51 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 11:55 AM by ericwashere RSS

Will republic wireless roam in canada

prostem 2 Bar

I understand there is a standard answer available which says "while on wifi..you can call any usa or canada number". But can this phone roam on cellular networks in canada? Has anyone who had used it near or across the border?

• Re: Will republic wireless roam in canada
    echosummet 3 Bar

I dont believe you will be able to roam in Canada

How much does domestic roaming cost? International?

Can I use your service internationally?

EDIT:

Calling Canada is not considered International and thus you are able to roam while there

Do you offer cheap calling to international numbers?

greatwent 2 Bar

I would like to know this as well.  I am traveling to Canada for a week during the holidays, and would like to know if my RW phones will work while roaming.  I assume that wifi calling shouldn't be a problem.

g 3 Bar

I can only add that when in Ireland I never got the green arc, but was able to connect to wifi, surf the net, make outgoing calls & check VM. However I could not get incoming calls. Plus RW is issuing an OTA update next month that is supposed to make incoming calls happen on wifi.

mwgardiner Ambassador

While I was in Canada, I had similar behavior, except that I use GV for voice mail and the messages would download to my phone, saving me the trouble of intermittently calling to check for messages.

My present plans will have me out in Canada 3 times next year, but the first test opportunity will be in July.

prostem 2 Bar

Please do share your RW experience in canada after you get back. I guess for now, you probably will only be able to make calls on wifi and after the OTA you will be able to receive the calls as well internationally.

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi prostem,

You may find this discussion to have the information you need, particularly the answer by Seanr:

I'm in Canada now ,  everything is working..    but ?

Of course, Canada is a big place, so your results may vary.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, Optimus owner, not a republic wireless employee

mattinée 2 Bar

I was in Canada yesterday (near the Detroit border), I got the blue triangle of roam. I still recieved emails and notifications but took care not to make any calls or texts myself in the event that this was discouraged. I tried connecting to a nearby open wifi signal (I assume a neighbor) with good signal stregth. It would connect, but said I couldn't make wifi calls off of it (no green arc).  Now I wish I would have made a call to see if it would have worked.

echosummet 3 Bar

mattinée wrote:

I was in Canada yesterday (near the Detroit border), I got the blue triangle of roam. I still recieved emails and notifications but took care not to make any calls or texts myself in the event that this was discouraged.

I have since discovered that roaming in Canada is allowed.

Do you offer cheap calling to international numbers?

While it is good to be frugal with all traffic over cell, it is not necessarily discouraged.

mwgardiner Ambassador

That document says that you can call Canada at no charge as it is not treated as international, actually being in Canada is a different thing, and may be non-functional or subject to additional charges.

andreas Ambassador

It will either work or it won't, but there won't be additional charges, no? There is no fee structure beyond the $19/month, right?

echosummet 3 Bar

I believe you are correct here. If there are roaming agreements in Canada then you will be fine no?

mwgardiner Ambassador

It looks like we need someone from RW to step in with a definitive statement on the matter.  Being able to call Canada at no additional charge is not connected to being able to roam in Canada without incurring some sort of charge.  The incentives in billing favor carriers allowing things that can allow them to bill customers more, so it might not be possible from a Sprint policy perspective to prevent phones from operating outside the US.  Unless the network communication is really screwed up, it should only require seconds for a foreign carrier to query a phone number and get back "service authorized" or "service not authorized". Apart from screwing the customer, there can be no reason for this sort of system not to be in use.

Frankly, I'd love to find out that roaming in Canada is included, it would make life much easier on my trips there.  Based on comments on the old forums, however, plus carefully parsing the wording of the above-references documents, I think the case is that roaming in Canada is not included in the base cost.

southpawkb Ambassador

I posted this a few posts up. Someone from RW has stepped in and replied here: Re: I'm in Canada now , everything is working.. but ?

I'll paste it this time, since no one seems to want to click the link:

I'm in Canada now,  and was very surprised that cellular was working..  BUT !   Am I screwing myself and coming home to some huge bill ?

And where I am staying, I have wi fi,   and its working for both in and out calls as well.

I'm hunting deep in the bush, but surprising I do have cellular at times..

So ,    no huge bill when I get back from sprint right?  or what do I need to do to prevent that?

Thanks...

seanr  republicEmployee

It is best to be on Wi-Fi when available, but if you get cellular coverage, we do not charge for roaming at this time. I am glad everything is working for you.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

mwgardiner Ambassador

Ah, I missed that, thanks. This forum system needs rather a bit of work, I've found that if I'm too busy to get in for a few days, I sometimes miss recent posts because the system pushes comments "off the top" and if I forget to hit "Show Earlier" I'll not be aware of those posts.

southpawkb Ambassador

Missing a few days does make keeping up nearly impossible! Sorry if I sounded annoyed. I was trying to avoid getting flagged for re-posting by stating my reason for doing so.

~~~~~             

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

mwgardiner Ambassador

I do find it interesting that they are allowing roaming in Canada.  I wonder if they are trying to get usage statistics to see what useful options would be on Canadian roaming.  I know it would be useful to me for the two or three times I'm there in a year.  If they can get enough information to make useful projections, they might be thinking of buying blocks of Canadian roaming time for customer use, provided it doesn't get out of hand.

greatwent 2 Bar

I am in Canada right now, as I type this, and have been for a week.  I can report first hand here...

As soon as the plane landed in Toronto, I turned on my phone and was sent this automated text message:

"In Canada to dial US 1-area code-number. Txt sent:$0.20, recvd:$0.20 Calls:$0.59/min, Data:$0.002/KB unless on plan.

Intl rates will vary by plan. For questions on plans or if experiencing service issues call Sprint Care 1-817-698-4199"

I was a little concerned but I had read Seanr's post about being able to roam in Canada, so I continued.

I immediately noticed a BLUE TRIANGLE beside the cell signal strength (where the 3G) symbol usually is.  I had to look up to see what that meant, and discovered that it meant 'roaming', and the cell signal strength was more than half.

I have Google Voice set up on my DEFY XT Dual band to make all calls.

As soon as I got to my destination just west outside of Toronto (Oakville) I was able to connect to a Private WiFi network no problem.

CALLS:

Making (RW issued phone number) calls on WiFi is not an issue to any number in Canada or in the USA.

Receiving (RW issued phone number) calls on WiFi is not an issue from any number in Canada or the USA.

Making (RW issued phone number) calls on cellular "BLUE TRIANGLE" roaming is not an issue to any number in Canada or in the USA.

Receiving (RW issued phone number) calls on cellular "BLUE TRIANGLE" roaming is not an issue from any number in Canada or in the USA.

Making (Google) calls on WiFi is not normally an issue to any number in Canada or in the USA.

(I had a few experiences with a Google message popping up saying that "Google can't complete the call with Google voice - do i want to re-try using Google Voice or the original phone number" (which I guess would be the native RW/Sprint number) I think this may have been caused by the routers to which I was connected to.  Private WiFi networks never had an issues, but some of the public networks seem to cause the Google issue.  I have read that Google voice is in the infancy stages of being introduced in Canada, so this may be as a result of the transition)

Receiving (Google) calls on WiFi is not an issue from any number in Canada or the USA.

Making (Google) calls on cellular "BLUE TRIANGLE" roaming is not an issue to any number in Canada or in the USA.

Receiving (Google) calls on cellular "BLUE TRIANGLE" roaming is not an issue from any number in Canada or in the USA.

DATA:

Connected to a Private WiFi network (private with passwords) I had no issues with uploading/downloading data.

Connected to a Public WiFi network (Starbucks, airport, mall) I had no issues with uploading/downloading data.

Cellular "BLUE TRIANGLE" roaming I could NOT upload/download data.

TEXT MESSAGING:

Haven't had time to play with this yet, as the holidays and spending time with family are consuming a lot of my free time.

But I can say that I have both successfully sent and received text messages on the phone.  I haven't tried to figure out if I was on Cell or WiFi and whether it was with my Google number or the native RW/Sprint number.  I was using the installed messenger app that came stock with the phone.

I may update the text message portion if I have time in the next few days to play around more before I leave.

davidg.r1vss4 2 Bar

I've been in Vancouve (50 miles north of the US Border) and cell calls and wifi are working fine with the dual band.  I also got the msge about text and voice roaming rates.  I'm very happy there is cell phone coverage as thats why I stayed with Verizon so long as I spend weeks in Canada over the summer.  I'm hoping this continues but to answer the main question yes I was able to receive and make cell phone calls over cellular with my new phone.

g 3 Bar

I would hope that all users would post their experiences in using RW when they travel. Forum members & visitors to these discussion can gain insightful info.

Please keep us updated!

t 2 Bar

Ok my experience I was in quebec last night, I got that same message about roaming rates, (it is my understanding from the above replys) that we pay 19 bucks a month plus tax regardless of any text messages stating otherwise from sprint.

I got the phone to be a part of the beta program, I intend to use wifi as much as possible and only use cell when absolutely necessary.

So I turned the phone into airplane safe mode, had a strong wifi connection at the hotel,  did some googling even though there was no green arch, so i thought that i  would not be able to make a call because no green arch.  I tried to make a call and much to my surprise it worked perfectly fine. (even though no green arch).  Concerned that perhaps I was somehow on roaming I ended the call.

outside of topic, i find that if the wifi connection is only fair, well then people cant hear me on the other end of the line, i can google, i can hear them fine, but for me the internet connection must be good or better to actually have a phone call over the wifi.

ericwashere 2 Bar

I am in canada (quebec) now and have a blue triangle got a text stating the rate charges for txt and calls etc.  So I guess i can ignore that.?  I will try and make calls on wifi if I can but mostly it will be cell.  I will post additional info later about the experience.

BTW, logged in here through the phones browser and was not able to reply to this thread from my phone.  I could not get the keyboard to come up and type on here.  So had to use my computer.

EDIT:

looks like i cannot make cell calls in canada.  looks like i need wifi unless i am doing something wrong. 

ericwashere 2 Bar

I did not notice the first post...looks like no cell service to make calls.  I need to use wifi to make calls.  Unless someone knows something and it should work.

rajivb Ambassador

We have been able to make calls from Tim Horton's with a very good voice quality. We can receive calls but not make them over the cell network.

I just checked the phone log. It says that the call went over the cell network, when it definitely went over the WiFi network. If it really did go over the cell network, that would be a first!

ovsf 2 Bar

I am having the same experience so far when driving into Canada.  I am roaming voice and SMS on cell towers when needed. But data over cellular does not work.  I have not yet received my first bill so cannot comment on how much it will cost.

andreas Ambassador

The monthly charge will not be more than whatever it normally is; roaming is included.

rajivb Ambassador

Do you have the WiFi+ app installed on your phone? That may help you to make calls over cellular. A Wi-Fi data connection will allow the calls to be made over the cellular network much easier. See Why WiFi+ may be a critical application to make cellular roaming work

The devicescape part of the app will automatically connect to open WiFi connections without your having to do so manually. This should make making calls over the Cell network more consistent. Incoming calls as you may have noticed are not an issue.

ovsf 2 Bar

I'm unclear about how the WiFi+ app would affect connections with cell towers.  It seems this app is good for sniffing out available wifi carriers in an aggressive manner (not a bad thing to have with this service) but what does it do when connecting to the  CELL network?

rajivb Ambassador

In order to make a cellular connection reliably, Republic needs to have a data connection to its servers. Otherwise latency and signal degradation of the dtmf signal causes cellular calls not to complete. In Canada, however, the Sprint agreement with its roaming partners does not seem to cover data 2G or 3G. If however, a WiFi data connection is available, the cellular call will complete properly. The voice signal does not have to go across the local WiFi. However, the initial data about the phone call does.

The WiFi+ app, relying upon the DeviceScape database allows the phone to connect to any available WiFi signal to allow that initial data interchange, which then allows Republic to connect both phones together using VOIP and the cellular. Without the WiFi+ app, you would have to connect to the WiFi signal manually - which is a chore when you are just trying to make a phone call.

rajivb Ambassador

Here is the latest skinny on calling when roaming in Canada.

1) all incoming calls come in over WiFi or cellular

2) all incoming and outgoing texts over WiFi or cellular

3) Outgoing calls on WiFi

4) Outgoing calls to US and Canadian numbers over cellular (with the latest PRL - 40455)

5) Outgoing calls initiated over WiFi being called back on cellular when out of range of WiFi (I am fairly sure that this has happened)

6) I have not yet been able to test the situation when a WiFi data only connection is there.

Effects of updating to PRL 40455 (added on 5/23)

rajivb Ambassador

Full roaming in Canada is now operative with PRL 40455

clarkp 2 Bar

On a recent trip to Alberta and BC I experienced the following with my dual band Defy (PRL 40455 at time of trip - now 40457):

-Wi-fi worked as in US.

-Phone and text roaming via Cellular worked fine on the RW issued number: incoming and outgoing

-Unable to use data over cellular

-Without data, I was unable to use my Google Voice number to send/receive texts or make/receive calls over cellular.  I have my main number on GV so this wasn't good.  Calls and texts to the GV number never made it to the phone.  Outgoing calls using GV failed.  Outgoing texts failed.

The workaround (except for mobile data) was just to give out my RW number for use when I was in Canada.

If GV had worked in Canada over cellular, I would have been stoked.  But for no additional costs... I was still quite happy with the communication I was able to have.

rajivb Ambassador

Yes - unfortunately, the Sprint agreements with Bell Mobility do not appear to cover 3G or LTE data (at least as far as the PRL released to Republic users) - hopefully this changes as Sprint rolls out LTE.

mwgardiner Ambassador

You caught my attention with not being able to receive GV calls via cellular.  Are you certain of this?  GV should just be forwarding calls to the RW number, and they should carry through as direct calls did.

I will be in Canada in a few weeks, I will see what behavior I get from the Defy.

clarkp 2 Bar

mwgardiner,

You are correct.  After looking at my call log, I did get incoming GV calls.  Just no outgoing GV calls, or incoming or outgoing GV texts.

Do you use GV as your primary number?  Let us know how it works when you are in Canada.

Cheers!

mwgardiner Ambassador

I use GV as a secondary number at the moment.  I give it to people/organizations that I may want to handle differently in the future.  Mind you, I'm not sure if I can actually do anything different at this point, but we'll see.

My primary use of GV is as a voice mail system.  I know this works when I have WiFi access from last year when my Optimus would alert me to messages left.  This should be an interesting test.

ericwashere 2 Bar

This is my experience so far in Canada (quebec city and montreal).  I was able to receive calls over cellular in both areas.  I was NOT able to make cell calls in Quebec city.  I WAS able to make cell calls in montreal to numbers in canada specifically calling Quebec city. WiFi calls were not a problem in either case  can make and receive calls over wifi.  Data did not work over cell in either city.  I did have the WiFi+ app installed.

rajivb Ambassador

The DeviceScape Database is probably much more populated for Montreal, than for Quebec City. However, If I were you, I would help DeviceScape populate QC as well. At every restaurant, check to see whether there is an open internet connection. Connect to it, and see whether data is accessible. If it is, then voila you can make calls on cell.