9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:19 PM by carlh RSS

SMS-to-Email Gateway

davesin 1 Bar

What is the SMS-To-Email Gateway or Email-to-SMS Gateway for Republic Wireless?  Currently I'm using the Sprint Hidden number and entering the info in the format:

1XXXxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com  (where 1XXXxxxxxxx = Hidden Sprint Number)

I would prefer not to use the hidden number approach and use my assigned Republic Wireless number.  Why is this such a big secret and not made public for Republic customers?  I need to have SMS sent from by Alarm Module (EnvisaLink 3) to my Republic phone and Republic Wireless is not one of the available providers from the drop down link.  I can enter the information on the site as

1XXXxxxxxxx@something.provider.com

• Re: SMS-to-Email Gateway
    carlh 5 Bar

There is no gateway at this time, and no announcement has been made of when such a gateway might be available.  For the time being, the Sprint number is the only workaround when texts must be received via E-mail.

mchasal Ambassador

You should be aware that Republic has stated that the hidden Sprint number can be changed at any time. So be careful about what get's sent to the that address as it might start going to someone else without warning.

carlh 5 Bar

In practice up to this point, nobody's hidden Sprint number has changed unless they requested it.  It survives swapping the phone for a replacement and OTA updates.

But you should be careful that it won't be a problem if the texts sent to the Sprint number suddenly start appearing on somebody else's phone.

southpawkb Ambassador

carlh wrote:

In practice up to this point, nobody's hidden Sprint number has changed unless they requested it.

[...]

How on earth would you know that no one's underlying number has changed?

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

carlh 5 Bar

Somebody here remarked weeks ago that Support had told them that the number would not change unless it was requested.  IIRC it was in one of the several dozen discussions about unwanted phone calls on the Sprint number.  Didn't bookmark it.

cbwahlstrom Ambassador

A couple weeks ago, when I asked support about an SMS gateway in the near future, the answer was pretty clear:

"We currently do not have any plans for email to SMS."

wvfisher Ambassador

how about just giving them your email address? since it comes directly to your RW DEFY XT,smartphone,  like what you are asking for.

davesin 1 Bar

The Alarm-related Server that sends out the Text does not accept emails.  I came across this either from this site or from the phone, but it did not work:

1XXXxxxxxxx.Abc7d53E@Abc7d53Emob.phonebooth.com

or

Abc7d53E@Abc7d53Emob.phonebooth.com

Actually, I have stopped using the workaround using the sprint gateway.  I'm now using the free SMS provider, Pinger and that has at least two Free Email-To-SMS gateways available, plus a Web-Related access.