google, so I could just browbeat them into providing fancy new CDMA Nexuses (Nexii?) for all RW beta wavers.

theproductguy: Will your post about the OTA update include the planned DeviceScape integration? I guess I could just wait and find out, couldn't I? Anywho, that is what I'm most excited about, I have no idea why. I just love seeing that green arc at the top of my screen, especially when I'm in a cellular dead zone like the basement cafeteria of a hospital. Awesome.

johnn 1 Bar

A Wave F'er question or two --

Will Wave F'ers who buy the single band be able to upgrade to the dual band for free like the A-E people?

What is a ball park date for the dual band to be available?  Are we talking two weeks or after Christmas or next summer?  I realize a lot of this depends on the Sprint test labs, but surely, you can make a good guess.

Will the roaming coverage map your working on show the augmentation given by having the dual band vs. the single band in some fashion?

Thanks

mchasal Ambassador

johnn wrote:

A Wave F'er question or two --

Will Wave F'ers who by the single band be able to upgrade to the dual band for free like the A-E people?

From the previous post, https://community.republicwireless.com/blogs/republic/2012/09/25/roaming-upgrades-the-waves-and-versions-of-the-defy-xt No. You can choose to take the single band when your wave comes around, or wait for the dual band. You won't have to give up your spot though, when the dual band comes out, you'd be able to buy right away.

What is a ball park date for the dual band to be available?  Are we talking two weeks or after Christmas or next summer?  I realize a lot of this depends on the Sprint test labs, but surely, you can make a good guess.

They said "later this year" so I'm assuming that's more in the December time frame if all goes well.

Will the roaming coverage map your working on show the augmentation given by having the dual band vs. the single band in some fashion?

Thanks

The standard Sprint map shows what the dual band will cover. Not a direct comparison tool, but gives you an idea.

bioguru 3 Bar

Thanks for this update!

This is really great of you guys to take care of the original testers with the single band and NO CHARGE!  Whoop!! 

And ALSO willing to replace the early 2nd wave (B-E) with a dual-band phone at no charge. 

sweet!

I look forward to the dual band as I dropped a phone call three times yesterday while driving.

1 Bar

Hi-
    I'm in wave G. If I were to get the single band phone when I get my invitation, would I be upgraded for free when the new one becomes available?

Thanks

homelessonwheels 3 Bar

Not sure if we learned anything new today, but still, please know that all communication, even when it is just to say "we're still here and things are moving in the right direction" is greatly appreciated.

sarahd wrote:

Waves: We’ll be continuing with Wave F this week. Wave F folks will have the option to purchase the single-band DEFY XT now, or can wait for the roll out of the dual-band DEFY XT.

Still unanswered is the burning question of what, if any, will be the price difference between the two phones. Will the single-band be discounted and/or the dual-band be priced higher? Most of us waiting in line would like to know this without having to wait for our turn to come up and see what the offer is.

1 Bar

So what about those Wave C'ers who have the Single band, that want to upgrade to the dual band, but lack the box?.. (when I got mine, I was traveling, so I usually dump anything not required..

pkburn Ambassador

The State of the Republic v 1 issue 4 said:  "Waves: We’ll be continuing with Wave F this week. Wave F folks will have the option to purchase the single-band DEFY XT now, or can wait for the roll out of the dual-band DEFY XT. For those waiting for the dual-band, you’ll be notified via email once it’s ready for purchase. Please make sure we have the correct contact email address by logging in to My Account....."

FYI sarahd...Waves F+ are not able to log into "my account"  as it states in the last sentence above.  Since none of us are customers, we don't have access to "My account".  And if we decide to wait for the dual band we still won't be customers. Just thought you might like to know.

johnn 1 Bar

Thank you everybody for your replies.

For Wave F'ers (and beyond, I suppose), it comes down to making a $300 quick decision.  I would like to make an informed decision.  To make this decision, I need to know if I need the dual band.

I am having difficulty figuring it out.  Can someone more knowledgeable with roaming coverage, help me or point me to good resources (not some little map I need a magnifying glass for.  I live in Redding, Ca., but I travel around occassionaly towards Reno, Nv, west towards the coast, and north into Oregon.

Thank you very much for any help.

seanr republicEmployee

Go here any put in Redding, CA and figure the areas not in dark green will not have coverage.

jeremyr 3 Bar

johnn,

The defy xt coverage map that was released is for the single band 1900 MHz version of the defy, with the 1900 MHz you will usually have better coverage in more populated areas.  With the dual band defy your device can pick up the 800 MHz towers which are in more rural areas because the 800 MHz signal penetrates through forestry and other obstacles better, the original republic wireless coverage map was representing the dual band coverage. If you need more clarification just let me know and i will try to be more clear.

johnn 1 Bar

Thnaks jeremyr.  This is a very helpful explanation.  In and around town, I know I have the 1900 MHz coverage, but when I get away from town, there is a lot of forest and such.  Even though the 800 MHz band would be needed on a very small percentage of calls, I think, for peace of mind, I'll wait it out some more (sigh).

1 Bar

i spent about an hour looking, so if its been asked and answered, I appreciate someone providing the link.  Is there an estimate of time from one wave to the next?  For example, currently in wave F.  Eta to wave G, H.  Been waiting for a phone that will be my son's and needing to know if I can get it before Christmas.

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi jtravisl,

It's been asked, but not really answered. Republic wireless has said their goal is to have about 2 weeks between waves. There have been some unforeseen issues that caused delays, and you never know if there might be more.

Be sure you're fully informed about the hardware limitations of the DEFY XT and why there are going to be two versions offered. I would not count on the dual-band version by Christmas.

Roaming, Upgrades, Waves and Versions of the DEFY XT

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, Optimus owner, not a republic wireless employee

2 Bar

How will the single bad to dual band upgrade happen? Will we have to ship our single band phones to you and then you ship the dual back?

The OTA update.... what will that include? Will it remove the bloatware?

Will the new dual band Defy phones have more internal memory than the single band phones? Why not kill two birds with one stone and improve the upgrade Defy so that it can hold more apps?

mchasal Ambassador

lorenzo wrote:

How will the single bad to dual band upgrade happen? Will we have to ship our single band phones to you and then you ship the dual back?

Hasn't be specified yet, but I'm guessing they will ship the replacement phone first and then you return the old one. Maybe needing a CC to secure it.

The OTA update.... what will that include? Will it remove the bloatware?

Not set in stone, but there's some info here: https://community.republicwireless.com/blogs/republic/2012/09/06/state-of-the-republic-v-1-issue-1 and @seanr did say they were looking at making some apps removeable.

Will the new dual band Defy phones have more internal memory than the single band phones? Why not kill two birds with one stone and improve the upgrade Defy so that it can hold more apps?

This is not a new phone they're developing, it's just the dual band version of the Defy XT, the model 556 instead of the single band 557.

richard 1 Bar

Your service works fine as long as I'm at home or near wifi, whenever I'm in my car it never works. What's going on? Am I doing something wrong? Please help. Also, I am one of the original members and want to upgrade to the new phone. How do I do that?

Thanks

billmeek Ambassador

Richard,

I just looked to see if you have mentioned this problem in any other discussions and did not see any posts. You might want to start a new discussion so we can do more troubleshooting on the issue to determine the cause of the Optimus S not working in the car.  It's possible that an upgrade may not resolve the issue. 

richardp 1 Bar

MMS...will the next OTA address MMS.  As a wave A member...I think it's time!

johnn 1 Bar

Thanks everybody for your replys.  They have been helpful with an extra shoutout to jeremyr and seanr.

bobbyg 3 Bar

All Good!

1 Bar

OK so I just got my wave F invite, but I can't decide if I can use the new phone or not...

I live WAY up in northern Maine, and we only get US CELLULAR and VERIZON for service.  The coverage map you provided shows 'wifi' only.  I really want to use Republic Wireless, but I can't justify the startup  costs if I am going to have a useless phone when I'm out of the house.    Do you have any advice?

Also, if my offer expires, how am I going to be able to get the dual band phone!?  Will we get a NEW invite link in the above mentioned 'later' email? 

1 Bar

hey sarad, i want to refer you back to your blog posted on nov 28 2011,  (submited by jessica on mon 11.28.11, part of it says:

Many people have inquired about the welcome19 special offer which just expired, 19 days after launch

We’re extending the welcome19 promotion for the following situations:

• You signed up to receive a special offer on our “preview” web page, while the signup was still available prior to November 8.  If you did, you received the $99 offer via an email from us on November 7.
    • You attempted to place an order that is currently listed in My Account as “incomplete” and you entered the welcome19 discount code in the first step of the order process.
    • You attempted to place an order that was not accepted, and you can’t view any orders in My Account.  If this happened to you, you should’ve received an email with the subject “Incomplete Order” on November 15.

dear sarad, i even had 2 uncompleted orders in my accout in old account server, and i can provide to invoice numbers and pdf files from phoneboot, including accepting promo code, and i fall into these catagories, and i have always use the same email add, repeating same eamil add, i was expecting i'll get it afer ordering, but didn't, i tried the support, but they keep denying, please clerify, thanks

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi garine72,

They clarified the issue here: Questions about the welcome19 Offer

Basically you had to sign up for the offer before launch. If you have the Nov. 7 e-mail titled, "The wait is over... here's your offer!" then you should have received the discount on your recent purchase.

Comments on that topic go in this discussion: Questions about the welcome19 Offer

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, Optimus owner, not a republic wireless employee

1 Bar

hey southpawkb, thank for your answer, can you look at the blog posted from sarad on november 2011

blog posted on nov 28 2011,  (submited by jessica on mon 11.28.11, part of it says:

Many people have inquired about the welcome19 special offer which just expired, 19 days after launch

We’re extending the welcome19 promotion for the following situations:

• You signed up to receive a special offer on our “preview” web page, while the signup was still available prior to November 8.  If you did, you received the $99 offer via an email from us on November 7.
        • You attempted to place an order that is currently listed in My Account as “incomplete” and you entered the welcome19 discount code in the first step of the order process.
        • You attempted to place an order that was not accepted, and you can’t view any orders in My Account.  If this happened to you, you should’ve received an email with the subject “Incomplete Order” on November 15.
        1 Bar

and how come    how do the phoneboot send me 2 invoices including welcome19 discounted rate and i get the email that they know that i tried to order at the lunch date, and how there was an promo space to put in , just because of the system being down it did not process-and i have always used same email address ---- please answer me how my invoice includes the promo code discount if i was not eligible?

lanad 1 Bar

i'm like a few others -- i initially signed up for Republic wireless in April 27 and again June 6; i checked the area of the website that stated if I signed up before a certain date that i could check my wave status using my email address(es) and i did and did not find my information so i joined again 2 days ago.  here is my current email address and i've created a "login" on this site: lana_dial@yahoo.com.  i am happy to forward messages received from Republic after my first two "joins" if i could get an email address to send them to.  just let me know.

last, please know i am excited about this opportunity and i just do not want to miss out.  thank you for reading this message.

Lana Dial

lana_dial@yahoo.com (and my old/not current email address was ltdial@mindspring.com)

walterl 1 Bar

I am in wave G and am leaning towards waiting for the dual mode phone. Your instructions just to wait when the wave open to order the DEFY seem to me to have a big hole. If I did not want to continue to join the wave how does that differentiate me from others who are waiting for the dual mode phone. Here is a suggestion: Have some option in the email to add your name to a list for the dual mode. RW will then know how many back orders they have for the dual and how many have abandoned their place in the wave.. 

billmeek Ambassador

If anyone opts out of the single and dual band offers, they simply will ignore both invites.  I don't really see a need for them to add an inbound "I want a dual band" email tracking system. It's much easier to just send out a batch of invites for those that didn't purchase the single band phone.

2 Bar

I think it makes eminent sense.  After the close of the wave, republic knows the potential number of dual band phones it needs to order and more importantly, it is getting an estimate of how much total volume will be generated when the phones are released later this year.  Secondly it also determines how many people have lost interest and left.

Lets use some hypothetical figures, 25% are waiting and 25% have no interest.  This means to me that republic could double up the waves until the dual band release.  At that time, they effectively have a backlog of an additional one or two "hidden" waves to service with the upgrade phones.  This sounds like there will not be any additional wave openings in December due to the dual band release and the Christmas holidays assuming the phone is available at the beginning of the month.

Just my thoughts

ander 2 Bar

Are there any plans to speed up the waves? At this rate it will be 4 months before rw gets to M and  N waves.

2 Bar

dear

I have sign up for republic wireless since 3 weeks and they reply me to get the service after 2 weeks, but until now i didnt get

2 Bar

When RW "answers" a question, it always seems tto be as clear a ss a glass of milk:

“You will have your standard 30 days to test drive your DEFY XT.  That doesn't change.  However, once you activate your upgraded DEFY XT, your Optimus will be deactivated and unable to be restored.  Thanks for the email and sorry for the confusion.

That begs the question - How can we "test drive" a phone if it isn't activated ????.....................

Your device is shipped to your "cold". You will have instructions on how to activate the phone once you receive it.  Once that activation is complete, your DEFY XT will be activated and you LG Optimus will be deactivated.  You will have 30 days to test drive it from there." 

Soo, when you "test drive" the Deft, your Optimus is deactivated.    I think the word "TEST" - does not mean "temporarily". but rather permanent as far as the Defy.  Once you purchase one, there is NO going back to the Optimus..... ?

1 Bar

Wow, I am in G and got my letter to apply....have been trying for the last two days to order a phone from the website and your site does not go thru past the second or third page, just stops and goes to a dead zone......this is a sign!  If you can't even order, what kinda of service or preformance can i expect from RW when I actually get the phone!   Really shows how poor your site is from the getgo!   This really concerns me!

sarahd republicEmployee

We're locking this thread, please direct your comments and questions to the most recent blog post.