58 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 3:18 PM by michaelbudukiewicz RSS

You Asked. We Listened. New Pricing Option.

sarahd republicEmployee

We just posted a new blog. You definitely want to check it out. Please let us know what you think here.

• Re: You Asked. We Listened. New Pricing Option.
    gpagpa 2 Bar

Thanks RW for the additional options, getting my calculator out.  What does it "if you are still under warranty" mean?  If I was in wave "E" am I qualified to make the switch to the $29 plan?

creativerachel 3 Bar

If people do the math they will see that over 2 years it is $90 cheeper to go with the more expensive phone up front... I wouldn't want to do that deal. If I can't afford the phone up front then maybe I don't really need one.

prosopopoeia Ambassador

Hi, creativerachel!

I agree with you in principle. I am a fan of paying upfront and limiting monthly ongoing costs. The break-even point between the two plans is 15 months, and then the longer you have the $19/month plan, the more you save.

That being said, getting the phone for $99 is an incredibly attractive deal, and so worth it even if you're paying $29/month on that plan. The money you save up front is extremely helpful for someone who has to budget on a monthly basis, and that extra $10 you're paying each month really ain't no thang. Until month 15, you're coming out ahead with the $99-phone option. And if, let's say, Republic Wireless were to release a snazzy new phone inside of 15 months, profit for you if you want to switch! If RW starts offering dual pricing on their phones going forward, the lower phone with $29/month will definitely encourage people to try out new phones as they become available.

This price point is generous enough that I will buy a phone for my mother. She works in Central Asia during the academic year. She has access to WiFi in her apartment and at her school, and I know she would love to have a easy way to keep in touch with me, my grandma and my aunt while she's there, especially since my aunt cannot be bothered to ever get on Skype, and Grandma (God bless her), gets REALLY UP CLOSE IN FRONT OF THE WEBCAM, until all you can see is her eyeball. LOL. I love her.

2 Bar

however the question is if i chose the $29 a month option and you release a new phone in 6 months will i be able to buy it at a discounted price and stay on the $29 plan?

mchasal Ambassador

Well, I'm not sure, but since there's no contract, I'd have to say yes. Technically, in 6 months you could cancel the account with the Defy and start a new account with the new hotness.

knightofscorpio 3 Bar

Yes, that's what I wanted to know, because that would be GREAT! I'm still holding off on Republic until they get a nicer higher end phone. Like even a Samsung Galaxy S2, that would be great. & if we got a plan like this for $29 per month & I'd pay like $200-$250 upfront for it, I would be COMPLETELY SOLD. Come on Republic pull this together & you got me & a whole lot of other people. I would really like Republic to win. This would be perfect for me being a college student. I mean this fall semester I'm moving into an apartment, and I make most of my calls & home & do most of my data @ home on WiFi or places with WiFi. So this would be great for me, especially considering that my apartment has full WiFi access.

kerryw 1 Bar

I just joined and ordered the phone 2/18/2013 (yesterday) and received the email that it was Fedexed to me today.  I intend to switch to the $99 phone/$29 monthly plan.  That is such a good change that I intend to get a second phone with that plan.  I don't want to get another email account.  Will that be necessary, or is there another option for a user name?

ravi 2 Bar

It is good to know that republic wireless is giving more options for people to buy phone/plans. But before republic does this, I think you should make sure the wifi-celluar calling is foolproof. Republic should make the wifi to celluar handoff or vice versa as first priority and then focus on this new program. This way people will trust it completely and buy whatever plan they like. This is just my opinion. Also, I would say that it should mention on the main page that currently MMS is not included.

battierpeeler 3 Bar

what do software people have to do with marketing people? they do different things and can easily be working on both. i haven't even seen them say they are working on a 'hand-off feature' like UMA phones.

agree with MMS statement. needs to be mentioned upfront or finally attended to.

carlh 5 Bar

The break-even point on the two plans is 15 months.  If you expect to change phones in 15 months or less, better to take the new plan.   I'd certainly take the newer plan if I was starting now, as it seems there has to be a much better phone available within a year.

shc 3 Bar

carlh wrote:

The break-even point on the two plans is 15 months.  If you expect to change phones in 15 months or less, better to take the new plan.   I'd certainly take the newer plan if I was starting now, as it seems there has to be a much better phone available within a year.

Another phone available within a year, yes, but may be not a much better phone due to up front cost or much higher monthly fee.  I think republic wireless has been and will likely to continue to pursue the value conscious consumer.  As a result, a cheaper phone is more likely than a more expansive phone within a year.

battierpeeler 3 Bar

ya chances are a lot higher that i'd want to switch sooner than later. this can be abused later on with better phones and no contracts unless this is specific to the defy only.

technologies change and this service went from offering optimus to defy. if the next phone follows that kind of technological advancement (or even 20%) it would be a pretty nice phone. plus i assume the new phone will have android 4.0 if their software works on it. oh well we are still getting a good deal.

jbones 3 Bar

Republic says it plans to roll out several better phones running current versions of Android and much faster networks, including the best—4G LTE—starting in late summer.

This statement was taken out of the WSJ article referenced in another post.

garethl 2 Bar

I know that my wife would be much more willing to switch to RW if there was a phone w/ a bigger screen. But if I knew exactly what phones would be available late summer or whenever then that would make the decision much easier if I knew there was a phone I would prefer coming out in half a year. Although who knows how much those phones that come out will cost? And if you get one of those phones will it be $30/month or $20/month? I'm a new user, how does it work when a new phone becomes available? Is the price for current users the same as the price for new users (looks like Wave A users got a $100 discount on the $250 defy...is that what we can expect in the future)? Basically I have to gamble on whether I will want to get whatever phone(s) come out in late summer (assuming that happens) or stick with this phone. If the newer phones will be in the 200+ range to get the 20/month deal, then i'll probably just stick with the 250+20/month. I guess I just have to make sure i wait 15 months to buy another to make sure i didn't make the wrong decision!

southpawkb Ambassador

garethl wrote:

[...] I'm a new user, how does it work when a new phone becomes available? Is the price for current users the same as the price for new users (looks like Wave A users got a $100 discount on the $250 defy...is that what we can expect in the future)? [...]

Do not expect a discount for current customers. That was a special offer because the Wave A customers bought phones that were being replaced a mere 7 months after purchase. Any new phones added to the republic wireless collection should just be additions, not required replacements.

~~~~~

SouthpawKB, customer since 2011, not a republic wireless employee

c1tobor Ambassador

Sounds like you got it, garethl......I'm in the same boat except the other way around.  My "boy" has one and I'm "getting" one real soon now.  RW is a "Beta" program.  They have always treated the Beta players fairly (in my opinon).  There are no gaurantee's what the next 15 mos. will bring.

The reason I am thinking of it, is because I just missed a "couple" of cut-off dates here and there.

The math seems reasonable, does it work for her is probably a better question.  

annie 3 Bar

I've talked to people who say they'll consider the service when the price of the phone drops.  They actually prefer to pay more per month and less up front.  I'll be contacting them tomorrow to tell them that the price has now dropped!

I'm not at all unhappy that I paid more up front.  I'm basically happy with the phone and very happy with the service so I will probably keep it for some time.  At some point I may upgrade to a better phone if Republic offers one with a larger screen and better volume.

I wonder if at some point returned phones will be offered reconditioned at a lower price for the $19/month plan.  I bought several reconditioned phones that looked just like new when I was with Net10.  Of course their service was nothing for the price when compared to Rebublic's service.

munster 3 Bar

Does the new pricing options also apply to those of us Wave A'ers who have not upgraded at this time?

Would the current $150 Defy upgrade / $19 month plan now have a $0 Defy upgrade / $29 month option?

machee 2 Bar

I hate to basically be saying "me too!" or "+1", but I'd really like to know the answer to this.  I'd definitely jump on a $0 upgrade/$29 per month for the dual band to get away from my Optimus (on which the screen no longer displays anything).  And then I'd probably also sign my wife up for $99 phone/$29 per month.

c1tobor Ambassador

I'm a bit confused about an existing user switching to the $29 plan.  Would RW just credit the account?  ( $250 already paid minus the $99).

The only reason I would consider it is to switch my boy's phone to the Dual-Band, then order my second line @ the "original" price.

whyfye? 2 Bar

I can see how this would be a welcome option for some. However, to be fair, shouldn't the monthly cost drop to $19 once the cost of the phone is recovered (+ interest)? Obviously this isn't really a subsidy, but you'd still be doing the same horrible thing that the big cell providers do with their subsidized phones: they don't lower the cost of your plan once your contract is up. I realize the life cycle of the typical smartphone is shorter than the time to break-even, but some people don't like change and want to keep a phone for more than 2 years if it works well. I don't fall into that category by the way.

cbwahlstrom Ambassador

They still have to protect themselves from the users who will buy this for $99, have service for two months, then cancel or quit paying.  So if you want the subsidized cost, you pay a little more in the end, and it helps recoup the cost from those who left RW hanging.

whyfye? 2 Bar

Wait a second, that sounds a lot like some recent healthcare legislation . I see what you are saying, but it still doesn't make sense that somebody would be penalized because somebody else took a "subsizided" phone and ran. Even if a user left after 1 month, they're not losing much on the phone, especially as their buying power increases.

larryp329 2 Bar

is it possible to upgrade my single band delfy to duel band with new plan  and $ 99.00 dollar phone?

bioguru 3 Bar

This is an AWESOME idea!  Thanks RW for the options!

larryp329 2 Bar

ok if I open a new account with different e-mail order the duel band phone under the new plan. will it be possible to port my mumber from my exisiting account to my new account.

carlh 5 Bar

You can't directly port a number from one republic phone to another at this time.   You would have to port it out to some other provider, and then port it back in to the new phone.   If you have (or can get) a used GSM phone you could use a Tmobile prepaid plan for this purpose ($1 SIM card with free activation).  This is what mchasal meant by "acrobatics".

happywillow0 Ambassador

Hey! I'm actually wondering how these two types of plans going to come into play once we move out of beta and have other features such as reactivation and more phones?

(To keep this subtopic organized, if you could, please reply to: The future: Plan tiers and phone reactivation)

Oh, and thank you for this great new option! It seems actually great for my family and friends who are hesitant to pay more out front or for those who are still evaluating different cell phone service options.

1 Bar

I just bought the Motorola phone last week for $250! How can I get the difference back now that they're only $99??

jadeds 1 Bar

Sounds like a great idea for my son who is 12. This makes it a lot cheaper if he happens to break his phone say 6 months from now. I could just cancel that phone and buy a new one and save a lot of money over paying the full $249 for the phone to begin with!

jwallpe 1 Bar

I'm in wave "A" and have yet to upgrade from the LG. Will the phone be free if I upgrade and go to the $29 plan? (Due to the $100 off)

greatwent 2 Bar

IF and WHEN RW comes out with a newer, more current phone, would it not be decent and very generous of RW to offer a pro-rated credit amount towards that newer phone based on how long we've owned the DEFY and the price we've paid for it ($249).

mchasal Ambassador

It certainly would be generous, but it's not something I would expect or feel that they owe us.

billmeek Ambassador

It would be "decent and very generous" for Republic Wireless to give all of us users a new phone and free service, but that doesn't mean it would be a good business decision.

knightofscorpio 3 Bar

No, I don't think so. Why? You chose to buy the phone. I'm reading little comments in the community and some of you all ask for too much. Some are upset that Republic made the $29 plan, and it's like if you don't want it, don't take it. It's an opinion, not mandatory. $29 is still a save for a lot of people. Me & my grandma monthly bill is $130 every month, & that's with the same kind of deal that you pay for your phone on the monthly bill. So this is a huge savings still to most people opposing contract plans. I remember the last time people wanted to be 1st in line for trying beta for the newest smartphone they were releasing (which was the Motorola Defy XT), wanting newer customers to wait behind them. Then people asked for credit for the Optimus, and I think Republic gave a $100 credit. Geesh, people ask for a lot. I think asking for a credit is completely absurd personally.

1 Bar

So. Rumors are saying to expect a new phone in about 6 months...
    Here was my thought process with weighing the three options available to me. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, but otherwise feel free to appreciate my mental walk-through and use it for your own deciding benefit.
    (Again this thought process was tailored to myself. Your situation may differ.)

Option 1: Wait six months.
    -Continue paying my current plan of $32/mo [1500 mins /1500 txts/ 0 data] with Virgin Mobile.
    -(The $15 "dumb" phone I have is already a sunk cost.)

-Pros: I spend $200 in 6 months.  (That factors in taxes)
    -Cons: A piece of me will dearly pine for a smart phone for the entire 6 months.

Option 2: Get the $250/$20 plan.

-Pro: I get that hole filled in my heart for a new smart phone. (It's really a big deal. I want a smart phone now, dang it!)

-Cons: I spend $400 in 6 months. (That factors in $5/mo for taxes)

Option 3: Get the $100/$30 plan.

-Pro: I get a smart phone finally.

-Cons: I spend $310 in 6 months. (That factors in $5/mo for taxes)

Option 1Option 2Option 3
    $192$400$310

Right now Option 3 is ACTUALLY the winner. Because I'd pay an extra $118 to get away from this dumb flip-phone that I currently have...
    BUT I forgot to mention adding the price of the hypothetical new phone!

In the event that the new phone has Jelly Bean (or, better yet,  Key Lime Pie! ...Ha, ha. Just kidding. I'm not crazy enough to be expecting THAT. But,) then I would DEFINITELY want to shell out the full up-front cost for the phone in order to take advantage of the cheaper service since I'll most likely keep Jelly Bean around for the long run... aka over 15 months.

So, assuming the new phone is $260 then the prices look like:

Option 1Option 2Option 3
    $452$660*$570*

*Plus the added thought that I just bought an expensive phone to use for only six months and then toss it.

Conclusion: So now I'm back to being stuck with my dumb flip-phone for the next six months... And the next phone from RW had BETTER have Jelly Bean!!! Or else I'm just gonna rage-quit on this company... >.<

Other Thoughts: As much as I'd like to help RW, I don't see how any of my info can help RW employees... it only seems to aid their prospective customers to hold out a bit longer (as for current customers: that's your own ball-game). Unless their marketing guys are savvy enough to whip up some promotional incentives that would tip the scales in their favor. An improbable example being: "Those who own the XT get a $100 credit to your next RW Upgrade to Jelly Bean!"

Otherwise, I don't feel the draw to buying a Gingerbread phone at $250 knowing I'll just replace it with a Jelly Bean phone in six months for another $250. That's $500 to RW in a single year (that's just the phones alone! No service!)... kudos to them, but that's not a smart economic choice for me when I compare it to the $400 a year I pay to Virgin Mobile.

As much as it pains me to be without a smart phone for six months... I'ma gonna hold out for the Jelly Bean.

#jelly_bean_or_bust

1 Bar

Saintluticriss,

I walked along side you on your mental walk-through, but all 3 of your options assume that in 6 months the Jelly Bean (or better yet Key Lime Pie) phone will still have a $19.00 a month option going forward and that the 6 month old Defy XT will cease to be useable, right?  What if the Key Lime Phone is $449.00 with a 49.00 a month service?

While there are no promises, I like the $19.00 rate now - and going forward on further down the path.

Too many people worry about the price of the house rather than what the real costs of a variable interest rate going forward might be - I think that logic applies here. Just my opinion.

andreas Ambassador

There are absolutely no indications that Republic will raise their rate any time soon (it may even be more likely that they will lower it). I really don't see that changing for the foreseeable future. (Of course it's "possible," but it is not likely.)

garethl 2 Bar

$50/month! Man that'd be a good way to clean house. With $20 they are far better than anything else I've seen, but once they start going above 30 there are other options available (not really with unlimited, but if you are a good WiFi user then you can find adequate plans in the 30s). But everything I've seen goes along with what andreas said where the rate should stay very low. maybe they will do more with what they are doing now where you get a discounted rate on the phone for paying a higher monthly rate, but it seems to me that we can expect similar rates in the future. It does seem that at some point the people that abuse the unlimited data should be punished in some way or ones that don't are rewarded somehow....maybe $5 extra for people that use more than 2GB in a month or something like that? Maybe even an extra $1/month would at least give some incentive to the people that don't care as much about the community or how it might effect them long term. I guess for marketing you wouldn't want to invoke the fear that there are random fees and it is not truly unlimited though. Anyway, as long as RW can continue doing what they are doing it is great the way it is!

1 Bar

I would hope that since we are agreeing to pay the FULL price of the new phone (whatever price it ends up) that we'd keep paying the same service price as all of the other customers who also paid full price for their own phones ($19/mo).
        RW's main focus is "cheaper service for all" after all...
        And if we take the full price of a more-expensive phone, that's really no skin off RW's nose, and thus there is no logical need to increase their monthly service costs because we chose to spend more money on a different phone.

As garethl had touched on: If RW goes any higher above the $30 threshhold, they'll lose the majority of their customer base because most of their customer base consists of the frugal-minded who can't/won't pay for phone service above $35 (like me. I've given up smart phones because I won't pay $60/mo for what is essentially a cell phone with a net-book built in. Right now, I'm fine paying $32/mo for the clear service wherever I go with my "dumb" flip-phone whilst bringing a net-book with me -in which I don't have to pay a monthly service fee- for all other entertainment/wifi things.)

While nothing is truly in the impossible, I just don't see RW going so drastically against its entire business model, and then shooting itself in the foot by having the company's primary customer base crumple like a house of cards... It's not a possibility that I'd bet on. And if they *do* do that, then all my problems with waiting on RW are solved = I just go somewhere else and forget about them. *shrug*

jwallpe 1 Bar

I'm in wave "A" and have yet to upgrade from the LG. Will the phone be free if I upgrade and go to the $29 plan? (Due to the $100 off)

philh 2 Bar

One thing that gave me pause before ordering, was that I would pay $250 for my phone and need the $19/mo rate to stay the same for just over 2 years to pay off the phone, if I allow for $10/mo to the phone purchase charge.  Since there is no contract, the price could rise anytime which would make the deal less attractive.  I decided that it would probably stay at $19 long enough and I'd take the risk.

You might sell a few more phones if RW guarantees with the individual that their $19 per month charge will not increase for two years.

1 Bar

I clicked the link, it says it has been deleted??  I'm a newbie to Republic, my 2yr contract with my current service does not expire until June of this year.  Will Republic have new smart phones available by then?  Will they be LTE?  What is the expected cost for the phones as well as the service at that time?