8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 5:37 PM by billg RSS

Error updating PRL

billg 4 Bar

Earlier this week I learned that my PRL 40450 was out of date.  Took a trip today and stopped with 5 bars on a native Sprint tower and tried to update it.  Got an error message telling me to contact my vendor.  Error might have been 5306, not sure and I didn't have a pencil.

Cycled power on the phone and tried again.  This time, and again on the return trip, I got a message telling me no updates were available.  The PRL is still 40450.

On the trip, where I normally roam reliably on Verizon, phone switched from several bars to no bars.  Attempts to call out were unsuccessful.  Several incoming calls relating to a family emergency were unsuccessful.

At my destination I returned calls using WiFi and it was nice being able to do that.

What's with the PRL?  Is mine now corrupt?  If I need 40452 why is it telling me no updates are available?

Sprint tower I was communicating with is located in Detroit Lakes, MN.

• Re: Error updating PRL
    billmeek Ambassador

While in the Sprint service area you may need to enter into the dialpad ##72786#

I'd submit a support ticket first and verify that's what the Republic Wireless techs suggest.

billg 4 Bar

Took billmeeks advice, opened ticket, and ended up having to drive 10 miles to a Sprint tower and do two consecutive resets using ##786# and a code number.  First reset ended with old PRL and phone not provisioned.  Second reset produced an "error 6305, contact vendor" error during the PRL update segment but ended with the latest PRL and the phone provisioned.

Phone seems to be roaming OK now.  Hope I don't have to go through this every time the PRL is updated. I'm getting tired of having to set the phone up over and over again.

billmeek Ambassador

Glad it worked out.

wvfisher Ambassador

sounds like you will probably have to drive to the strong Sprint signal area, to get the OTA PRL updates,  but hope the other issues are resolved.

rajivb Ambassador

OTA updates take place over WiFi. So no need for the presence of a Sprint signal. It is not clear to me why the PRL update could not also be done over WiFi.

wvfisher Ambassador

PRL would come from Sprint, since strictly cell information, but you are right about the OTA, thinking one thing fingers doing something else lol  I editted my response..

billmeek Ambassador

The OTA update comes from Motorola.  The PRL update comes from Sprint.  Carriers prefer to use their existing update method over cellular to (attempt to) maintain control of distribution. 

billg 4 Bar

I ignored the error after checking to see that I had actually received the latest PRL.  This may have been an issue with the tower.  Looking back, I had the old PRL but my phone was roaming my area just fine.  Updated the PRL after you mentioned that it was out of date (in another thread) and that update corrupted my PRL and left me unable to roam at all.  The ticket, the two hardware resets.... all of this was a consequence of simply performing a PRL update.