22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 1:53 PM by wvfisher RSS

State of the republic (v. 1, issue 8)

sarahd republicEmployee

We just posted the weekly State of the republic. As always, feel free to leave your comments and questions here.

• Re: State of the republic (v. 1, issue 8)
    doc_cici 2 Bar

Super news! Looking forward to the dual-band. 

(first)

pacman 2 Bar

We can't share the date that the dual-band will be available just yet, but we're preparing for entry into the lab. As we have more info, we'll let you know.

Thanks for the news!

Would anybody be able to enlighten me on the entire process that the double band would need to go through from here?  Further, what steps have already been completed?  I would just like to learn.  This suggests to me that we are a month away.  From the next defy, which is super exciting!!!! 

What do we think the wave order will be for the new defy?  Open A, B, and F all at the same time?  Then move onto C and G after that?  I continue to be ultra optimistic and hope I will be buying myself a Christmas present from wave G. 

shc 3 Bar

pacman wrote:

What do we think the wave order will be for the new defy?  Open A, B, and F all at the same time?  Then move onto C and G after that?  I continue to be ultra optimistic and hope I will be buying myself a Christmas present from wave G.

In my humble opinion, there are a lot more people waiting for dual-band DEFY XT 556 than people willing to buy single-band DEFY XT 557 before dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available.  Therefore, by the time dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available, it is likely people will have to go through wave by wave again and at much slower pace, may be something like originally planned -- only one wave open every two weeks.

As a result, I do not think you will be able to buy yourself a Christmas gift from wave G.

jayg 2 Bar

Finally got a reply from RW about the cost of the dual band...

"At this time we have not released the pricing for the dual band phone."

Kinda leaves the door wide open.

1 Bar

Can someone please provide information on HOW the dual-band DEFYs will roll out? Meaning if we're currently in Wave N, will we have to wait all the the way back through to be eligible to purchase the dual-band?  If that's the case, approximately how long will it take to roll through the waves, or will Republic have enough stock to release them all at once?  Thanks for any help!

g 3 Bar

Ok the current issue of the State of the Republic stated that:

"We can't share the date that the dual-band will be available just yet, but we're preparing for entry into the lab. As we have more info, we'll let you know."

Now looking back at the earlier issues we can see that on May 30, 2012 they stated that the new phone was entering the lab for testing. By the July 13, 2012 issue they stated it cleared the lab testing.

So I am guessing that since the initial testing took about a month & a half, this one may take a little less time, as all it seems they were doing was adding the 2nd antenna. So I would imagine we would have the dual band available no later then mid-December, just like they stated earlier when they mentioned by the end of the year. This would also coincide with the news reported that they hoped to make RW available to the general public by the holiday shopping season.

Maybe by this time frame anyone that wants the dual band will be able to purchase it!

2 Bar

There is a difference between "preparing for entry" and "entering the lab".  Maybe testing will take a month and maybe it will be several days before preparing turns into entry.  Net result, still probably 6 weeks away, and add the Thanksgiving holiday into the calculations.  Same for a Christmas/New Years impact on the release sales of the dual band.

josho.q7fy5s 2 Bar

Could you please start being a bit more forthcoming with information?  Some of us have been waiting for your product for a very long time now, and it seems like every time we start to get somewhere, you make us wait even longer just dangling the carrot out in front of us.

When are the dual-band phones coming out?  Okay, so you don't want to commit to a set date yet.  Fine.  Time frame?  Are we waiting another year for this?

What will the dual-band phone cost?  Okay, so you don't want to commit to a price.  Fine.  Ballpark?  Will be able to buy one for less than the cost of an iPhone?

Come on, Republic.  Throw us a bone.  Stop playing all the shadow games.  Give us something.

joeessick 1 Bar

I agree with josho.q7fy5s.  We have been waiting for a long time, only to find out that RW made a fairly significant mistake in releasing a single band phone when the dual band was available.  That's OK.  People make mistakes and I understand this is a beta product.  But my phones on our current VW plan are old and my wife is all over me about hers.  Please give us some information so we can make some decisions.  I need help.

shc 3 Bar

josho.q7fy5s wrote:

Could you please start being a bit more forthcoming with information?  Some of us have been waiting for your product for a very long time now, and it seems like every time we start to get somewhere, you make us wait even longer just dangling the carrot out in front of us.

More information is virtually impossible due to too many unforeseeable thing have happened and will continue to happen, for example, DEFY XT may have micro-usb port falls out issue.

josho.q7fy5s wrote:

When are the dual-band phones coming out?  Okay, so you don't want to commit to a set date yet.  Fine.  Time frame?  Are we waiting another year for this?

While I do not think it will take another year, I believe best-case scenario will be by the end of this year as republic wireless hopes.  Furthermore, there are a lot more people waiting for dual-band DEFY XT 556 than people willing to buy single-band DEFY XT 557 before dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available.  Therefore, by the time dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available, it is likely people will have to go through wave by wave again and at much slower pace, may be something like originally planned -- only one wave open every two weeks.

josho.q7fy5s wrote:

What will the dual-band phone cost?  Okay, so you don't want to commit to a price.  Fine.  Ballpark?  Will be able to buy one for less than the cost of an iPhone?

It is expected that dual-band DEFY XT 556 will have same price as republic wireless always want to offer dual-band DEFY XT 556.  Getting single-band DEFY XT 557 simply was overlooked.

2 Bar

"While I do not think it will take another year, I believe best-case scenario will be by the end of this year as republic wireless hopes.  Furthermore, there are a lot more people waiting for dual-band DEFY XT 556 than people willing to buy single-band DEFY XT 557 before dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available.  Therefore, by the time dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available, it is likely people have to go through wave by wave again and at much slower pace, may be something like originally planned -- only one wave open each two weeks."

I am in agreement with shc.  I expressed a similar concern several weeks ago.  However, and I am stating this for republic's benefit, if the wave release cycle for the dual band Defy meets shc's pace of 1 per two weeks, then Republic will be in very serious trouble as this schedule will take until September 2013 to complete for the current waves.  How many will wait 18 months from signup to delivery for a beta test?  Moreover, such an extended delivery schedule will raise serious questions regarding republic's viability to offer the service to the general public.  They need to complete the distribution of the new Defys by the end of March or February preferred, plan the termination of the Beta test and begin committing to becoming a professional organization that can meet its new customers' expectations in days not months. 

billmeek Ambassador

shc wrote:

Furthermore, there are a lot more people waiting for dual-band DEFY XT 556 than people willing to buy single-band DEFY XT 557 before dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available.  Therefore, by the time dual-band DEFY XT 556 become available, it is likely people will have to go through wave by wave again and at much slower pace, may be something like originally planned -- only one wave open every two weeks.

While I have no evidence to support it, I have to disagree that Republic Wireless is going to use the wave model when shipping out the dual-band Defy XT 556. As time has gone on, Republic Wireless has increased the speed at which they been rolling out phones. There have been some "glitches" that caused them to suspend the waves. But given that they have stated they want to be GA (general availability) in time for the holiday shopping season, this indicates to me a need to test their ordering and distribution capabilities.

Something to remember, the Optimus S was hand programmed and shipped from the Cary Republic Wireless office which required a lot of time.  New orders for the Defy 557 shipped from LetsTalk.  The Optimus S upgrades (being another special situation) shipped from the Republic Wireless office.  Since the 557 will be new orders, I expect them to ship from another 3rd party again that is setup to fulfill them in a timely fashion.

Once the Defy XT 556 is available, I expect they will begin notifying all those on the waiting list as quickly as possible. You have to remember though that even when they were doing waves, emails may take a while to process since mass mailings can cause emails to be flagged as spam. I would expect that it would take several days or even possibly a couple of weeks for the Defy XT 556 invitations to roll out.

wpg4665 2 Bar

Whatever happened to the OTA? That was mentioned to be coming out in the last State of the Republic!

sammy 2 Bar

Sarah,

My question is as a current member of the Republic with a single band DEFY XT, what do I need to do to change to the dual-band version of the DEFY XT when it comes available?  As always, thank you for your help!

seamus 2 Bar

I didn't want to wait but instead of getting two phones, I only purchased 1 (Wave H).  What I would like to know, will those who only purchased 1 have an option to purchase a second dual band phone when they become available?  I got the first one knowing there would be issues as I live in the Appalachian Mountains and Sprint has a reputation for spotty service in this area except along the major roads.  Fortunately most of my time on the phone is at work or home so I am on WiFi.