10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 3:26 PM by rob_oppie RSS

Defy XT user guide from Motorola - Couldn't this be in Documents here?

yaomtc 2 Bar

I've attached the manual for the Defy XT, also available here:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8557

Is there any reason this couldn't be made available for download here as well? So users are more likely to know it exists.

Also, we use the XT557, and the newest manual is for the XT556 - I take it these are different hardware revisions? Anyone know what the difference is, if any?

• Re: Defy XT user guide from Motorola - Couldn't this be in Documents here?
    billmeek Ambassador

I refer people to the Motorola page to make sure they have the most current revision of the manual. 

The 556 is dual-band (1900 and 800Mhz); the 557 is single band (1900Mhz only).  That's the only difference.

1 Bar

Can anyone help me decipher what the little symbols in the top left corner of the phone mean?  I could only find a few in the manual (e.g., voicemail symbol).   I see a grey rectangle with an M in it, a circle with an exclamation point, a outline of a rectangle with a 1, a suitcase like grey symbol with a play button (triangle) inside, a blue circle with an arrow underneath a green cirlcle with the letter i in it.  What do these mean? Or where can I see a reference to their meaning?

mpaul 2 Bar

I agree that a user manual should be hosted in the carrier's website (Under Support) for the same reason the spec sheet is in the Sales section.

I went looking to understand the "Silent Mode" icon in my phone and was disappointed to see the User Guide was not to be found under Support. Sure, I can go to Moto's website only to be stuck with which Defy XT do I have" which I did and then come back to the forums and see this thread which tells me the difference between the single band and the dual band and also point me to the User Guide which I could not locate when I searched the forum because it is tagged in a primitive manner. Search for Defy "User Guide" did not point me to this thread.

I am all for "Self/Community" support as it helps to keep the costs lower but the basics (User Guides, FAQs, common use case scenarios and such) should be something the Carrier/provider should provide for, when someone clicks on "Support". I like the simplicity of http://www.silicondust.com/which sells consumer grade product and support comes from vendor rep and the community but their support section is fairly self sufficient and based on forum content, the FAQ is updated on a regular basis. The "region specific" issues originally addressed in forum are now part of FAQ.

My personal experience has been very very good so far overall. I really wish the very best for RW to succeed. RW model is a great example for "capitalism that works"

My 2c.