6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2013 10:03 PM by dwightb RSS

Short code messages

quietstorm 2 Bar

Why is it that I can't receive short code messages? For example, I texted "help" to 73981 which is for Bank of America. I do not receive any replies from my republic wireless phone. But, I used another phone from AT&T and I do get a response. So it does not appear that my phone can accept short code messages. Is there anything that can be done about this?

• Re: Short code messages
    southpawkb Ambassador

Republic wireless does not support short codes. There is no way for you to send an interactive text to a short code number.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

pacman 2 Bar

Is there any work around for this type of thing?  Google voice too does not allow Short codes . Thanks

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi pacman,

The only way to receive them is to have them sent to your underlying Sprint number. You can not send to them, which means you cannot interact with them. Receipt of short code messages will always be via Cell, never Wi-Fi. Your underlying Sprint number is subject to change on republic wireless' whim without any notification. This means if you are having your banking alerts sent to you, they could suddenly be sent to someone else, instead; so use the workaround with caution.

To find your underlying Sprint number, view this post: Re: How do I look up the phone number that came with the phone?

~~~~~

pacman 2 Bar

Oddly I just received a Short message code with the number that I had ported to Republic Wireless.  Is this a new feature?

The Text says "Moes-Pre-Spring Break Special- Tomorrow Thursday 3-14-13.  Any Burito $5 all day! Spread the word!. Reply STOP to quit"  it is definatly a short message code with a six digit number.  I put my number in on my old verizon phone so that I would be sent coupons, and this is the first time I have received anything from them on RW.  Each time you go you recieve a short msg code text adding a loyalty point or the like.  So I am not sure when this started or how, but I like it! 

southpawkb Ambassador

Hi pacman,

Sean mentioned that some companies are able to get short codes through:

Re: Short Codes

I'm glad you're getting them, but now the problem is that you can't reply, so if you get tired of burritos, you're still stuck getting the texts.

~~~~~

dwightb 1 Bar

9/26/13

I just updated my google voice app.  It now supports "short codes", but not 911 short code.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice